Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vodafone barring Opera Mini?

• 07-11-2007 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi all. Are Vodafone blocking Opera Mini on Pay As You Go now, does anyone know?

I've been unable to use Operan Mini on a Nokia 5140i for the last month or two on Vodafone PAYG. It was working fine all year before that and I didn't change anything in the phone's settings. The inability to use Opera Mini may have coincided with the time Voda introduced their 99cent for 20MB (or is it 50?) a day for surfing deal. It was around that time anyway. I rang them for help and they told me that my 5140i can't be used for their Vodafone Live system but reset some settings and thought that would fix the problem. It didn't. again yesterday I rang them and they resent me some settings, this time for Vodafdone Live. It still didn't help. Later they got onto their tech department who reset something or other and I was told it should work now. It still didn't.

I rang Customer Services again today and after talking to their tech department I was told Vodafone don't support Opera Mini. Sounds like they're fobbing me off because they can't be bothered figuring it out, to be honest, because they were trying to help me resolve the problem up to today.

Can anyone help me to figure out what has gone wrong or what I need to change to use OM again? I get a "failed to connect to internet" message every time I try. I tried upgrading to the latest version of Operas Mini but it didn't help.

the settings on my phone are as follows:

Under the "Web" --> Settings-->Configuration Settings menu, which is not where I use OM from, it now has Configuration as "Vodafone Live" and Account as "Vodafone Live".

Under the "Settings"-->"Connectivity"-->"Packet Data" menu (which seems to be what OM uses) it has Packet data connection set as "When needed" and "Packet data settings" has the packet data access point set as "wap.vodafone.ie". I've edited this to both live.vodafone.com and live.vodafone.ie but neither work for OM.

Does anyone know why it's not working? It's something to do with the packet data settings as far as I can figure out. Maybe wap.vodafone.ie is no longer in use but what's the new address, if so? I can actually access the internet under the web menu but I refuse to pay their 15c a page charge and the crappy browser the phone comes with.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

it's still working no problem for me, maybe try reinstalling it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Its isp.vodafone.ie from memory, but I guess once you access it using that AP, you will not be under the new web tariffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Opera mini works just fine on Vodafone Live (AP: live.vodafone.ie) for me! At the 99c/day rate. But you do have to change the connection type in Opera mini from 'Port' to 'HTTP' (if I recall correctly). It works fine then, as well as the Gmail app, Google Earth and a few others.

If you can't get it to work by changing the settings in Opera mini, let me know and I'll check it out (I don't have my phone here right now).

Edit: I looked it up, if you go into Opera mini's settings: 'Protocol' has to be set to 'HTTP' and not to 'Socket', then it works for me! Also, make sure that you have the proxy set correctly in your phone's access point setting (10.24.59.100)

Edit2: I am on pay as you go too, so it should really work somehow! I just tried it again with the new opera mini 4.0 release and it works just fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

amull87, I tried that again and still no joy. Are you on Vodafone PAYG and what phone are you using?

whisht, yeah I also tried that before but I tried it again after you mentioned it and still no good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'm switching to Vodafone and my phone comes with Opera so I hope not. I've downloaded the latest version for my phone too.

I doubt they'd block Opera since it comes on some handsets.

GekkePrutser, (thanks so far) I'm trying to do what you're suggesting but it's not working and there are some options I'm not sure of which might be the reason.
    ( http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/guides/Nokia_5140i_UG_en.pdf is the manual for my phone by the way)

I've changed the Packet data access point under the settings-->connectivity-->packet data-->packet data settings menu to live.vodafone.ie. In the settings-->configuration menu I have the "Default configuration settings" as "vodafone live!" The other two options are "Vodafone" (Probably the one in use that didn't work before they sent me the live settings which aren't working!) and "Personnal config." The "Preferred access point" here is empty with no way to edit. So I went into "Personal Configuration Settings and set one up with a random account name and homepage as http://live.vodafone.ie username=vodafone, password=vodafone. Use preferred access point is et to no. Then I changed the access point settings here (settings-configuration-personal configuration settings-my account-access point settings) to "Proxy"=enabled, "Proxy address"=10.24.59.100, "Proxy port" I left empty. "Data bearer"=packet data (the other option is gsm data). "Bearer settings" has further menus and has "packet data access point" set to internet (just a word) username=vodafone, password=vodafone and authentication type=normal.

Still no joy but maybe I have some of those settings wrong! Also, I've just noticed that the gmail app isn't working for me anymore though it also was until a month or two ago.

Any other thoughts on what to try next?

brim4brim, this is Opera Mini, not Opera. See operamini.com

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Hi

I'm on vodafone contract and had the same problem using the APN live.vodofone.com I fix it by changing the port to 8080

I also had a problem connecting to the Internet when my phone is connected to my PC only works if using apn isp.vodafone.ie (but is very expensive) but not working when using live.vodafone.com (99 cent per day) so they must be blocking something on their side so you only use their integrated browser with live settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 glimmerman54

Thanks nava
    I had the same Problem and port 8080 worked for me
    My Phone is a k800i unlocked and debranded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ISOT

Thanks nava
    I had the same Problem and port 8080 worked for me
    My Phone is a k800i unlocked and debranded

i cant get opera mini to run on vodafone billpay using vodafone live as the gateway on a nokia 6300 - where is the setting to change to port 8080 ?
    thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Same here, Opera mini on my Noka 6300 fails to start "network failure".

All other browsing/applications work fine (except mms but that's coz I don't use it and haven't set it up).

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I've changed the Packet data access point under the settings-->connectivity-->packet data-->packet data settings menu to live.vodafone.ie.

i didn't read the whole thread but your problem might be that the APN is live.vodafone.com, not live.vodafone.ie. here's the full settings

connection name:Vf Live!
    data bearer: packet data
    APN:live.vodafone.com

username:dublin
    prompt password:no
    password:dublin
    authentication:normal
    homepage:http://live.vodafone.com
    network type:IPv4
    phone IP address:automatic
    name servers (DNS): automatic
    proxy address:010.024.059.100
    proxy port:80

• Registered Users Posts: 43 CoolSmileyGuy

OP,

Can you check to see if any of your other GPRS related services work ok on your handset..?

Sometimes a MSISDN (mobile subscriber) can become whats known as "purged" on the serving GPRS support node and this will effect all GPRS bearer related services...

Have you gone to the vodafone website and gone to their settings for my phone page? and is your phone unbranded or what operating system is it using because 3 for example doesnt let you make changes to ports etc on their phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Im using a SE K800i on vodafone PAYG.
    I've never changed the internet settings on my phone. I get a good connection with opera mini most of the time but at peak times of the day I just get a "Cannot connect to network" error. For example I can connect to reddit.com most of the time on opera mini, but usually at peak times I can't connect to anything. Or sometimes the connection just comes and goes. However if i use the phones built-in browser to connect to reddit.com or where ever, it works fine, all of the time.
    Seems strange how the opera mini connection fails during peak times....

hi What version of Opera Mini are you using ?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Opera Mini Version 4.0

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

Did you ever get opera mini working on your phone?

It stopped working on my last phone. I thought it would work again when I replaced it. No joy?

I can't even get into the setting to change from port to HTTP. When I launch it I get the error saying that it can't connect to the internet. The only option I get then is to exit. I can't access the settings.

I was able to access the vodafone live internet service to download it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Hody

I know this thread is very old, but I am still failing to get opera mini 4.2 to run on a Nokia 6300. I can get into the normal vodafone internet but are unable to run opera mini. I get a message "installing" and then get asked to connect on a PC based webbrowser to http://www.opera.com/mini/help/?version=4.2 which does not bring me any further?!

Any help!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

What access point are you using?

Hody wrote: »
    I know this thread is very old, but I am still failing to get opera mini 4.2 to run on a Nokia 6300. I can get into the normal vodafone internet but are unable to run opera mini. I get a message "installing" and then get asked to connect on a PC based webbrowser to http://www.opera.com/mini/help/?version=4.2 which does not bring me any further?!

Any help!?

The 6300 and all series 40 nokias have a problem in that java apps can't use an access point that requires a proxy. You'll have to use the ISP access point which costs 19c per MB on pre pay and isn't included in the 99c per day deal on live. The instructions for entering the settings are here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59526334&postcount=12

Opera mini compresses pages before sending them so as long as you don't go mad on it it shouldn't cost that much.

On bill pay the ISP access point pricing is different. It's 2c per KB with a minimum 10c connection charge so if you're on bill pay the only real solution is to get the ISP add on, €9.99 for 1GB

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Search the net there is a way you can bluetooth the settings to s40 phones to fix this problem ill post up how to do it later and the files that are needed

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    The 6300 and all series 40 nokias have a problem in that java apps can't use an access point that requires a proxy. You'll have to use the ISP access point which costs 19c per MB on pre pay and isn't included in the 99c per day deal on live. The instructions for entering the settings are here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59526334&postcount=12

Opera mini compresses pages before sending them so as long as you don't go mad on it it shouldn't cost that much.

On bill pay the ISP access point pricing is different. It's 2c per KB with a minimum 10c connection charge so if you're on bill pay the only real solution is to get the ISP add on, €9.99 for 1GB

Thanks made http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59526334&postcount=12 sorted my problem - now opera mini is working.

I am not sure how I need to pay per MB, as I have a company mobile and just pay my private usage back to my employer. Got to check with our vodafone account manager how much this is then.

The question is, if this would be a different amount than the original vodafone live! settings?!

I have to add a little edit, how to I quick change back to the vodafone live settings, if I want to use these - is there a quick switch possible?

Thanks made http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59526334&postcount=12 sorted my problem - now opera mini is working.

I am not sure how I need to pay per MB, as I have a company mobile and just pay my private usage back to my employer. Got to check with our vodafone account manager how much this is then.

The question is, if this would be a different amount than the original vodafone live! settings?!

I have to add a little edit, how to I quick change back to the vodafone live settings, if I want to use these - is there a quick switch possible?

If it's a company mobile then it's on bill pay so you're paying 2c per kb. Completely unusable for anything but a few google searches a week. Get them to put the ISP add on on the account or you'll bankrupt the company.

You can't actually quick change back to the vodafone live settings, opera mini won't work with them on that phone. But you can set it so the built in browser uses live and OM uses isp by changing the last part of the settings from that link:

settings->configuration->personal configuration settings->add->web
    account name: vodafone live
    homepage:http://live.vodafone.com
    use preferred access point:no

then I can't remember exactly the sequence of fields but you need to enter:

proxy address:010.024.059.100
    proxy port:80

then:
    settings->configuration->default configuration settings
    highlight vodafone isp and press options->set as default
    settings->configuration->activate default in all applications->yes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Delete it and download it again

Carefull dude i was on a vodafone bill didn't go hectic just 1 day kinda bored stuck in the middle of no where 1-2 youtube videos, 1-2 podcasts, emails etc, 40-45 mins about 25mb data tops and I got screwed by vodafone even though i had the add-on 1GB at €9.99 appearently it doesn't take affect till next bill date, Still have the nightmares:eek:! Thankfully since i switched back to 3 no problems :D

Nowso wrote: »
    Delete it and download it again

???

I meant the new special setting for opera mini to work, not opera mini itself

Advertisement