Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
04-05-2008, 16:34   #1
bradaun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 18
Sheep wire fencing cost???

Does anyone know the cost of having contractors put up sheep fencing, ie, sheepwire and two strands of barbed with treated posts at 3 yard intervals?

Also, the cost of sheep-proof fence using concrete posts, again using a contractor?

Thanks a mil.

B
bradaun is offline  
Advertisement
04-05-2008, 20:24   #2
ravima
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rep of Cork
Posts: 703
I don't know the cost, but Farm Relief I found are ebst for any fencing jobs. You can reclaim the VAT element from Revenue Commissioners. It is far better than getting a 'cash' job from someone as they have some quality standards, which the cash chap may not have
ravima is offline  
04-05-2008, 20:38   #3
wallycool
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 69
I got fencing done last year and it cost me 5.50euros a metre with two strands of barbed and sheep wire ,a post was every 5 yards. It was a cash job. Excellent job

Last edited by wallycool; 04-05-2008 at 20:41.
wallycool is offline  
06-05-2008, 21:51   #4
gordon_gekko
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravima View Post
I don't know the cost, but Farm Relief I found are ebst for any fencing jobs. You can reclaim the VAT element from Revenue Commissioners. It is far better than getting a 'cash' job from someone as they have some quality standards, which the cash chap may not have

my uncle reckons farm relief are not only much more expensive than a private contractor , they usually have different staff ( cheap foreign ) in one week and out the next
gordon_gekko is offline  
14-05-2008, 13:16   #5
razor8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 872
sheep wire cost €40 for 50m roll with 7 squares galvanised and grant approved, good post are anything from €2 to €2.75 depending on sizes. a few very good contractors in Cavan/Leitrim area
razor8 is offline  
Advertisement
15-05-2008, 16:38   #6
kfk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 520
Can vat be reclaimed on the cost of labour for sheep fencing? I know it can be reclaimed on post and wire. Labour for erecting sheep wire, barb wire and posts (5 yards) is costing me 1.20/metre.

Last edited by kfk; 15-05-2008 at 16:42.
kfk is offline  
16-05-2008, 11:47   #7
meathstevie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,582
Of course you can reclaim the VAT on the labour cost. You can reclaim all the VAT on the invoice. You could also ask your contractor to make you up an invoice stating something like "sheep fencing supplied and fitted, xxx yards at xx euro/yard".
meathstevie is offline  
15-04-2011, 10:09   #8
brownswiss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 362
Sheep Fencing

I would be interesting to have some updated prices now since the new spec has come in for the treated posts
brownswiss is offline  
15-04-2011, 12:41   #9
johngalway
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 10,036
At those prices I'd do it myself

Done (I lie, I've the stakes up, waiting on wire) 160 metres internal fence over bad ground just 3 foot sheep wire, no barb, for €275. At €5.50 a meter that's €880

No doubt they'd use better quality material than I have, but still...
johngalway is offline  
Advertisement
15-04-2011, 12:46   #10
brownswiss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 362
Thanks John

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngalway View Post
At those prices I'd do it myself

Done (I lie, I've the stakes up, waiting on wire) 160 metres internal fence over bad ground just 3 foot sheep wire, no barb, for €275. At €5.50 a meter that's €880

No doubt they'd use better quality material than I have, but still...
Actually they will NOT use better quality material unless you pay extra for it.
brownswiss is offline  
15-04-2011, 13:02   #11
Username John
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Cork
Posts: 1,832
I got a quote for grant spec stuff, for the Sheep handling scheme from FRS start Feb (so may be out of date now, need to check actually)

7' strainers = €14.87
6' posts, 4-5" = €5.57
Sheep wire = €123.96
HT barbed wire = €42

Those prices are ex-VAT.. So that works out about 3euro / metre.
Username John is offline  
15-04-2011, 19:50   #12
charityboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallycool View Post
I got fencing done last year and it cost me 5.50euros a metre with two strands of barbed and sheep wire ,a post was every 5 yards. It was a cash job. Excellent job
a costly job
charityboy is offline  
15-04-2011, 19:55   #13
charityboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username John View Post
I got a quote for grant spec stuff, for the Sheep handling scheme from FRS start Feb (so may be out of date now, need to check actually)

7' strainers = €14.87
6' posts, 4-5" = €5.57
Sheep wire = €123.96
HT barbed wire = €42

Those prices are ex-VAT.. So that works out about 3euro / metre.
prices on the posts and strainers are about right the prices for wire are through the roof try stockproof fencing products for a price on wire they are the main importers for tornado wire in ireland
charityboy is offline  
27-04-2011, 00:05   #14
gazahayes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: O'Bamaville
Posts: 173
I just got a few loads of stakes and sheep wire.
works out at 90 euro cash for the sheep wire and
paying about 2.50 for 6 foot 4 inch round profile/pencil stakes.
Didn't want vat docket so didn't have to pay it makes it cheaper anyway
gazahayes is offline  
10-05-2011, 22:11   #15
jullins
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazahayes View Post
I just got a few loads of stakes and sheep wire.
works out at 90 euro cash for the sheep wire and
paying about 2.50 for 6 foot 4 inch round profile/pencil stakes.
Didn't want vat docket so didn't have to pay it makes it cheaper anyway
great price for teh wire where did u get it?
jullins is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet