Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

26-12-2008, 14:41   #16
epkdub09

Quote:
Originally Posted by inisboffin View Post
Jaysus, this thread was dragged from the dust!

Last year we ended up at the Raddisson btw. The hotel decor and the rooms were grand and festive, but the dinner experience wasn't the best at all. It was like a factory line with the food. Little things like crackers missing from the table, no drinks arriving, running out of bread and MASH! Have to say the staff were lovely and did their best but they were being micromanaged very poorly.

This year we were minus parents and weren't stuck to traditional menu..got home way too late last night to be worrying too much about potatoes
Happy days!
Hi -- sorry, I didn't notice the date of the last post.
Glad to hear you had a good time despite the shortcomings of your dinner experience. Running out of food is definitely unacceptable!
Advertisement
03-11-2009, 14:27   #17
quantumpet

I'm dragging this one up again! It'll probably pop up every year. Does anyone know of any restaurant in Galway open to serve Christmas Lunch / dinner, other than the Radisson and preferably not buffet?
03-11-2009, 15:00   #18
alibabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumpet View Post
I'm dragging this one up again! It'll probably pop up every year. Does anyone know of any restaurant in Galway open to serve Christmas Lunch / dinner, other than the Radisson and preferably not buffet?
Why dont you wait until Dec
Look out for ads in papers, hotels will def be doing dinner on Christmas Day
03-11-2009, 15:22   #19
biko
Percolator

You have plenty time now to ring and ask the restaurants you'd like to visit.
Or simply go in and ask next time you're in the city.
03-11-2009, 16:32   #20
inisboffin

From past experience, it is a lot harder to find places than you'd think. There are a few places out of town that do it sometimes, but for the most part it is hotel packages on offer. If there are enough of you, why not try approaching a restaurant and offer to make a booking with deposit? this would probably work only with say a group of 10 or more.
A lot of 'ethnic' restaurants, close, whether the owners celebrate Christmas or not. Part of this is pure economics though. When I lived in the States I had two of the tastiest Christmas dinners with friends at our local Indian restaurant.
If you are willing to skip the traditional dinner, you may have more luck.

Last edited by inisboffin; 03-11-2009 at 16:35. Reason: info
Advertisement
03-11-2009, 19:56   #21
quantumpet

Thanks! Ya there are a few of us, just wanted to try something different this year by going somewhere for lunch. The restaurants I have called to ask whether or not they are open on Christmas day, greet me with either disgust or disbelief and quickly get off the phone before their manager or owner gets wind of people asking. The radisson were very nice when I called today, seemingly they have been taking bookings for months now!! But a very pricey buffet at 80 pp!!! No drink included, looks like it may be a Christmas Eve dinner instead
03-11-2009, 20:16   #22
pg633

For a christmas eve meal just find a Polish household - they traditionally keep a place at the table and food for any potential stranger who knocks on the door...
03-11-2009, 21:53   #23
inisboffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg633 View Post
For a christmas eve meal just find a Polish household - they traditionally keep a place at the table and food for any potential stranger who knocks on the door...
Ya but probably not a gang of hungry strangers!

I think that's in a lot of cultures. When I was in College and didn't venture home, there were always great 'orphan' Christmas offers. Usually ended up all the orphans clubbing together, generally a few strangers!
03-11-2009, 22:07   #24
JohnCleary

Who the **** would want to work, serving happy familes, on XMas Day?
Advertisement
03-11-2009, 22:53   #25
Seaneh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCleary View Post
A muslim, Hindu, Jew or sikh who doesn't celebrate a christian tradition and would rather have another days wages?
03-11-2009, 23:01   #26
JohnCleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaneh View Post
A muslim, Hindu, Jew or sikh who doesn't celebrate a christian tradition and would rather have another days wages?
Those things don't exist, stop talking jibberish!
04-11-2009, 01:55   #27
inisboffin

Quote:
I've done it in the past. Money was double, and had great craic at work! Often people who work Chrismo do really short 4 hour shifts, so they have time to go have a proper holiday as well.
04-11-2009, 20:39   #28
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
Someone who wants an excuse not to hang out with their own dysfunctional family that day.

Someone without kids whose partner is working anyway (nurse, guard, prison-officer, etc), is is happy to get the extra pay.

A tourist whose family are all overseas.

Someone who's unemployed, and happy to take any work that's offering.

I've never done it (my mc-jobs days were in places that closed on Christmas Day), but people who have tell me that it's usually great craic: the customers feel sorry for you having to work, and everyone's usually very generous.
04-11-2009, 21:35   #29
Madame Razz
Closed Account

I know that they used to do dinner in the Great Southern but I'm not sure if the Meyrick has kept up the tradition.
05-11-2009, 00:40   #30
dec25532

I know that the Galway Bay Hotel are doing Christmas dinners but not sure if it is only part of a package for two or three days stay over. Ardilaun doing similar I think. The Radisson are the only ones who are really advertising their Christmas Day dinners. It would cost a small fortune to book an individual restaurant to stay open on Christmas Day for a group of 10 or so.
Thread Closed