Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-05-2008, 15:07   #1
nataliehun

rent allowance and landlords

Last edited by nataliehun; 04-05-2008 at 21:15. Reason: .....
Advertisement
03-05-2008, 15:11   #2
BigglesMcGee

far as i know a landlord is entitled to examine the ability of the tennant to pay the rent regularly (among other things) and then decide if they want to want to take that person on.

Much like a bank with a mortgage application.

I would have thought most landlords would accept rent allowance anyway.
Just dont bother going near those who dont.
03-05-2008, 15:20   #3
snubbleste

It's not compulsory.

Most landlords do not accept rent supplement tenants at all. If you look at daft.ie, there are many ads saying No rent supplement tenants.

There are many reasons why they don't.
03-05-2008, 16:25   #4
nataliehun

rent allowance

!!

Last edited by nataliehun; 04-05-2008 at 21:15. Reason: ...
03-05-2008, 17:56   #5
athtrasna

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliehun View Post
seems to me no one accepts even tho its garenteed rent!!
A quick search of posts on here and you'll find all sorts of problems landlords have had with rent allowance tenants. It's not guaranteed rent as many recipients get the money themselves and don't pay the landlord, it's not automatically paid to the landlord (though I think there is a facility you can set up to have this done).

Would I rent to someone with RA? Probably not if I could get a professional in. No guarantee of the kind of tenant I know but I've heard too many horror stories to risk it.
Advertisement
03-05-2008, 18:25   #6
seahorse

Quote:
does anyone know is complussary for landlords to accept rent allowance by law?
It is not.

Anyone in receipt of rent allowance has my sympathies as they find themselves judged, stereotyped and discriminated against when looking for accomodation almost anywhere they go. It's a lucky thing that every landlord doesnt share the view, othewise we'd have many more homeless people on the streets then we already do.
Thanks from:
03-05-2008, 18:25   #7
gurramok
Closed Account

And it does mean that the landlord who does not accept RA nor is regged with the PRTB is not on the Revenue radar for tax liability.
03-05-2008, 20:21   #8
nataliehun

Horror Stories! Ya Right

No guarantee of the kind of tenant I know but I've heard too many horror stories to risk it.[/quote]

and how can you guarantee a professional .? from the stories ive heard they can cause more problems than anyone else...some of us are good people and want to have a roof over our childrens heads.....usually if the case is a single mother has rent allowance its because the bum of a father either ran off/too lasy to pay maintence or work or simply doesnt show up..NOT CAUSE THE MOTHER ISNT A WORKING PROFESSIONAL.so i dont think its single mothers are to blaim for this situation its men that dont pull there wait as fathers.(and that is ireland is a huge %)while the mothers are working when they can even 2 jobs to pay for childcare while they are also trying to study at home and pay college fees....... so that my friend is a horror story for the mother and child NOT THE LANDLORD.. can landlords not make that a request that it goes into there bank a/c?
03-05-2008, 20:30   #9
nataliehun

prtb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurramok View Post
And it does mean that the landlord who does not accept RA nor is regged with the PRTB is not on the Revenue radar for tax liability.

prtb==???
Advertisement
04-05-2008, 12:00   #10
Calina

PRTB is the regulatory authority for dealing with tenancy disputes. By law all tenancy agreements must be registered with them. There's a website at www.prtb.ie

Gurramok's statement makes no sense to me. I don't think it automatically follows that someone who does not want rental allowance tenants is not registered with the PRTB or is non-tax compliant.
04-05-2008, 12:30   #11
gurramok
Closed Account

My statement was not to label all those who do not want rental allowance tenants as not registered with the PRTB as non-tax compliant.'

It was meant to say that some can do it that way to avoid detection of paying tax.
04-05-2008, 13:30   #12
seahorse

Quote:
usually if the case is a single mother has rent allowance its because the bum of a father either ran off/too lasy to pay maintence or work or simply doesnt show up..NOT CAUSE THE MOTHER ISNT A WORKING PROFESSIONAL.so i dont think its single mothers are to blaim for this situation its men that dont pull there wait as fathers.(and that is ireland is a huge %)while the mothers are working when they can even 2 jobs to pay for childcare while they are also trying to study at home and pay college fees....... so that my friend is a horror story for the mother and child NOT THE LANDLORD..
How true. Thank you for that nataliehun; I was in exactly the situation you describe from '98 - '05 while I was at PLC college and then university, and it's not a situation the majority of landlords are sympathetic to.

As for the rent allowance, yes a landlord can request direct debit. That was true prior to '05 so I'm sure it's still true today.
04-05-2008, 14:01   #13
Chinafoot
Closed Account

I don't want to sound harsh or anything but landlords don't have any moral obligation to rent out to those that are down on their luck. Yes you're a single mother working hard to put yourself through college to provide a better life for your child. That's great. However, that's not the landlords problem.

Landlords are there to make money on their property and they are going to go for the tenant that has a regular and secure income. For them, the working professional may seem like the best tenant to go for. Yeah there are horror stories on both sides and it's terrible that everyone on rent allowance gets lumped in as a waster or a sponger or whatever, but from a business point of view many landlords might not want to take the risk.
04-05-2008, 15:36   #14
athtrasna

Well said Chinafoot!
04-05-2008, 16:58   #15
seahorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinafoot View Post
I don't want to sound harsh or anything but landlords don't have any moral obligation to rent out to those that are down on their luck. Yes you're a single mother working hard to put yourself through college to provide a better life for your child. That's great. However, that's not the landlords problem.

Landlords are there to make money on their property and they are going to go for the tenant that has a regular and secure income. For them, the working professional may seem like the best tenant to go for. Yeah there are horror stories on both sides and it's terrible that everyone on rent allowance gets lumped in as a waster or a sponger or whatever, but from a business point of view many landlords might not want to take the risk.
Excuse me Chinafoot, but I believe everyone has a moral obligation not to discriminate against somebody on the grounds that their child’s father has shirked his responsibilities; it is enough to deal with in itself without being discriminated against because of it. I also would expect a person old enough to have a property available for rent in the first place to have enough maturity and intelligence not to tar everyone in any social group with the same brush.

As far as rent being paid regularly and in a secure manner, a landlord cannot hope to get paid his rent more regularly or securely than in the form of a direct debit from a government department.

I am not sure if you were referring to me or the OP as a student by the way, but if you were referring to me I am not a single mother working hard to put myself through college: I have long since done that.

Last edited by seahorse; 04-05-2008 at 17:13. Reason: wanted to add something

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion