Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-01-2008, 13:27  
kceire

PSV Test Advice

hi, i recently applied for my PSV test and i know im a bit away from the actual test, but i was wondering if anybody has any advice on material to read before the big day.

i am going to do the one day course closer to the time, but just thought there might of been some stuff i could be reasding up on at the moment to try absorb some more info.

thank guys,
keith.
Advertisement
14-01-2008, 18:36  
Volvoboy

The test will break down into this;

Questions on fare's
Questions on General road regulations
Questions on roads in areas, (i.e The Grange Road - One in Donaghmede & Rathfarnam)
Questions on Ajdjacent roads ( Westmoreland street - Kildare street)
Questions on routes say from The GAA Museum to Copperface Jacks
Questions also on Train stations, What is the train station to take you Sligo - Connolly.

I assume your doing the course Mount St? They're very good and without them i would'nt of had a clue as to what to study.

-VB-
14-01-2008, 22:46  
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvoboy View Post
The test will break down into this;

Questions on fare's
Questions on General road regulations
Questions on roads in areas, (i.e The Grange Road - One in Donaghmede & Rathfarnam)
Questions on Ajdjacent roads ( Westmoreland street - Kildare street)
Questions on routes say from The GAA Museum to Copperface Jacks
Questions also on Train stations, What is the train station to take you Sligo - Connolly.

I assume your doing the course Mount St? They're very good and without them i would'nt of had a clue as to what to study.

-VB-

cheers volvoboy, my friend done one and highly recommends it, i dont know where it is but i know the phone number os 6623333. is that the mount street one?
08-02-2008, 21:39  
Irongirl

anyone happen to know how this exam is scored?
08-02-2008, 21:48  
Guy:Incognito

Bit OT but assuming you want to stay in your regular 9-5 job as well as driving a taxi, how does getting your tax clearance cert affect you normal PAYE job? Does th etax clearance cert only relate to the taxi-ing ?or will it arse up tax credits and the like?
Advertisement
08-02-2008, 22:16  
nialler

kceire

Study study study, well a few hours of it anyway. I did the course with the guys up in mount street a few years ago, eventually went for the test 2 years later and it was still applicable, though I'd completely arsed it but came through it with flying colours.

But what I did a week before is just studied the dublin map, and the papers that I got when I did the course, mapped them all out and passed.
08-02-2008, 22:40  
Screwthe unions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stekelly View Post
Bit OT but assuming you want to stay in your regular 9-5 job as well as driving a taxi, how does getting your tax clearance cert affect you normal PAYE job? Does th etax clearance cert only relate to the taxi-ing ?or will it arse up tax credits and the like?
A TCC has no effect on your PAYE status. Youll be sent a tax return form alright...but it only relates to income derived from a self assessment/self employed earnings perspective.

OP bit of advice.....Do the routes first...name as many streets as you can,they look for six,but name every street you can...youll get extra for it.

Know your major landmarks....Chester Beaty Library is where?????
Farmleigh house is where?????...Know your hospitals...did you know theres over 30 in the Greater Dublin area??

Best of luck mate!!
28-02-2008, 15:27  
mark2000ie

Is there anywhere you can find all the information to study for the psv test or do you have to do the course?
28-02-2008, 17:00  
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2000ie View Post
Is there anywhere you can find all the information to study for the psv test or do you have to do the course?
I searched and searched and the only material out there is the course notes. i did the PSV training course up in mount street and it was great!

have my test on satuarday, not 100% sure if i will pass at this moment in time, but i will do it to see how i get on!

being writing out routes from the course all week, what i think will get me is the hotel loctions and maybe some of the hospitals.
Advertisement
28-02-2008, 17:02  
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwthe unions View Post
A TCC has no effect on your PAYE status. Youll be sent a tax return form alright...but it only relates to income derived from a self assessment/self employed earnings perspective.

OP bit of advice.....Do the routes first...name as many streets as you can,they look for six,but name every street you can...youll get extra for it.

Know your major landmarks....Chester Beaty Library is where?????
Farmleigh house is where?????...Know your hospitals...did you know theres over 30 in the Greater Dublin area??

Best of luck mate!!
cheers mate, we were told that in the course too, seemly the say "name all roads", but you only have to name 6 to get the full marks for the question or if you can name 8 you will get a bonus mark.

100 questions in 1 hour and you need 70% for a pass
17-04-2008, 13:20  
Scooby_Doo

can anyone tell me how long the wait was from applying to your local garda station, to actually getting a test date? i left the application in to the guards and have heard nothing since and that was back in Jan.??
17-04-2008, 17:08  
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby_Doo View Post
can anyone tell me how long the wait was from applying to your local garda station, to actually getting a test date? i left the application in to the guards and have heard nothing since and that was back in Jan.??
i applied on the 1st Dec and got a letter mid Feb to say my test was 1st march.

ring the psv carraige office in dublin castle and give them your name and they can tell you if your on the list or still being processed.
12-09-2008, 19:16  
finno

Hi does anyone how much this course costs?
I have my test in Nov.

Thanks
14-09-2008, 13:42  
kceire

Quote:
Originally Posted by finno View Post
Hi does anyone how much this course costs?
I have my test in Nov.

Thanks
course is circa 325 euro to do over a full day.
17-11-2008, 00:38  
noeliec

hi all , what car would you advise to use as a wheelchair accessable taxi