Floating around an 800m - Page 176 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-03-2012, 13:07   #2626
pconn062

Hi Woddle, just thought I'd give me 2 cents here. I think a progression run is not a bad idea here. You could head out @ 7.10 pace for the 3 miles or so to warm up and if you're feeling good up it to 7.00 min miling. Get to half way and you're feeling like your jogging up the pace and go for broke, see how close to 1.30 you can get. You got some solid training done thee that wouldn't have gone to waste.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-03-2012, 13:35   #2627
tunguska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woddle View Post
Did a 10k tempo in 42:59 back in the middle of Feb and I have a comment in my log saying I could have done another 3 or 4 but no more. I also think I'd be close to sub 70 for 10. If I had of raced a 10 miler in the middle of Feb I think I could have ran the time above but a lot has happened since then.

(by the way just looking at the club facebook page, congrats on Mallow, maybe all the hard training for Dublin and since is obviously paying off.
I think you should go for it. It seems that physically you have the capacity, the only thing that would stand in your way is self doubt. Go off at 6:50, know that you have at least 10k at that pace in you. Be aware that its probably gonna feel hard straight away, but dont give in to this. Dont fall into the trap of thinking that it should be comfortable. If you expect it to be uncomfortable all the way then nothing can throw you off or deter you from reaching your goal. Dont be afraid of the pace, dont let it psych you out. I'd be pretty sure there'll be a group going for sub 90 so get yourself into that group and commit to being the last man standing. Let other people drop off. Once you get to 10miles gone there'll probably be an overwhelming urge to slow down, especially if you go through in an unoffical PB. Bargaining is a wolf in sheeps clothing. You gotta make a promise to yourself that no matter what happens you wont make bargains no matter how tempting the offer. When you get inside the last mile, gun it, no matter how you feel, because you wont feel like accelerating. But you can. So many times in the last mile of a race I've felt like theres no way I could ramp it up. But thats the mind playing games. Its a leap of faith, you gotta trust that your body will respond.
(3) thanks from:
24-03-2012, 13:42   #2628
pconn062

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunguska View Post
I think you should go for it. It seems that physically you have the capacity, the only thing that would stand in your way is self doubt. Go off at 6:50, know that you have at least 10k at that pace in you. Be aware that its probably gonna feel hard straight away, but dont give in to this. Dont fall into the trap of thinking that it should be comfortable. If you expect it to be uncomfortable all the way then nothing can throw you off or deter you from reaching your goal. Dont be afraid of the pace, dont let it psych you out. I'd be pretty sure there'll be a group going for sub 90 so get yourself into that group and commit to being the last man standing. Let other people drop off. Once you get to 10miles gone there'll probably be an overwhelming urge to slow down, especially if you go through in an unoffical PB. Bargaining is a wolf in sheeps clothing. You gotta make a promise to yourself that no matter what happens you wont make bargains no matter how tempting the offer. When you get inside the last mile, gun it, no matter how you feel, because you wont feel like accelerating. But you can. So many times in the last mile of a race I've felt like theres no way I could ramp it up. But thats the mind playing games. Its a leap of faith, you gotta trust that your body will respond.
Actually this sounds like a much more impressive way to tackle the race, I'm starting to like this all or nothing approach!
25-03-2012, 22:03   #2629
Woddle
Closed Account

Cheers for the input guys, plenty to think about.

Today was a 10 miler with 30 mins at in and around goal pace. I decided not to look at the watch during the 30 mins and just concentrate on finding the groove.

Turns out the splits for the 30 mins were
Mile 1 - 6:43 (AHR 176)
Mile 2 - 6:53 (AHR 183)
Mile 3 - 7:06 (AHR 184)
Mile 4 - 7:10 (AHR 186)
the rest - 7:02 (AHR 186)

Normally the above splits would indicate poor endurance but I don't think that's the case tonight as aerobically I felt great. I'm putting it down to the pain in my calfs. They were hurting more and more with every stride (very painful) and I can hardly walk right now. I didn't really feel the slowing down, definitely the calfs in my opinion.
I think there sore because I've worn my racers on nearly all my runs this week and I also feel I was dehydrated and poorly fueled.
Take away the excuses and I'm really happy with this run, things are looking up.

Last edited by Woddle; 26-03-2012 at 08:26. Reason: luck, look
25-03-2012, 22:10   #2630
theboyblunder

Quote:

Today was a 10 miler with 30 mins at in and around goal pace. I decided not to luck at the watch during the 30 mins and just concentrate on finding the groove.

Maybe the week off was just what you needed! Stretch the crap out of those calves.

6:43 looks a little hot for your first mile to me, and it was pretty warm today, so thats great stuff. My two cents would be to start at 6:50-7:00 (no faster) and ease your way in to the race. I might be around one evening for an easy one if you want this week. Babysitter pending etc.
Advertisement
25-03-2012, 22:32   #2631
Woddle
Closed Account

The evening run sounds good. I'm actually walking like a penguin
I'm thinking a 7'15 first mile could be the way to go.
25-03-2012, 22:40   #2632
mithril

Quote:

Today was a 10 miler with 30 mins at in and around goal pace. I decided not to luck at the watch during the 30 mins and just concentrate on finding the groove.

Normally the above splits would indicate poor endurance but I don't think that's the case tonight as aerobically I felt great. I'm putting it down to the pain in my calfs. They were hurting more and more with every stride (very painful) and I can hardly walk right now. I didn't really feel the slowing down, definitely the calfs in my opinion.
I think there sore because I've worn my racers on nearly all my runs this week and I also feel I was dehydrated and poorly fueled.
Take away the excuses and I'm really happy with this run, things are looking up.
What's your maximum HR?
25-03-2012, 22:42   #2633
Woddle
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithril View Post
What's your maximum HR?
I recorded 199 at the end of Wednesdays xc ( not quite all out) but I know I can get above that and have recorded a 205 before.
25-03-2012, 22:51   #2634
mithril

Quote:
I recorded 199 at the end of Wednesdays xc ( not quite all out) but I know I can get above that and have recorded a 205 before.
That's really high. I could not even hit 170 during a 5 mile race which I think would be flat out. I thought your HR figures were very high for a 10 mile training run but maybe not if your max is outside the normal range and it felt comfortable.
Advertisement
27-03-2012, 16:57   #2635
Woddle
Closed Account

Took yesterday off so as to let the calves get better, seems to have helped but still a little sore. Might book in for a massage.

4 miles in the heat at recovery pace. I could feel my calves the whole way round but if Sundays run was an 8 out of 10 for pain, today was about a 3.
28-03-2012, 21:17   #2636
Woddle
Closed Account

woddle 400s

Just for a bit of fun and to get the legs ticking over, I decided to do
10x400 with 200m jog recovery, I had yasso 800s in mind but in 400s and take the average and see what it predicts for my half marathon time (I did say fun)
I pretty much had the track to myself and conditions were perfect. I was going to run these in a controlled manner and no looking at the watch.
I knew I ran the 1st one too fast though despite my promise and copped myself on for the rest bar the last. I ended up only doing 8 reps but that was because my calves were starting to act up (only a little) as I know I could have done more reps.

Splits
84, 90, 91, 89
89, 87, 87, 84
recovery worked out at 88/90

So the woddle 400s reckon I can run a half in 1'27'38

Now I don't actually think that's as crazy as it sounds but it won't happen on Sunday but I wonder if I didn't waste 3/4 weeks a few weeks ago and maybe if I could have managed a few of Larrys prescribed 3x3 miles I wonder how close I could have got.

Anyway having had a chat with meno and reading a few of the replies from tunguska and pconn I'm going to go out at 7'10 pace and see how things are after a couple of miles. I'm starting to feel more confident and I'm prepared to hurt. I just need to sort the calves out and decide on what shoes I'm wearing, racers are definitely out as they are definitely a contributing factor to the problem, it also occurred to me that the xc race probably did me no favours.
29-03-2012, 09:16   #2637
RayCun

Turn off your heart rate display, take the first mile easy, and go for it
(2) thanks from:
29-03-2012, 09:34   #2638
Pisco Sour
Closed Account

Quote:
Splits
84, 90, 91, 89
89, 87, 87, 84
recovery worked out at 88/90
Never mind them 10x400 reps, I want to know how fast you can do one 400m, flat out

Seems like you are in good shape. Best of luck with the half. Smash it!
Thanks from:
29-03-2012, 10:25   #2639
menoscemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCun View Post
Turn off your heart rate display, take the first mile easy, and go for it
That was pretty much my advice but Woddle haggled me down to giving him a precise time target
Thanks from:
30-03-2012, 12:35   #2640
Woddle
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by menoscemo View Post
That was pretty much my advice but Woddle haggled me down to giving him a precise time target
Yep and I'll be taking it, promise not to look.

Just 20 mins to test the calves and the good news is my right calf seems to be back to normal. However my left is still pretty sore, so I won't run tomorrow and will just stretch and rest it.
The 20 mins went well, I tried to hone in on 7'15 pace and did about 9 mins at that pace (5,2,2).

Best of luck to all doing Conn, some serious times been mentioned.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion