Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sub-City presents David Lloyd Irish tour

• 07-11-2007 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Over the next year or so we plan on doing a set of talks featuring respected comic creators from all genres of the medium. Our first guest is David Lloyd, co-creator of V For Vendetta as well as his work on a slew of other books over the last two decades. David will be over this month to publicise his latest book, Kickback.

David will be visiting Dublin, Galway and Cork so this should give most people a chance to meet with him. Admission to all events is free but in the case of Dublin and Galway it is a ticket affair so if you would like to come you can let me know by e mail at robsubcity@gmail.com, phone 01 6771902, or just drop into the Dublin or Galway shop.

The dates are as follows

Dublin

Tue 27th November, Central hotel first floor, doors open @ 7.30

This will include a talk followed by a signing.

Galway

Thurs 29th November, Roisin Dubh, doors open @ 8.00

As above, talk followed by signing.

Cork

Sat 1st December, Other Realms

In store signing.

Hope to see you there

Rob

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Sounds great! I probably won't be able to make any of the signings, but I imagine there will be plenty of other folks turning up. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Robert Curley

Hi

The David Lloyd talk booked out quicker than we thought so we have moved it to a bigger room in the same venue. This means we have plenty more room so if anyone wants to come along please feel free.

Central Hotel, Exchequer Street

Tuesday 27th November

Doors 7.30

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

The talk last night was very interesting, esp the start, talking about promoting a book and how easy it is for a book to get lost in the sea of new releases and what bad marketing will do [reminded me of the whole Iron Giant marketing mess a few years back]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JasonGawker

Hey,

I think this eventi s a wonderful idea, and I'm happy that David decided to cherish his fans here in Dublin and include us in the tour. I recently read this reissue of V for Vendetta, and found it extremely amazing (again). Sort of the things that never fail you, unlike that rubbish movie (who's with me here?) that was based on it.

Jason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 thebaddy

To be honest, I didn't think the movie was that rubbish. In fact I thoroughly enjoyed it. As a film it wasn't without its flaws, sure, but I really think most people expect too much in film translations of comic books. They're both very different mediums and it's quite possible to get away with ridiculous conceits/characterisations/dialogue in a comic book that will come across very badly in a live action movie. V for Vendetta, for me was one of these cases.

I've never seen the point in complaining that the film version of a comic or a book doesn't measure up to the original because, lets face it, such movies are usually just a way for the film studios to tap into the ready made fanbase and make an easy buck. They're rarely about making an original artistic statement, or even commenting on or expanding the original themes. Sorry if this has turned into a rant.

• Advertisement

David Lloyd had some nice things to say about the movie during the talk [which was nearly 5 months ago way to drag up an old thread] - he didn't hate it. his main gripe was nothing to do with the film but rather dark horses failure to capitalise on all the free publicity his new book would have got via the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 thebaddy

ztoical wrote: »
    [which was nearly 5 months ago way to drag up an old thread]

Ah yeah. I'm a newbie, sure 'tis only a conversation. I reckon I was making a more universal point.

thebaddy wrote: »
    Ah yeah. I'm a newbie, sure 'tis only a conversation. I reckon I was making a more universal point.

your better off starting a new thread to discuss the point rather then just adding it to the end of an old thread -alot of people won't read all of this thread as its for an event thats already happened.

And welcome to boards :D

Advertisement