Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-10-2007, 16:20   #1
irishmarine

Marine aquarium supplies in Ireland

Just a post for other people who are into marine aquariums, reefs, and fishkeeping. Great hobby. Just a pity that theres only really two places in the country so far that actually know what they are talking about. I find the prices here in Ireland, especially Dublin to be extortionate. The north is much cheaper, .....a hell of alot cheaper! I just got back from Whackers new store in Dublin, I spoke with the guy and asked him was the marine section big before I bother going out there, of course I was told it was pretty big, there were only approx 5-7 tanks, with little stock, small species, and I seen marine ich (parasite) on one of the fish which if it got into ur tank would cost you even more than what u paid for it to treat! The place had to be the most expensive marine supply place I have ever been to in my life, priced two things which were 40 euro each, when I priced the two up the north they were ST6.55 and ST8.20, a hell of alot cheaper! The other main store in Dublin although it does have great service and people that know what they are talking about is still Waaaay too expensive. After coming back from the UK and USA why is it so bloody expensive in this country! the same salt i bought in the USA was $12 here it was just over 40 euro. Food $8, here was 18 euro! I just dont see how its that different! It doesnt cost that much to ship stuff.....

take home message...shop up north and if that aint a possibility, shop online....its still a hell of alot cheaper even with shipping! Theres no excuse for the prices we pay in this hobby!

Any thoughts on this post good or bad would be appreciated! Im just putting this post on here for peoples advice! I feel the cost of things here in Ireland for this hobby would sadly push alot of people away from such a great hobby!

Last edited by irishmarine; 13-10-2007 at 16:23.
Advertisement
13-10-2007, 20:00   #2
npc_100

Have to agree, only in the hobby a short while (freshwater not marine), and am amazed at price difference. I expect there to be a decent difference between prices in Ireland and elsewhere (something everyone is living with), but didn't expect such differences between the shops in Dublin, my local is PetStop in blanch, which I tought was expensive when I first went in, then visited the new whackers 'superstore' and realise that petstop was a bargin for equipment in comparision, whackers prices were unbelievable, some of the tank packages were ~50% bigger then elsewhere.

Buying everything online now........
15-10-2007, 17:30   #3
cichlid child

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmarine View Post
Just a post for other people who are into marine aquariums, reefs, and fishkeeping. Great hobby. Just a pity that theres only really two places in the country so far that actually know what they are talking about. I find the prices here in Ireland, especially Dublin to be extortionate. The north is much cheaper, .....a hell of alot cheaper! I just got back from Whackers new store in Dublin, I spoke with the guy and asked him was the marine section big before I bother going out there, of course I was told it was pretty big, there were only approx 5-7 tanks, with little stock, small species, and I seen marine ich (parasite) on one of the fish which if it got into ur tank would cost you even more than what u paid for it to treat! The place had to be the most expensive marine supply place I have ever been to in my life, priced two things which were 40 euro each, when I priced the two up the north they were ST6.55 and ST8.20, a hell of alot cheaper! The other main store in Dublin although it does have great service and people that know what they are talking about is still Waaaay too expensive. After coming back from the UK and USA why is it so bloody expensive in this country! the same salt i bought in the USA was $12 here it was just over 40 euro. Food $8, here was 18 euro! I just dont see how its that different! It doesnt cost that much to ship stuff.....

take home message...shop up north and if that aint a possibility, shop online....its still a hell of alot cheaper even with shipping! Theres no excuse for the prices we pay in this hobby!

Any thoughts on this post good or bad would be appreciated! Im just putting this post on here for peoples advice! I feel the cost of things here in Ireland for this hobby would sadly push alot of people away from such a great hobby!
hi just wondering were in the north are you shopping is it worth a drive up if your getting alot of equipment
16-10-2007, 17:27   #4
ErinGoBrath

Send a message via Skype™ to ErinGoBrath
Also wondering what sites you use online?

Cheers
17-10-2007, 00:08   #5
sideFX

agree

have to agree wit you there mate on a lot of what you said. I find Whackers very expensive and they are taking people for fools, more so on food, equipment and accerories. For eg the Jewel carbon filter and 4 poly pads are a fiver but everywhere else they are 3.50 or less. Coral rocks are a tenner upwards no matter what the weight or size. In Dun laoghaire they are 3euro a kilo (or something like that) I soon learned to shop elsewhere for that kinda stuff. for fish though found prices much the same for Cichlids. Over the course of a few months i got to know the lads in Whackers and got good deals on the fish only. It´s harder to get a deal outta the lads at the counter. this is in Whackers on Parnell St.

For other stuff i go to the pet shop on camden st., or in dun Laoghaire. The dun laoghaire shop has a good selection of fish too and there´s pet shop near Kinsealy with a good selection too.

I haggle a lot no matter where i go and i always get a few quid off what i am buying. Dont be afraid to haggle!
Advertisement
17-10-2007, 09:24   #6
Rippleman

There is no doubt that aquatic supplies in Dublin (I do not know about the rest of the country) are way overpriced

There is a filter medium I use regularly (PolyBio Marine Poly Filter) which averages €22 here but if I order from the US (ordering 10 at a time) they work out at €5.50 each including postage!!! That is a saving of a whopping 75%

I know the only way to keep LFS's in business is to support them but with a price difference like that there is no way I could justify giving them my hard earned cash. I tend to buy ONLY fish and order everything over the net
17-10-2007, 17:09   #7
SCI

Here's two shops I know of supply marine fish/equipment and
have a good range.One's in Belfast,the others in Lisburn.

Grosvenor Tropicals
Lisburn, BT27 5EA
Tel: 028 9263 4333
http://www.grosvenor-tropicals.co.uk

Exotic aquatics.
Prince Regent Trade Centre, Prince Regent Rd, Belfast, County Antrim BT5 6QR
http://www.exoticaquatics.co.uk/
17-10-2007, 17:42   #8
cichlid child

cheers sci
17-10-2007, 19:39   #9
sideFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippleman View Post
There is no doubt that aquatic supplies in Dublin (I do not know about the rest of the country) are way overpriced

There is a filter medium I use regularly (PolyBio Marine Poly Filter) which averages €22 here but if I order from the US (ordering 10 at a time) they work out at €5.50 each including postage!!! That is a saving of a whopping 75%

I know the only way to keep LFS's in business is to support them but with a price difference like that there is no way I could justify giving them my hard earned cash. I tend to buy ONLY fish and order everything over the net
Nice one mate! gonna start doing that myself! Happy fishin!
Advertisement
15-01-2008, 21:00   #10
M.C.
Banned

Would like to see more links to good online shops with lots of stuff! Looking for marine spetiality shops! Any links would be great!
09-10-2008, 16:01   #11
WHU

Hi, are there any dealers in the Cork/Limerick areas
10-10-2008, 14:01   #12
nhughes100

Send a message via MSN to nhughes100
You're dead right, it's robbery to get involved with Marine, I got an Orca 450 last year and must have spent 8-900 quid on it including what I paid for it. Just want to get rid of it now as the costs of keeping it are too much. Aquatic village is where I got my stuff but there prices for anything are fairly steep.
11-10-2008, 10:39   #13
Fishyfreak

Lads for Marine Supplies go to Aquarium Solutions in Ashbourne, Andy the owner is a top bloke and the shop is mainly dedicated to Marine fish/Inverts/Corals etc.

Kinsealy Pet Store also have a very nice Marine Section too.

Also, get on to www.irishfishforum.com, this is the site of the Leinster Fishkeeping Society.

Join the club (not just joining the forum) will get you a 10% discount off anything in these shops whenever you shop there.

Its a lively forum, always good banter and lots of good advice to be had.

Take it easy,

Peter.
05-01-2009, 23:53   #14
Rory123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyfreak View Post
Lads for Marine Supplies go to Aquarium Solutions in Ashbourne, Andy the owner is a top bloke and the shop is mainly dedicated to Marine fish/Inverts/Corals etc.
+1... Wouldn't even buy a grain of salt anywhere else! Show Andy a small bit of loyalty and he'll always knock off a fiver here and a tenner there.
06-01-2009, 01:22   #15
Senor Willy

Andy is a top bloke and knows his stuff.
As Fishy Freak says, why not join the Leinster Fish keeping Society. It has the most Marine fish keepers out of all the clubs in Ireland.
But it is also has plenty of fresh water fish keepers there too.

Visit our forum..
www.irishfishforum.com

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion