Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-02-2008, 00:20   #1
Lauder

Car buffing, Reconditioning Paint Work

Does anyone know where (near Dublin) i could get my car professionally buffed? Few minor scratches and marks and paint if looking a bit dull. Needs to be lightly cut into and polished.

Cheers,
Advertisement
01-02-2008, 00:29   #2
roughan

go to www.permashine.ie
well worth it
01-02-2008, 02:30   #3
Masada
Banned

theres a new place near the richmond road oposite the esso garage and there doinf full valet pretty cheap, i think its about 60quid to have the car detailed from top to bottom, that might be a trade price though, not sure if he does it for people comming in off the street, in which case just tell him you were on to him and he quoted ya 60quid, their the type you can haggle with.,
01-02-2008, 02:43   #4
Seperate

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughan View Post
go to www.permashine.ie
well worth it
That's a film over the paint - hardly going to remove scratches on the paint work. I'd be skeptical of the effect of having that on the paint - long term.

OP - a full correction to remove defects/scratches will take 8-12 hours to do properly, so don't be pulled in by any of the 60euro for full job merchants. You are only going to have to pay to have their buffer trails removed afterwards!
01-02-2008, 10:07   #5
quarryman

Send a message via ICQ to quarryman Send a message via AIM to quarryman Send a message via MSN to quarryman Send a message via Yahoo to quarryman Send a message via Skype™ to quarryman
does anyone know somewhere to take swirls out of the paintwork?
Advertisement
01-02-2008, 11:24   #6
00sully

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarryman View Post
does anyone know somewhere to take swirls out of the paintwork?
err did you check the link above ur post?
01-02-2008, 11:40   #7
roughan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seperate View Post
That's a film over the paint - hardly going to remove scratches on the paint work. I'd be skeptical of the effect of having that on the paint - long term.

OP - a full correction to remove defects/scratches will take 8-12 hours to do properly, so don't be pulled in by any of the 60euro for full job merchants. You are only going to have to pay to have their buffer trails removed afterwards!
If you read the website it eliminates swirl marks
i have had it done and highly reccommend it
01-02-2008, 12:21   #8
sc4rf4ce

just buy yourself a paint buffer for around 30 or 40 in halfords, and a bottle of T-cut. it works a charm. I had a car and the paint looked so faded it was disgusting. gave it a T-cut and the paint work was restored. The results were amazing.
01-02-2008, 13:01   #9
Seperate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc4rf4ce View Post
just buy yourself a paint buffer for around 30 or 40 in halfords, and a bottle of T-cut. it works a charm. I had a car and the paint looked so faded it was disgusting. gave it a T-cut and the paint work was restored. The results were amazing.
Absolutely 100% do not follow that advise. You will be left with buffer trails and swirls imbedded into paintwork. The 'buffers' in halfords do more damage then good!

Google Port Cable 7424 or Ultimate Detailing Machine if you want to buy your own machine!
Advertisement
01-02-2008, 13:46   #10
quarryman

Send a message via ICQ to quarryman Send a message via AIM to quarryman Send a message via MSN to quarryman Send a message via Yahoo to quarryman Send a message via Skype™ to quarryman
ah. I saw a fancy flash site loading and forgot about it.

so it repairs swirls eh? The price list link seems to do nothing for me. Anyone know how much it costs?
01-02-2008, 13:47   #11
Masada
Banned

Quote:

thats a blatant attempt at spamming and getting free advertisment if every ive seen one., I work in crash repairs and have to polish cars a lot. and No, I dont leave any swirls in the paint or damage it at all and just because the above reccomentation i gave costs 60quid doesnt mean it will be a sub standard job., in my experience with them they have been pretty good.,
unless you are going to offer the OP advice on doing it for less/free then theres no reason why you would come on saying "not" how to do it.,

Last edited by Masada; 01-02-2008 at 13:53.
01-02-2008, 13:50   #12
Mayshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarryman View Post
ah. I saw a fancy flash site loading and forgot about it.

so it repairs swirls eh? The price list link seems to do nothing for me. Anyone know how much it costs?
You can rent my porter cable 7424 and 110V transformer from me if you want it for the weekend
01-02-2008, 14:11   #13
sc4rf4ce

Quote:
Absolutely 100% do not follow that advise. You will be left with buffer trails and swirls imbedded into paintwork. The 'buffers' in halfords do more damage then good!

Google Port Cable 7424 or Ultimate Detailing Machine if you want to buy your own machine!

well of course youre entitled to your opinion separate. But based on my experience with the T-cut and buffer I would reccomend that option as I was left with no trails or swirls of any kind. As long as you keep plenty of water on the paint work whilst applying the t-cut it will not burn the paint work or create any swirls or marks.
01-02-2008, 14:26   #14
TomMc

Lads, if you think you are going to remove swirl marks by hand you are in cloud cuckoo land. If you think T-Cut and a cheap polisher is going to do it, think again. Even with the right polisher and polishes it could take you many months of practice to even acquire the skills to remove them.

Permashine covers up swirls, not removes them. They will return at some stage down the line. Not worth paying E300 or 400 for that.

T-cut is so old fashioned and outdated it is a joke. It may cut paint but it will not remove swirls properly. Even the gloss it creates is very average compared with all modern polishes and compounds.

And if anyone thinks a E60 valet is a detail, well that is laughable. And if any bodyshop over here can polish paint without leaving holograms and buffer trails (under halogen lighting) or are arsed enough to spend the required time, I would be amazed.
01-02-2008, 14:34   #15
ciarsd

Scarey talk on this thread!

How do folks propose to re-seal the paint and give it back its protection after cutting it with T-Cut?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion