Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-05-2008, 15:38   #1
Macroom Man
Closed Account

Walking on Ben Bulben?

What is the easiest way to climb Ben Bulben, and is there a problem with local landowners?

I have been persuaded to go up to Sligo next week to climb the mountain but I have lost faith in the "organiser" who I now realise has not done his homework eg checking the route.

Any Sligo people able to advise, please?
Advertisement
09-05-2008, 19:09   #2
bobcar61

I would advise you go up the main way,there is a carpark and then a pathway up the mountain,its probably the safest and most frequently used.
I wouldn't advise going too off track as just a couple of days ago the body of a Polish man was found on the mountain after he had fallen and its expected that he died instantly.
10-05-2008, 11:29   #3
tuppence
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcar61 View Post
I would advise you go up the main way,there is a carpark and then a pathway up the mountain,its probably the safest and most frequently used.
I wouldn't advise going too off track as just a couple of days ago the body of a Polish man was found on the mountain after he had fallen and its expected that he died instantly.
Oh no did he die? Thats awful sad.
10-05-2008, 13:30   #4
JIZZLORD

Send a message via MSN to JIZZLORD
Does the main way go on yer man "the bull"s land?
12-05-2008, 22:03   #5
Macroom Man
Closed Account

Quote:
Many thanks for this advice.

I may suggest these two climb Knocknarea as an alternative - neither of them are Spring Chickens - and use your route for another, fitter party.

thanks again.
Advertisement
13-05-2008, 00:13   #6
bobcar61

Oops my bad I'm after getting Benbulben mixed up with Knocknarea and I didn't realise it until now.
Can't believe I made the mistake and I've lived in Sligo for nearly 15 years!
13-05-2008, 16:11   #7
Macroom Man
Closed Account

Quote:
Oops my bad I'm after getting Benbulben mixed up with Knocknarea and I didn't realise it until now.
Can't believe I made the mistake and I've lived in Sligo for nearly 15 years!
Worse things happen at sea!
19-05-2010, 09:25   #8
Apanachi

So, I'm digging up this thread again, which IS the best (safest!!!) route to take? Tried climbing it as a teenager (took the dangerous climb, nearly fell off - won't be doing that again)
19-05-2010, 09:38   #9
ems_12

After speaking with Michael Quirke (wood carver, great general knowledge on Sligo, and Irish myth/legend), he doesn't recommend climbing to the top of Ben Bulben - it's mainly bog up there and quite dangerous if you don't know the route.....his advice was don't go unless you have someone who knows the way!

I remember climbing part of the mountain with cub scouts, but I don't think we went to the top, or through the Bull's land......
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-05-2010, 10:00   #10
Apanachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems_12 View Post
or through the Bull's land......
Think I'd rather fall of the North Face than do that
19-05-2010, 16:51   #11
Scarlet42

Round the Back!

Drive along the Bundoran road .... take the turn off to Ballintrillick, keep going untill you get to a crossroads, turn left .. follow that road round the base of the mountain .. passing a water treatment place .. then you will get to another junction, turn left .. along a small road .. which has a river running along side it .. follow the river until you come to a stone "bridge" - (Luke's Bridge) .. cross the bridge - carefully .. it always scares me! .. drive along the bog road a good bit .. Park the car along the side .. then Walk to gully between Benbulbin and Benwisken ... once at the top of the gully turn right and walk along the top of the mountain .. get to the triangulation point .. then turn left .. keep walking and it will bring you to the .. corner of the mountain .. there is a little triangle of grass here and the view is just amazing! Its a great picnic spot!

The most difficult part is walking up the Gully between the two mountains (and Driving across Lukes Bridge!) you won't be walking over McSharrys land .. you will if you turn left instead of right at the top of the Gully.

Sean
(3) thanks from:
20-05-2010, 08:04   #12
Apanachi

Thanks Sean, now to hope for decent weather to make the hike
20-05-2010, 09:18   #13
Scarlet42

Still don't know my Left from my right!!

Sorry .. just re-read this and said left instead of right ... correct version below!

Drive along the Bundoran road .... take the turn off on the right to Ballintrillick, keep going until you get to a crossroads, turn right .. follow that road round the base of the mountain .. passing a water treatment place .. then you will get to another junction, turn right .. along a small road .. which has a river running along side it .. follow the river until you come to a stone "bridge" - (Luke's Bridge) .. cross the bridge - carefully .. it always scares me! .. drive along the bog road a good bit - the further u drive along here the less you have to walk!.. Park the car along the side .. then Walk to gully between Benbulbin and Benwisken - on the right hand corner ... once at the top of the gully turn right and walk along the top of the mountain .. get to the triangulation point .. then turn left .. keep walking and it will bring you to the .. corner of the mountain .. there is a little triangle of grass here and the view is just amazing! Its a great picnic spot!

The most difficult part is walking up the Gully between the two mountains (and Driving across Lukes Bridge!) you won't be walking over McSharrys land .. you will if you turn left instead of right at the top of the Gully.

Sean

Last edited by Scarlet42; 20-05-2010 at 09:26.
(2) thanks from:
05-07-2010, 23:16   #14
donal.hunt

Climbing Benbulben from Barnaribbon?

Anyone know if access to Benbulben from Barnaribbon (on the south side) has been blocked and what the reason for doing so is?

I was up that way today and the route I used in previous years (last time was 2006) had a gate that was locked, heightened and had a sign saying "private property" (i.e. it wasn't passable). Coming down from Kings mountain via the shepherd's path we came across an unlocked gate but it also had a "private property; no trespassing sign" (would have put me off going up that way).

Is access to Benbulben a big issue at the moment? I don't personally want to piss people off by crossing their land but leaving no clues about who to contact regarding enquiries isn't particularly helpful (no contact details on any of the signs). i.e. If there are recognised routes to use, I would much prefer to use them (especially if older routes are no longer available).

Scarlet42: I did the north route you mentioned many years ago (probably mid-90s) and it's a tougher walk than on the south side. I personally like the south route because you get to stay in the sun and stay warmer than you typically do in the shade of the north face.
06-07-2010, 11:23   #15
Scarlet42

Barna Ribbon

Hi Donal,

haven't heard of any access issues on Benbulbin at the moment .. but I do know there is a new walk setup from Barna Ribbon .. a new car Park has been created and a path leads to road which goes around the base of the mountain. You can get to this from the Bundoran road and follow the BarnaRibbon sign and its at the very top of that round in a Cul-de-sac. .. Its really well done.

Have never done the south route ..maybe this summer.

I went up benwisken a few weeks back .. went up the same route as above but turned left at the top of the gully .. fantastic walk .. views of Benbulbin are amazing ..as are those of the Horseshoe .. there is a fence that runs along the top, which I assume is Mr. McSharrys land .. so didn't cross it. .. got as far as I could and had a lovely lunch overlooking Classie Bawn. Took a more direct route back straight into the bog run in that Valley.

I cycled around Gleniff Valley on Sunday..it was stunning .. even in the rain!

Sean

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion