Sharon Ni Bheolain = Affectation? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-05-2008, 15:09   #1
LordSutch

Sharon Ni Bheolain = Affectation?

I cannot believe that Sharon Ni Bheolain is still employed by RTE to read the Six-One News, she is truly awful in my opinion.

Everyone knows who I'm talking about ~ Yes that's right, the sexy one who looks like she has been shrink wrapped in cling film before being poured into a barbie doll dress

Every evening she does my head-in, & no doubt also 'does-in' poor long suffering Brian Dobson's head also.

What really grates with me is her silly 'gravel effect' voice which she has obviously cultivated, in which she seems to dileberately drag certain words through the depths of her throat gravel, gravel, gravel to make her sound more interesting maybe or more mature (with more authority)??? whatever the reason, that silly 'voice thing' really does my head-in, add to that her even sillier punctuation, which seems to have commas in the middle, of some sentences, but not in others ? whilst at the same time she speaks to us (the viewers) in a very slow & excessively patronising way (as if we are slightly retarded)? and finally, whats with her Make-up artist?

God preserve us, whats going on with the Panda Eyes, the Rouge, the Eye Liner & the mascara, the always unpredictable Mad Hair ??? Am I the only one to think that its totally OTT for a professional News reader?

The first time I heard Sharon I wanted to send a Box of Strepsills in the post to ease her sore & croaky throat, but then after about three weeks I thought 'Hang on a Minute' this 'Craoky Voice' thing is an Act?
(or just pure Affectation)?

There must I thought, be other more capable, more mature Female Newsreaders who RTE could employ for the Six-One News? Gráinne Seoige comes to mind (A true professional News reader) without Affectation.

Listening & Watching Sharon on the Six-One was funny at first, but its gone beyond a joke now, & its embarrassing when you compare her to female presenters from other Stations (or even to other RTE News readers).

Anyone agree or disagree with my observations? feel free to comment . . . .

Last edited by LordSutch; 15-05-2008 at 16:49.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-05-2008, 16:35   #2
mike65
Closed Account

Most readers have some sort of "character quirk" it seems, the one who is the Bheolain Mimi Me Siun Nic Gearailt has the look of a potential killer, just something slightly angry about her!

Sharon is a bit of clothes horse but its the way of the world - would Eileen Dunne get a gig if she were 25?

Mike.
15-05-2008, 23:42   #3
Radio Mad.

Sharon and Siun are absolute crackers all right, but their newsreading abilities leave a lot to be desired. Whereas, Anne Doyle and Eileen Dunne wouldn't float my boat but are excellent readers. Unfortunately you can't have everything
16-05-2008, 10:08   #4
Jip

Heathen, Kill him !!!
Sharon is the main reason most red blooded mails watch the 6.1 news I reckon.
Being serious though, I don't find her voice or manner a problem at all, she's perfectly apt at news reading.
16-05-2008, 12:11   #5
gordon_gekko
Banned

ive never found sharon in any way sexy
shes incredibly boring and devoid of any charisma

ive heard shes very shy

ann doyle is very sexy where as eileen dunne is more nun or wise aunty material
Advertisement
16-05-2008, 12:15   #6
jdivision

She's not shy. She's a bit of a diva according to my mates who know her. The voice is certainly affected but the thing that annoys me most is the fact she's absolutely crap at interviews. She's not a journalist, she shouldn't be doing it cos she's just terrible at it. Woeful.
16-05-2008, 21:52   #7
DMC

Send a message via ICQ to DMC Send a message via AIM to DMC Send a message via Yahoo to DMC Send a message via Skype™ to DMC
I've not a problem with her. She's fine.

RTÉ must be the only organisation that still has newsreaders as opposed to journalists doing the news*. Anne Doyle and Eileen Dunne don't exactly cut the mustard on two-ways either.

But, I still think that Una O'Hagan should come back to 6-1, if she can.

EDIT: just thought of ARD's Taggeshau, but they don't do two-ways, and look down at the script, not read it from autocues.

Last edited by DMC; 16-05-2008 at 21:54.
16-05-2008, 23:42   #8
FlutterinBantam
Banned

Yep auld Shar cultivated the gravelly throaty voice and the lip pout everytime she finishes a sentence.Loves herself I would opine.Doesn't harden my wood so to speak.

Hows an ever an anyways ,she's not likely to get any bad vibes from that, and Ar. T E know it.
17-05-2008, 02:52   #9
Overdraft

The Sharon affectation business is comical at this stage, I'm beginning to think she's taking the p1ss. 'Dublin', for example, should really consist of two syllables, but Sharon manages to stretch it to four: "Du-bah-uh-lin".

Anne Doyle and Eileen Dunne, however, are, in my very humble opinion, by far the best newsreaders on Irish television. Those who fail to notice this, too busy are they studying mascara and lipstick, should probably stick to watching 'Willy Enlargements Live', or whatever it is TV3 air at 9.0.
Advertisement
17-05-2008, 09:52   #10
LordSutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC View Post
But, I still think that Una O'Hagan should come back to 6-1, if she can. EDIT: just thought of ARD's Taggeshau, but they don't do two-ways, and look down at the script, not read it from autocues.
I agree with you 100% about Una O'Hagan & I feel a little sorry for her being 'put out to grass' to make way for Sharon Ni gravelly throat, & your right too about the script which she seems to look down at quite a lot, usually just before she sticks out her bottom lip (pouting)? & as for her 'Make Up' Artist . . . .

Last edited by LordSutch; 17-05-2008 at 10:00.
17-05-2008, 10:52   #11
DMC

Send a message via ICQ to DMC Send a message via AIM to DMC Send a message via Yahoo to DMC Send a message via Skype™ to DMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurF View Post
I agree with you 100% about Una O'Hagan & I feel a little sorry for her being 'put out to grass' to make way for Sharon Ni gravelly throat, & your right too about the script which she seems to look down at quite a lot, usually just before she sticks out her bottom lip (pouting)? & as for her 'Make Up' Artist . . . .
I didn't mean Sharon does that hugely, a lot of newsreaders will look down to emphasise that they are reading a quote. Huw Edwards does this to a T.

What I mean is Tagesschau on ARD don't use autocues to read the news. The autocue is used for announcements at the end and perhaps at the lead-off, but the rest of the news is off the table.

ARD make a Video Podcast of Tagesschau available on iTunes or on their website. It might look arcane to some people, but I think it looks authoritative. You don't have to know German to see what I mean.
17-05-2008, 11:01   #12
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
the germans are good at authorative.
17-05-2008, 12:27   #13
LordSutch

I watch BBC, RTE, ITN, & SKY News mostly, & to be honest I didnt know what 'ARD's Taggeshau' was until I klicked on your Link (its a German Station right)?

I am sure the Germans, French, Swiss etc do TV News very differently to us.
17-05-2008, 14:04   #14
DMC

ARD, or "Das Erste", or "The First" is the equivalent of BBC 1 or RTE 1, the main TV channel of the nations main public service broadcaster.
17-05-2008, 14:29   #15
LordSutch

Cheers for that DMC, but do any of the female presenters slap-on the eye liner like Sharon?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion