Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

12-12-2007, 10:12   #1
tech77

AIB laser card- can it actually be used online without cvv code

There seems to be a lot of confusion about this.
I've got the AIB laser/ATM card with the maestro logo on it.
When i ring AIB about it they seem a bit clueless.

OK they say it only works for Irish sites apparently which is fair enough.
They say putting in 000 for the cvv code might or mightn't work- you just have to chance it.
So is there anyone here who can say for certain they have bought stuff online with an AIB laser/maestro card.
If so what sites.
Thanks.
Advertisement
12-12-2007, 11:33   #2
jor el
Closed Account

Is there a CVV number on the back of the AIB Laser cards? I'm with BOI and it has one, but any site I've used it on just tell you to leave it blank as Laser cards don't have CVV numbers (even though mine does). CDWow had previously told people to use 999, but leaving it blank now seems to work.
12-12-2007, 20:20   #3
Pegasus15

As far as I know, these cards won't work on websites that take English Maestro as they differ from the Irish version. I am totally open to correction here, and would love to learn that Play, Amazon, etc. accept them.

Jor, does your BoI debit card work with Play, Amazon, etc.?
13-12-2007, 00:07   #4
jor el
Closed Account

Only ever used it on CDwow.ie. Did use it to buy credit on allofmp3.com once and it worked. I think I used the CVV number on the card that time and I selected Maestro as the payment card.
13-12-2007, 19:04   #5
prodigal_son

I got a laser card today in the post from AIB, It seems to have a cvv number on the back..

Is it a cvv number and does it mean it can be used in more shops online? anyone know if they have started adding cvv numbers to them?

I dont know when i will try it out myself
Advertisement
13-12-2007, 20:03   #6
Pegasus15

I got mine a few weeks ago from them with no CV2 number.

It's the number that is printed on the back above where you sign your card.
13-12-2007, 21:49   #7
prodigal_son

Yeah, i got mine today, and it has a number just beside/above where you sign your name on the back..

Its 4 digits a space and then 3 digits, i assumed the last 3 were the cvv..

I got mine today, didnt ask for it or anything, they just sent it to me.. phoned them up and they said they were phasing out normal atm cards? dont really know to be honest.
13-12-2007, 21:56   #8
Pegasus15

Yup, that's a CV2. If you're ordering on Play or Amazon, please let us know how it works out.

And yes, they want to try and get rid of the old ATM cards and replace them with Lasers so that there will be less and less cash transactions. Welcome to the future, I guess...
14-12-2007, 02:03   #9
jor el
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigal_son View Post
Is it a cvv number and does it mean it can be used in more shops online? anyone know if they have started adding cvv numbers to them?
You have nothing to loose by trying it out. Add something to your cart, go to checkout and try paying with the Laser card. If it fails, then you know it doesn't work. If it goes through, then you have a useful, usable debit card.
Advertisement
14-12-2007, 02:19   #10
thesto

i used my laser/maestro card to buy an ipod nano today of apple.ie

when it came to the cvv part i keyed in 111 (as that is the number i use when booking cinema tickets online)

the transaction seemed to go ok, i got an order confirmation number, but two hourss after the money had still not been taken out of my account. i rang apple and they confirmed the order was ok and would be shipping tomorrow.

at this time (well over 5hrs now) the money is still in my account

think i just got a free ipod?
14-12-2007, 02:27   #11
jor el
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesto View Post

Doubtful. Laser transactions take anything from 24 to 76 hours to appear in your account. If they processed the order and have confirmed it, then you're definitely paying for it.
14-12-2007, 16:51   #12
Pegasus15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor el View Post
You have nothing to loose by trying it out. Add something to your cart, go to checkout and try paying with the Laser card. If it fails, then you know it doesn't work. If it goes through, then you have a useful, usable debit card.
Yeah, but Play.com mentions being able to cancel order without penalty before they start processing it. What happens if it doesn't go through after they start the processing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesto View Post
i used my laser/maestro card to buy an ipod nano today of apple.ie

when it came to the cvv part i keyed in 111 (as that is the number i use when booking cinema tickets online)

the transaction seemed to go ok, i got an order confirmation number, but two hourss after the money had still not been taken out of my account. i rang apple and they confirmed the order was ok and would be shipping tomorrow.

The money has probably been taken, but it's true that it won't show up as being taken for a while.
14-12-2007, 18:20   #13
jor el
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus15 View Post
Yeah, but Play.com mentions being able to cancel order without penalty before they start processing it. What happens if it doesn't go through after they start the processing?
They won't start processing the order until they've received a payment confirmation by the processing agent.
14-12-2007, 20:14   #14
Pegasus15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor el View Post
They won't start processing the order until they've received a payment confirmation by the processing agent.
Ah, deadly. I'll give it a shot on my Maestro tonight.
15-12-2007, 00:06   #15
prodigal_son

Well i went onto play, clicked a few dvds, put my laser card info in, put the cvv number in, clicked through, and it all went through ok..

I got an email saying that..

Quote:
This email is only an acknowledgement of receipt of your order which has been passed to our dispatch department to be processed.

Thank you for ordering with www.play.com

Please check the following order information:
So, Im not entirely sure if the order has been paid for, or if dispatch will try and run the details tomorrow..

So i guess i will let you all know tomorrow, but so far so good...
Thread Closed