Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-05-2008, 11:42   #1
stevoman

spray for bitch in heat

somebody said to me the other day thats there's a spray i can get to put on a bitch in heat that will deter the smell of her in season and prevent any dogs coming near her. anyone know anything about this?
Advertisement
14-05-2008, 12:57   #2
kerrysgold

why don't you just get her spayed?
14-05-2008, 13:14   #3
stevoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrysgold View Post
why don't you just get her spayed?
because i will eventually breed from her. Im just wondering has anyone heard about this spray or do they know anything about it?
14-05-2008, 13:51   #4
kerrysgold

well unless she's an excellent example of her breed (pure, good bloodlines, perfect conformation + temperament etc) then you shouldn't breed her anyway. I'm not saying she isn't, but there isn't any point in breeding a so-so dog in case she is.
14-05-2008, 14:16   #5
stevoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrysgold View Post
well unless she's an excellent example of her breed (pure, good bloodlines, perfect conformation + temperament etc) then you shouldn't breed her anyway. I'm not saying she isn't, but there isn't any point in breeding a so-so dog in case she is.
Yes she is all the above.
Does anyone have any info on this spray i have heard about?
Advertisement
14-05-2008, 14:21   #6
Sigma Force

I think there is a spray available but not sure how effective it is, a dog that smells a bitch in heat can be very determined so the only ans is really keeping her behind a very high fence. It's more difficult when out walking though.

There is a jab they can get (I think to prevent heat but you would have to talk to your vet about that ) but this has a lot of side effect I believe in. Mabey someone else can shed more light on that.

Unless the dog is registered and is a very good quality spaying is the best way to permanently keep dogs away from her depending on her breed the market is already over run with dogs not all of the highest quality. Not saying yours isn't but its something to consider and will solve the long term problem some dogs can stay in heat for a long time which can be a nuisance.
14-05-2008, 14:24   #7
stevoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineapigrescue View Post
I think there is a spray available but not sure how effective it is, a dog that smells a bitch in heat can be very determined so the only ans is really keeping her behind a very high fence. It's more difficult when out walking though.
have you heard of anyone that has used it or its results?
14-05-2008, 14:28   #8
Susannahmia

I bought it once in a shop that sells horse and general animal supplies, brown animal feeds in laois. Its called bitch spray, I don't know if it is any good though, I got it for my friend as a joke.

Here is a pic of her with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bitch spray.jpg (37.9 KB, 291 views)
Thanks from:
14-05-2008, 14:32   #9
Sigma Force

A neighbour tried it for medical reasons the dog can't be spayed and even with high fencing there is one male in particular who still managed to get in. With dogs sense of smell being to acute I don't think a spray would work very well. Its not expensive should be able to get it in the pet shop I think it's made by Johnsons you could give it a try anyway.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-05-2008, 14:32   #10
stevoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannahmia View Post
I bought it once in a shop that sells horse and general animal supplies, brown animal feeds in laois. Its called bitch spray, I don't know if it is any good though, I got it for my friend as a joke.

Here is a pic of her with it.
great im in laois, i'l check it out. thanks

ps- -your very cheeky!
14-05-2008, 21:26   #11
Ruby Soho

Personally I think all of these sprays are probably rubbish, considering that a male dog can smell a bitch in heat from up to 4 MILES away, no smell in a can is going to cover that effect, is it? Just keep her indoors and under supervision, all you can do.
15-05-2008, 11:14   #12
Vas_Guy

In my kennels, I've a separate exercise area for bitches in heat I would not rely on sprays.

Keep a close eye on her when she is in heat as accidents can happen very easily

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion