Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mac Donagh Station Shopping Centre

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Eurospar's really convenient. The parking's free, with luck you get to drop the car close to the door and you can be in and out of there in a few minutes. Going to Dunnes in McDoughnut Junction is just too much hassle unless you're on for a big shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Isn't Debenhems and M&S supposed to go into CitiMart where the barracks amd Cattle Mart is?

i know M&S is, but think it was refused planning permission as the infrastructure isn't there to support it. think it's going to an bord pleanalla (sp?) in april, but until the relief road is built i can't see that development going ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

zootroid wrote: »
    but until the relief road is built i can't see that development going ahead

What relief road is that? I thought the only new road in planning in KK city was the one that just opened. Are they extending it further, or is it some other road that you're referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

The "Inner Relief Road" as it's called is in the pipeline in Kilkenny also. It's not an extension of the current "Ring Road" but takes a more central line down to the Waterbarracks along Dean St. and cuts straight out at the back of the Brewery's property over a new bridge downstream from Greensbridge and on up by the back of this proposed mart development site.

It has undergone a few revisions as it originally it was more of a mini Ring Road back around the City edge from the Waterbarracks but now they've included the spur in through the City I mention above.

Details of the old route and the new variation contained in this link;

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/cdp/cdpvol3/vol3/variation2.htm

Not sure what the current status of it is as it has had it's fair share of false starts and revisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I was there after Christmas, have to say I thought it was very disappointing. The building is lovely but the range of shops isn't great and there's nowhere to eat. We went into Quigley's (only because it was the best of a bad lot) and they had no wraps, paninis or ciabattas, only bread, so I ordered a toasted special but they had no ham. FFS, there's a Dunnes next door! I'm sure it's not always that bad but there is another food outlet needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

zootroid wrote: »
    i know M&S is, but think it was refused planning permission as the infrastructure isn't there to support it. think it's going to an bord pleanalla (sp?) in april, but until the relief road is built i can't see that development going ahead

Thanks zootroid. I should of known not to get my hopes up for a second shopping centre in Kilkenny. Callan can't even get a Tescos thanks to that prat Phil Hogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I think McDoughnut junction must be hemorrhaging money. I or anyone we know haven't been there since it opened. :(

Does anyone go on a regular basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I only live five minutes away from it and only being in there three times.
    I can assure you if it were Tesco or Marks and Spencers in there the outcome would have been different. Shame really.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Exactly, if M&S were there, I'd likely be in it 3+ times a week...
    As it is, I use Dunnes as a convenience shop basically, and only really would be interested in Virgin and Next occasionally.
    I wouldn't make an effort to go there - the place lacks a decent restaurant and a decent bookshop etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

it allway's seem's quite busy to me whenever i'm in there, which is every other day haven't been to town since christmas, it's handy out :D but its a pity a few more of the shops wouldn't open up soon.. i think the problem is the management never to been seen and total lack of seating around the place no bins few plants would help it look bit better,,, is the bowling alley opening this month anyone know..

• Advertisement

I have no idea when the Bowling Alley will open. Not even the website lists the Bowling Alley.

I myself go a couple times a week to go to Champions and/or Zavvi. Like Licksy I only use Dunnes as a convenience store. I think Dunnes only wnet in there to block some other store from going in there. For the store as big as it is its practically empty compared to the Kieran St branch.

If it wasn't for the fact I live so close to the Junction [Maudlin St] I would hardly go there at all]

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

You see a lot of 'fresh' products marked down in dunnes as they come close to their use-by date. Obviously they need a certain amount of the products for a facing and to make the store looked stocked but there's no way they are selling them! Lots of wastage I guess.
    Also, the food dept has probably close on 20 checkout lanes?
    Even on a thursday evening which I'd imagine would be busy, you wouldn't have to queue with only 3 or 4 lanes open.
    Madness, dog in the manger stuff by dunnes, I hope they are suffering to some extent.

You'd really want to watch the dates of food in there alright. I learned that the hard way when I accidentally bought ham in there which was about 5 days past its use by date :( You'd also want to be careful about the bread you buy from the bakery as well - they're not above trying to flog stale stuff. Milk as well - I saw 2l containers on the shelves that were a day off their use by date. Usually in a supermarket, you wouldn't have to be watching the dates of perishable food as much as you have to in there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Anyone know of any website / phone number for this place?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Sully wrote: »
    Anyone know of any website / phone number for this place?

Posted on the second page

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thanks for the useful post kensutz :)

Was there yesterday. I like the way its designed but is there not to much space for each store? Its got one floor of shops - and its already half full by the looks of it and that's with feck all shops. One of them apparently closed down - Claires. The whole shopping center has LOTS of space, and each store has a pretty big unit to themselves. There is a few places with "To Let" or "Coming Soon" but then its full..

Seems to have been a big flaw in the design. For such a big building, there is only one floor of shops and at that they have only limited units for shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I got that impression too. Not a lot there for the size of it and was very surprised there was only one floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Sully wrote: »
    Thanks for the useful post kensutz :)

No problem, I was looking for a website myself but went to the trouble of actually searching the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

there might only be one floor but tk maxx, next and river island are on two floors

kensutz wrote: »
    No problem, I was looking for a website myself but went to the trouble of actually searching the thread.

lol. I just searched for a URL in the thread, skimming over posts. I didn't spot the "LINKY" bit. Search Engines are avoiding it, wonder how much they paid for the site.
    trishw78 wrote: »
    there might only be one floor but tk maxx, next and river island are on two floors

Nothing major though. A few good stores, and that's about it. Never liked TK Maxx myself, was in the one in Dublin (cant recall where) and it was just awful.

I just think its pretty badly designed - huge amount of space, lots of room allocated to stores but far to much room so little units left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

a lot of the buildings and walls are protected. out by the curved wall there was a vault built to house the bones of the dead that lived and died in the workhouse. Those bones were excavated near the junction at Lawlors the whole way round to the entrance of the Carpark/Train station.

Interesting. I think the new building fits well, and has a mix of old & new. I love the design, but the major flaw is the large space and limited units.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

trishw78 wrote: »
    a lot of the buildings and walls are protected. out by the curved wall there was a vault built to house the bones of the dead that lived and died in the workhouse. Those bones were excavated near the junction at Lawlors the whole way round to the entrance of the Carpark/Train station.

cool

If you look at the floor plan in the centre, there are suppose to be kiosks for the likes of Sky in the middle of the floor but I don't see any of them yet. Maybe they're not going to come. I occasionally visit the shopping centre over in Rathdowney and in a weird way it reminds me of MacDonagh Junction. Lots of space, lots of empty units and ones saying a store is coming soon and...almost no customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Is it true that Claires has closed down already? I've noticed it hasnt been open for the past 2 weeks.

Nightwish wrote: »
    Is it true that Claires has closed down already? I've noticed it hasnt been open for the past 2 weeks.

Was closed when I was there and locals said it was closed to me.

I've heard Dunnes is doing badly because......(wait for it).....it's haunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

for **** sake. Its doing badly because there's three bloody dunnes stores in Kilkenny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

any more new shops open lately, havent been out of the house in weeks :D

• Advertisement

any more new shops open lately, havent been out of the house in weeks :D

You haven't missed much. Nothing new has opened and Claire's is closed for some unknown reason.

Advertisement