Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-11-2007, 10:57   #1
paulm17781
Closed Account

Dublin Bus workers threaten strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingnews.ie
Dublin Bus workers based at the company's Harristown depot are reportedly threatening to begin strike action this weekend as part of a row over new routes.

Two new routes are due to be introduced from the depot on Monday - the 4A from Ballymun to Stradbrook and the 128 from Baldoyle to Rathmines.

Reports this morning say drivers are threatening to strike because of a dispute regarding where they will start and finish their shifts.

The drivers reportedly want to start and finish at the Harristown garage near Dublin Airport, while Dublin Bus wants them to do so in the city centre.
sigh...
Advertisement
08-11-2007, 12:03   #2
Dub13

Send a message via Yahoo to Dub13
Dublin Bus new/extended routes (128/4A)

This seems like a mess,whats the latest on it...?

From The Independent

Quote:
By Breda Heffernan
Wednesday November 07 2007

A ROW over new routes is threatening to severely disrupt transport across Dublin city this coming weekend.

Drivers at Harristown depot, near the airport, said they were likely to be on strike from Sunday as a result of what they said was Dublin Bus management's attempt to force in new scheduling arrangements.

Two new routes are due to be introduced on Monday -- the 4A, which will run from Ballymun to Stradbrook, and the 128, which will run from Baldoyle to Rathmines through the city centre.

Unions representing drivers want the start, break and finish to occur at the garage, while Dublin Bus wants some of the routes to start, break and finish in the city centre. Last month the Labour Court heard that the unions' refusal to accept this has meant that some new buses are being left unused and there is a surplus of 60 staff.

The court ruled in the company's favour and pointed out that workers have already signed up to an agreement that allows services to start, break and finish at individual garages or in the city centre.

However, a representative from the National Bus and Rail Union (NBRU) said yesterday that the dispute was not about breaks but the company's "incompetence" in managing the new depot.

"Drivers will break wherever they are asked, all they expect is to start and finish their day's work in the same place and not 11km away. The new schedules will add hours to drivers' working week and will be a complete shambles for passengers. Buses will be waiting in the city for relief drivers who are trying to get there from a depot 11km away. It's a recipe for disaster and our members are saying no to it."

The Harristown Drivers Association accused Dublin Bus of "acting like bully boys" and forcing a strike in the lead-up to Christmas.

A spokesperson for Dublin Bus said the two new routes were urgently needed and that the schedules, extra drivers and new buses were all in place and ready to go from Monday.

The €42m Harristown Garage near Dublin Airport opened in October 2004 and boasts a gym and restaurant.

In its submission to the Labour Court, the unions said workers were led to believe that all starts, breaks and finishes would be at the garage -- a contention rejected by the company. The court found that there was no written agreement stating this.

Last edited by Dub13; 08-11-2007 at 12:12.
08-11-2007, 12:10   #3
markpb

From a passenger point of view, I'd side with the drivers on this one - sitting about the city centre waiting for the next driver to turn up is a major pain in the ass.
08-11-2007, 12:14   #4
Dub13

Send a message via Yahoo to Dub13
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
From a passenger point of view, I'd side with the drivers on this one - sitting about the city centre waiting for the next driver to turn up is a major pain in the ass.
I agree and at the moment the drivers are coming from garages that are only a walk way,imagine trying to time it from 11km away.Thats asking for trouble.
08-11-2007, 12:44   #5
paulm17781
Closed Account

Is the 4a a new route or are some 4s being changed to 4a?
Advertisement
08-11-2007, 12:55   #6
dub_commuter
Closed Account

I agree with the strike, I abloutely hate the unions, I can't stand them for what they do to this country, but in this case they are right. (Did I really just say that?)

The reason a lot of Harristown routes are on the whole almost perfect punctuality wise are because of the shift swapping in the depots which enables them to control and fix things pretty easy, and if a bus gets delayed en route it allows them to send another out to recover it.

By changing in the City Centre, it not only keeps passengers waiting, it also increases the chances of short term delays and cancellations, and also makes short terminations and turning buses early more likely, and it also increases the chances of buses being delayed en route to the start of the route. Interesting to hear this morning that Clontarf drivers are thinking about striking in support.
08-11-2007, 13:04   #7
John R

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm17781 View Post
Is the 4a a new route or are some 4s being changed to 4a?
It's new. There is a currently a 20min frequency on the 4, the 4a is also due to have a 20min frequency.

As the 4a has Harristown as it's northern terminus it only makes sense to have all the changeovers there. However Getting from Harristown to Clongriffin for each break would add alot of extra time, particularly around the peak periods when the N32 is a (bus lane free) car park.
08-11-2007, 13:11   #8
paulm17781
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R View Post
It's new. There is a currently a 20min frequency on the 4, the 4a is also due to have a 20min frequency.

As the 4a has Harristown as it's northern terminus it only makes sense to have all the changeovers there. However Getting from Harristown to Clongriffin for each break would add alot of extra time, particularly around the peak periods when the N32 is a (bus lane free) car park.
Excellent, the frequency will only get better!

I have issues with the CIE unions but I also agree with them on this. There is nothing worse than the 46A stopping for ages at Donnybrook for a change over. A change over in the city is just as bad. It should always be done at the start / end points of a route.
08-11-2007, 13:39   #9
MiniD

Whatever the problem, a strike is never the answer. Even the threat of a strike is enough to discourage people to use the bus. If I remember right, this is not the first time Harristown depot has threatened strike, or gone on unofficial stoppage. On one occasion, it was because Dublin Bus refused to provide them with an Eazypass for the toll bridge.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0428/dublinbus.html

It seems they are at it once again...

On this issue, it is probably worth pointing out that most bus routes already change driver in the city centre. This is due to the fact that not every route passes/terminates at a garage. The new proposed 128 is one of these routes. Under the current plans, it would seem Dublin Bus wants to have these buses in service all day, rather than have hem operating "Out Of Service" to run back to the garage for the driver to change. Surely that's a good thing.

There are currently 4 frequent routes serving Harristown Depot from the City Centre. The 13,13A, 27B and 83. If a driver needed to get back to the depot to collect their car, then it is very easy. The only difference is that they wouldn't be driving the bus.

I would think this plan might actually benefit some drivers, who can now head home directly from town, rather than go to the depot. Drivers from other depots have being doing this for years and have no problem with the arrangement. Last month, the Labour Court also found no problem with this arrangement. So why do we have a bunch of drivers threatening the city with a bus strike from Sunday?

Again, we see the same old argument where the unions and drivers think that operating a bus service is about suiting themselves. I would much rather see a proper service on the 128, than have a batch of buses running "Out Of Service" at various times during the day.
Advertisement
08-11-2007, 13:55   #10
Victor

It would appear the 4 will operate to Blackrock Village and the 4a to Stradbrook Road.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/news_centre/...ew&news_id=715
Quote:
Routes 4/4a & 128- Bus services on the Malahide, Ballymun and Blackrock Quality Bus Corridors

New and additional bus services on the Malahide, Ballymun and Blackrock Quality Bus Corridors

Dublin Bus is planning the following major service improvements;

New Route 4a
A new Route 4a will be introduced operating from Harristown via Ballymun, Phibsboro, O’Connell Street and Merrion Road to Stradbrook, Blackrock. This route will operate a 20 minute frequency all day.

Route 4 extended
This existing 20 minute service will be extended to Harristown. Between Harristown and Blackrock village, Route 4 and 4a will combine giving a bus every ten minutes on weekdays and every 10-20 minutes on Saturday and Sunday.

New Route 128
A new high frequency service between Clongriffin and Rathmines using the Malahide Road QBC. Route 128 will operate from the new development in Clongriffin via Clare Hall, Malahide Road, Fairview, City Centre, St. Stephen’s Green and Rathmines Road to Palmerston Park. Buses will operate every ten minutes on weekdays and every 10-20 minutes on Saturday and Sunday.
08-11-2007, 20:34   #11
January

Send a message via AIM to January Send a message via MSN to January Send a message via Yahoo to January
If they do strike there goes my hopes of getting to work...
08-11-2007, 22:14   #12
dub_commuter
Closed Account

I would firstly like to say that Harristown Drivers in my opinion are a cut above the other depots, they will help people off the bus with luggage, they will give detailed connections, they will stop for people running for a bus, help old people and they actually communicate with their customers rather than call us names or scream and shout at us, so I think if you feel they couldn't give a toss about us you misguided, every time I have spoke to a member of staff there they always have been interested and happy to help and actually acted upon any comments or questions.

I used Phibsborough and Donnybrook services for a year and found them completely the opposite of Harristown, they were often very rude, they would not stop the bus for you running for it, they would frequently miss out stops on purpose so you were left a way away from where you want to get off (Running late is not an excuse) ask passengers for directions, leave very early when it's the last boss or simply not turn up, and frequently I heard passengers being referred to as skulls and any questions or advice asked met with grunts or an aggressive nature.

Quote:
On this issue, it is probably worth pointing out that most bus routes already change driver in the city centre.
Correct. However passengers are annoyed greatly sometimes during peak hours whilst the wait on the bus for the change to happen. This is not acceptable.

Quote:
Under the current plans, it would seem Dublin Bus wants to have these buses in service all day, rather than have hem operating "Out Of Service" to run back to the garage for the driver to change. Surely that's a good thing.
But thats not quite correct is it? If they have to terminate their shifts in the City Centre, when the buses do go back to Harristown they will be required to go back out of service from the City Centre, which may be further away from the City than the terminus may be.

Quote:
There are currently 4 frequent routes serving Harristown Depot from the City Centre. The 13,13A, 27B and 83. If a driver needed to get back to the depot to collect their car, then it is very easy. The only difference is that they wouldn't be driving the bus.
Imagine the situation. You work in the office. Every evening, when you have finished your work, you have to go to head office which is 45 minutes away to drop something in, then you head home? Not fair is it?

Quote:
I would think this plan might actually benefit some drivers, who can now head home directly from town, rather than go to the depot.
But the majority of Harristown drivers drive, so more would be inconvenienced than benefit from the changes.

Quote:
Drivers from other depots have being doing this for years and have no problem with the arrangement.
Yes, and I find Harristown Garage the most punctual garage within Dublin Bus, the garages which have the most changes in the City Centre, I find are the most unreliable.

Quote:
Again, we see the same old argument where the unions and drivers think that operating a bus service is about suiting themselves. I would much rather see a proper service on the 128, than have a batch of buses running "Out Of Service" at various times during the day.
Funny that, I and many others who use a route which was previously based at another Garage which switched to Harristown when it opened, after the switch over bedded in I found the route to be much improved, both from the punctuality of the service to the attitude of the drivers, the drivers actually give a toss, which is more than what said before when hearing someone being called a skull was quite common.

I'm quite happy to stick with my Harristown route thank you very much, and I shall thank my driver every day when I get on and off my bus for the great service he provides day in day out despite the lack of support he receives from head office it is just a shame that the rest of Dublin Bus cannot take a leaf out of Harristown's book and actually treat their customers with respect.

Last edited by dub_commuter; 08-11-2007 at 22:28.
08-11-2007, 22:16   #13
mikemac
Closed Account

Well I normally love these threads so I can laugh at the crazy reasons the unions threaten strike.
Sure they'd almost go on strike if the wrong teabags were in the canteen

However, this seems fairly reasonable.
What if a driver lets say drives to Harristown and starts his shift.
He then finishes it and has to pay for transport to get back to the depot to collect his car and go home.
So it costs them time and money after they finished their shift.

It's not something worth going on strike over but it seems a valid issue.....for once!

Edit: Mods, maybe this should be merged with the other thread

Last edited by mikemac; 08-11-2007 at 22:20.
08-11-2007, 22:18   #14
dub_commuter
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R View Post
Drivers are happy to break anywhere. There has never been any debate about where they are to break with any drivers in Harristown. However some of the press have seemed to have got the idea there is a problem with breaks, that is despite both the Harristown Drivers Association and the Unions stating on many occasions that breaks are not an issue,
08-11-2007, 22:21   #15
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmclo View Post
He then finishes it and has to pay for transport to get back to the depot to collect his car and go home.
So it costs them time and money after they finished their shift
I'd say it's more of a time issue as they are entitled to free transport on their own services.

A driver starting a shift will presumably have to go to Harristown and park their car and then get a bus into town to collect their own bus.

EDIT: Oops - I didn't see the other thread!

Last edited by Wishbone Ash; 08-11-2007 at 22:23.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion