9 July (Early morning) - Placed my order and recieved my confirmation email. I supplied a VAT number so I needed to wait for another email from them to pay them. The order comes to €568.87 inc vat.
10 July (Afternoon) - I email them asking for the updated price as i hadnt recieved it
10 July (Late Afternoon) - I ring them and ask about the updated price, I get told that it can take a couple of days. I also enquired about updating the quantity of the order and was told I could by email.
10 July (Later afternoon) - I send them an email asking them to update my quantity of hard drives from 1 to 2
13 July - I recieve an email from "Elke" saying off :
|we confirm the modification about your order the total amount is 568,87 €|
14 July - I recieve an email form a diffrent service rep, completely in german, informing me my new price is €478.04, but they do not say if it includes the second HD or not (going by the precentage reduction it couldn't include the hard drive)
14 July - I recieve an email from "Elke" saying:
|the order is include the Samsung HD103SI 1TB SATA II EcoGreen, 32 and the total amount is 478,04 € include VAT.|
15 July - I decide to just pay the 478.04 amount and see what comes. So I pay it in Bank of Ireland. From teh last time i made an order with them i knew they did not provide enough info in their email to fill out the bank transfer so I found an old thread on boards that someone listed all teh info needed.
17 July - Recieve an email saying they havent recieved payment
I've been trying to ring them since the 13th and i cant! I've rang them from my phone (which i rang them with on the 10th), My mams phone, my home phone and the work phone.. none of them even rang!