Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-05-2012, 09:15   #256
jgbyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxuumman View Post
Hi all,
I started on the Champix 26 days ago, the first few days I felt very very very exhausted. Other than that I have had no side effects from Champix. No dreams, no nausea, no bad taste, nothing. Okay, so far so good. My problem is that it is having no affect on my cravings to smoke. I have cut the cigs down to 20, and I have basically cut out the coffee, those two went hand in hand. Now smoking 20 instead of 40. But I can't get below this number. I have started to read Allen Carr, I am finding this a big help. I'm also chewing gum ( not nicotine gum, ordinary gum ), this is a big help also. But I can't get below the 20.
Has any one else experienced this. I'm desperate, any advice greatly appreciated. I need to stop smoking, they will kill me.
Hiya, sounds similar to my situation.
I had decided to stop on day 14 of taking the champix.Approaching the day I found that my desire to stop had not decreased though the cigs didn't taste the same. I continued to smoke my 20 a day until day 21 & then decided I had to stop.
The thing to remember is the champix won't make you stop,only you can do that, but it will mean that once you do you won't feel like smoking (if that makes sense)
It is difficult to make the step but it is worth it. Once I stopped I found immediately that I didn't feel like having that next cigarette. Obiviously you need to decide mentally that you don't want another cig.
I am now just over nine weeks off them & although I still get moments when I think I would like one, the majority of the time I'm ok. I have just finished the 3 month course of champix & I think its important to take them as directed.
Personally I had no side effects at all,maybe I was lucky.
Best of luck.
Advertisement
30-05-2012, 11:57   #257
Stefan_Cork

Interesting to mention are the side effects too:

As of July 1, 2009, the US Food and Drug Administration requires Chantix (varenicline) to carry a black box warning, the agency's strongest safety warning, due to public reports of side effects including depression, suicidal thoughts, and suicidal actions.[9]

All info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varenicline

But your doctor will tell you anyways, especially about quite high amounts of depression, nausea and suicide rates, aswell as small amounts of Cardiovascular disease. Its his job and your doc will balance it risk-benefit wise and should educate you if he doesnt work for pfizer.

Anyways its very informative link above to get closer to the whole picture.

I have highest respect to all of you quitting the evil stinkies and hope
you all get healthier and live longer.

regards
01-06-2012, 14:45   #258
kleine_schwein

Anyone been on Champix while on psychiatric meds at the same time? or is it a complete no-go?

I'm on prozac, chlorpromazine and diazepam at the moment (antidepressants/antipsychotics/benzodiazepines... for anxiety/depression and other lovely mental issues).

Got patches already but they are making me so itchy, and the chewing gums make me shudder when I taste them!! have friends who tried the tablets and did really well so I'd love to give them a go!...
01-06-2012, 14:54   #259
Stefan_Cork

I do highly recommend to talk to your doctor about this in first instance.
I wouldnt go by "recommendations" in your case.

Safety first
15-06-2012, 00:55   #260
NATLOR

Just a quick update,am over a month smoke free now, well chuffed, finding the tablets hard going though,crazy nights, little sleep.feeling detached,5 weeks of tablets left, will stick it out, its SO worth it.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-06-2012, 01:48   #261
celticcrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleine_schwein View Post
Anyone been on Champix while on psychiatric meds at the same time? or is it a complete no-go?

I'm on prozac, chlorpromazine and diazepam at the moment (antidepressants/antipsychotics/benzodiazepines... for anxiety/depression and other lovely mental issues).

Got patches already but they are making me so itchy, and the chewing gums make me shudder when I taste them!! have friends who tried the tablets and did really well so I'd love to give them a go!...
Talk with your doc first, I dont think your doc will put you on them as they might not go well with your other meds. You might have to find another way.
02-07-2012, 11:01   #262
spoofilyj

Send a message via Skype™ to spoofilyj
Well I jsut said I'd pop in to give an update on my progress.
I stopped smoking four weeks ago after being on Champix for two weeks, I fulfulled my first prescription of the tablets.

To be honest though the only side effect I had from the tablets was very vivid dreams, I stopped taking the champix tablets once the prescription was done and I dont intend to go back on them if I can help it.

I think they are great as I have never been off cigrettes longer. It gave me the step and help I needed to get off them initially but now that there is no nicotine in my body I think I'm ok to go on not smoking with out the tablets.

There have been days where I really want a smoke and days when I dont think about the blasted things at all. Its not the easiest but its not torture either.

I have been out to the pub four or five times since I quit and been in the smoking section with smokers and I've been fine with it, and all my friends understand and are supportive but the smoking area is still great for chats and I'm not changing how I interavt with people only what I put in my body so being able to handle the smoking area is great.

I'd say that I'll never bee free of a tiny bit of desire to light one up but with my wits about me I think I'll be alright.

Best of luck to anyone in the same situation.
If you are thinking about trying to give up I would just go for it. I procrastinated for ages before giving up but now I feel soo much better every day...
03-07-2012, 11:42   #263
clicli

I started Champix two weeks ago today, and quit a week ago today. This is the longest I have not smoked in years, and it has been so easy compared to any other attempt. The only side effect I have had isnausea just after taking the tablet, even with food so the pharmacist suggested taking Mottilium to settle my stomach which has worked like a dream.

I am so proud of myself for quitting, and I know now I will never smoke again. To celebrate I am starting Couch to 5k today, and my taste buds are kicking in and all I want is chocolate! I don't to want to put on weight due to quitting.

Best of luck to everyone else, and if you are thinking of using Champix, talk to your doctor about it Take the first step, I am do glad that I did!
Thanks from:
03-07-2012, 23:38   #264
trellheim

Still here. Champix in July 2007; still off the fags 5 year later No it wasn't easy but nothing worth having is, now is it ?
Advertisement
13-09-2012, 10:42   #265
killacat

My 14 days is this Monday so 4 days time and haven't really felt less of a desire to smoke but getting some of the effects, like dreams, poor sleep,bad taste, detachment... Really disappointed cos was hoping this would be a magic solution!! Am I being premature, might it kick in yet??
13-09-2012, 15:47   #266
Mur1

Quote:
Originally Posted by killacat View Post
My 14 days is this Monday so 4 days time and haven't really felt less of a desire to smoke but getting some of the effects, like dreams, poor sleep,bad taste, detachment... Really disappointed cos was hoping this would be a magic solution!! Am I being premature, might it kick in yet??
Ya I was the same, smoked just as much up to the day I quit. I went to day 19. Into my 3rd day off them now which is not a lot yet but going good:-). I couldn't manage to even get through a day cold turkey and God knows how many times I tried. Champix helps so much. It makes the impossible feel like a walk in the park.
13-09-2012, 15:59   #267
gimli2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by killacat View Post
I smoked for over 20 years and never considered giving them up. Went on Champix thinking "This is never going to work" It certainly reduced the cravings somewhat fairly early on but you still really have to want to give up.

I stopped smoking fully after about 20 days. Six weeks in broke down and smoked a whole weekend. They were the last cigarettes I had & that was over two years ago. Still get cravings and wouldn't mind one now but to be honest quitting is the best thing ever.

Hope you stick with it. Quitting's not easy and I don't envy you but well worth it, if you can.
Thanks from:
19-09-2012, 06:56   #268
georgygirl

Hi all. This is my first time in a forum. But I just need to hear some support on kicking the habit. I'm on day 16 of taking champix, and still have not found the strength or will power to pick a quit day. I've read lots of posts of the people who have succeeded, and I take my hat off to you :-) i'v just turned 40 and wish to stop smoking for my health and children more than anything. It breaks my heart when I read posts, saying that they have stopped and feel fantastic, Makes me feel like a totally addicted idiot, who is weak with no guts or willpower. The thing that makes me angry is that I know I can do this...and to be rid of the guilt and judgement I put upon myself would be bliss. I just have to take that first scary step on my own. It would be nice to hear from people who have felt this way, but have acheived the dream of health and happiness.
(2) thanks from:
19-09-2012, 07:21   #269
Michael Weston

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgygirl View Post
Hi all. This is my first time in a forum. But I just need to hear some support on kicking the habit. I'm on day 16 of taking champix, and still have not found the strength or will power to pick a quit day. I've read lots of posts of the people who have succeeded, and I take my hat off to you :-) i'v just turned 40 and wish to stop smoking for my health and children more than anything. It breaks my heart when I read posts, saying that they have stopped and feel fantastic, Makes me feel like a totally addicted idiot, who is weak with no guts or willpower. The thing that makes me angry is that I know I can do this...and to be rid of the guilt and judgement I put upon myself would be bliss. I just have to take that first scary step on my own. It would be nice to hear from people who have felt this way, but have acheived the dream of health and happiness.
Why not pick one week from today,you could come back here and leave updates that way you wont feel alone. I actually felt sad giving them up as stupid as that sounds.

Nine months off them and I will never touch them again.

You can do this and you will feel so much better without them.

Best of luck.
Thanks from:
19-09-2012, 09:21   #270
georgygirl

Thanks Michael. I will have to pick a day soon. And your right, it's like giving up a long time companion, who has done nothing but taken from me. I will keep my progress updated, and hopefully very soon I can celebrate being in the land of the non smoker :-)
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion