Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-12-2007, 08:51   #1
tech77

Repairing demister on Nissan Almera

Hi.
My demister for the back window on my Almera just went.

Went into the dealers thinking it'd be a nice handy job to repair but they tell me the whole console that houses the heater dials/radio/demister etc would need to be replaced costing 230 euro.
That's outside of an 80 euro diagnostic and labour costs.

So could be 400 euro or more to get it done.

Anyone know any cheaper alternative to get this fixed?
Maybe some Almera owners could shed some light on this.
Thanks.
Advertisement
10-12-2007, 13:28   #2
Avns1s

Try a breakers?
10-12-2007, 17:10   #3
10-10-20

Why don't you try take the console into a TV/Video repair place (if you can find one) and ask if they can do a repair. Often it's only a PCB track or single component or switch which needs work, a complete console replacement is a WASTE!
10-12-2007, 17:41   #4
eringobragh

Try this chap on ebay. He's helped me out with a few small bits & pieces and he's genuine

His ebay name is nissanautoparts

http://myworld.ebay.com/nissanautoparts
10-12-2007, 18:03   #5
mickdw

Have you tried the basic stuff like fuses and relays. If you can remove the switch and have a good look around, do. It may be an ordinary on/off switch or something more advanced. If it is a simple switch you could easily bypass it to check if it works. The nissan main stealer, sorry dealer are probably just chancing their arm hoping you will say go ahead and fix. Does the switch light up? Are there any other electrical items not working?
Advertisement
11-12-2007, 00:11   #6
tech77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-10-20 View Post
Why don't you try take the console into a TV/Video repair place (if you can find one) and ask if they can do a repair. Often it's only a PCB track or single component or switch which needs work, a complete console replacement is a WASTE!
Thanks for the replies lads.
A local mechanic had a quick look and told me all that is needed is a switch and if I got the part he'd fit it for me.
You suggest that a switch would be easy to source or fix is that right?
Thanks.
11-12-2007, 00:28   #7
tech77

Quote:
Originally Posted by eringobragh View Post
Try this chap on ebay. He's helped me out with a few small bits & pieces and he's genuine His ebay name is nissanautoparts http://myworld.ebay.com/nissanautoparts
Thanks.
I checked the link and he does have switches for 95-99 Almeras listed. Mine is a '02 but he says on the site he does other years as well.
Thanks.

I'll send him a message tomorrow.
If it works i'll have saved myself close to 400 quid
11-12-2007, 00:39   #8
tech77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdw View Post
Have you tried the basic stuff like fuses and relays. If you can remove the switch and have a good look around, do. It may be an ordinary on/off switch or something more advanced. If it is a simple switch you could easily bypass it to check if it works. The nissan main stealer, sorry dealer are probably just chancing their arm hoping you will say go ahead and fix. Does the switch light up? Are there any other electrical items not working?
No the switch doesn't light up as it should (even though it does flicker very occasionally when pressed).
A local mechanic took a quick look and told me it was the switch that needed to be fixed. All I needed to do was buy the part and he'd fit it. All the other electrics seem ok. Thanks.

Last edited by tech77; 11-12-2007 at 11:56.
11-12-2007, 04:37   #9
meathstevie

Not too surprised with the back windows...if they have swivels I'd seriously doubt their full auto capabilities unless someone in nissan has fitted the wrong doors on the production line.

Trying to charge for diagnostics and repair is a bit rich though. Wondering if they charge for the use of screwdrivers and spanners as well....Because diagnostic are a tool to find the source and a potential fix for a problem. A bit like eyes, a human brain and a number 13 ratchet spanner

Last edited by meathstevie; 11-12-2007 at 04:40.
Advertisement
11-12-2007, 09:08   #10
tech77

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathstevie View Post
Not too surprised with the back windows...if they have swivels I'd seriously doubt their full auto capabilities unless someone in nissan has fitted the wrong doors on the production line. Trying to charge for diagnostics and repair is a bit rich though. Wondering if they charge for the use of screwdrivers and spanners as well....Because diagnostic are a tool to find the source and a potential fix for a problem. A bit like eyes, a human brain and a number 13 ratchet spanner
Actually you're right. Scratch everything I said about the back windows not working-
they're not meant to be electric, d'oh!
So AFAIK that means everything works OK from an electronics point of view apart from the demister.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion