Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

23-11-2007, 00:03   #1
inisboffin

Christmas dinner on Christmas day - anywhere open?

My folks might come down to visit for a couple of days at Christmas, the whole cooking thing is complicated for a few reasons, and we are renting, so may not be able have full run of the kitchen here!

Anywhere ye'd recommend that does Chrismo dinner? Hotel or even restaurant that might be open? Galway Bay hotel do a 3 or 4 day package, but it is pricey and we only need a day or 2, and accommodation is probably sorted. They don't serve the dinner to non residents.

I'd be open for anything, like Indian, Chinese food etc, but I think the folks want the traditional grub.

Thanks!
Advertisement
23-11-2007, 12:32   #2
MattKid

If The Clayton are open and doing it I'd recommend them, bloody good food at decent prices
23-11-2007, 12:36   #3
The Freeman

i used to work in the raddison hotel restaurant and they do a marvellous buffet but it aint cheap for both christmas day and the days before and after, where i work out by balybrit ind estate is a restaurant that does good food called ya ya's the manager told me that there is gonna be a buffet for christmas day, not a plush place but the food will be good i tell ya
i'm sure other places aroubd toen have options for ya aswel hust shop around, hurry on though cos there's alot of others with the same idea as yourself dude

hope it helps
23-11-2007, 13:32   #4
sgthighway

I'd second the Raddison hotel. Whereever you book make sure you ring back and confirm a couple of weeks before Christmas. I know someone who organised the raddison hotel for 3 families and it fell through - raddison hotel had a problem and had mis-placed the customers number. They found out 3 days before
23-11-2007, 17:26   #5
herbieflowers

You don't want a buffet on Xmas though, you go to a restaurant to be served by someone!
Advertisement
23-11-2007, 17:37   #6
The Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbieflowers View Post
You don't want a buffet on Xmas though, you go to a restaurant to be served by someone!
not making sence there herbie....
Thanks from:
23-11-2007, 19:11   #7
inisboffin

Thanks! I will email the Raddison and ask for their menu for the buffet, seems to be about 75 smackers, which is kind of the norm. I'll have a check out of YaYa's too, thanks! Clayton seems like lovely food, but if we go with a hotel, the folks would probably prefer closer to town.
Will keep checking though, and appreciate any more tips.
To further complicate things - one of the group is semi-vegetarian (they do fish).
Thanks!
23-11-2007, 19:38   #8
padi89
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Freeman View Post
not making sence there herbie....
Buffet is usually stand in a line and lob your own nosh on your plate, i think he means he'd rather have some dishy bird(oh the sexism) serve it to him
24-11-2007, 03:03   #9
Tetra

The Harbour Hotel has a nice Christmas menu
Advertisement
24-11-2007, 22:39   #10
inisboffin

Yeah, loads of lovely menus that friends have recommended, but most 'Christmas Menus' don't extend into Christmas Day.
The House, for example is completely closed for food
I will give the Harbour a buzz to check though, thanks!
25-11-2007, 14:01   #11
Jeapy

I know its about 30 miles away, but on Christmas Day in Ballindine (just over the Mayo boarder) theres a Dinner on in Ellie McGuires in aid of West of Ireland Alzeihmers. Its 100euro a head for 5 courses with wine. Ive never had a bad meal there and would def recommend. Its for charity too so itd make the 100euro a little better!
25-11-2007, 14:43   #12
forbairt

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi89 View Post
i think he means he'd rather have some dishy bird(oh the sexism) serve it to him
Don't be silly ... how on earth would they get Turkeys serving dinner
26-11-2007, 13:16   #13
inisboffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeapy View Post
I know its about 30 miles away, but on Christmas Day in Ballindine (just over the Mayo boarder) theres a Dinner on in Ellie McGuires in aid of West of Ireland Alzeihmers. Its 100euro a head for 5 courses with wine. Ive never had a bad meal there and would def recommend. Its for charity too so itd make the 100euro a little better!
Sounds lovely, and I would very much consider it except for the daft fact that not ONE of the four of us can/is able to drive!
Walking distance is the thing!
25-12-2008, 13:37   #14
epkdub09

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbairt View Post
Don't be silly ... how on earth would they get Turkeys serving dinner
25-12-2008, 18:39   #15
inisboffin

Jaysus, this thread was dragged from the dust!

Last year we ended up at the Raddisson btw. The hotel decor and the rooms were grand and festive, but the dinner experience wasn't the best at all. It was like a factory line with the food. Little things like crackers missing from the table, no drinks arriving, running out of bread and MASH! Have to say the staff were lovely and did their best but they were being micromanaged very poorly.

This year we were minus parents and weren't stuck to traditional menu..got home way too late last night to be worrying too much about potatoes
Happy days!
Thread Closed