Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-08-2012, 12:50   #241
paperclip2

Quote:
Originally Posted by p38 View Post
Hi newbie here hope im posting in the correct thread? My question is i just finished a 2 year course with vtos where i received my full btea But it finished in june and i was signed off. I applied for third level and was excepted as a mature student but the problem is I am still waiting to hear from social welfare to see if I am entitled to anything and I dont know should I fill in the back to education form and send it in :confused
Hi I'm a bit confused. Were you on VTOS or BTEA because they are two separate things?

If you are going to college you should definitely send in the BTEA application form. If you are currently on Jobseekers you can't keep this payment and study so you have to apply for BTEA. To get BTEA for college you need nine months on a Social welfare payment and this can include time spent on VTOS or previous BTEA as long as you are now currently on Jobseekers.
Advertisement
23-08-2012, 12:59   #242
paky
Banned

[QUOTE=Aapplying for a course and it is not your first degree that you would be liable for full fees. Is this still true if this is your first course was NOT in Ireland? If you have not officially taken up a position on the CAO would you still be counted as having done a first degree? e.g Baechelor of Arts in an American University[/QUOTE]santeSamuel22;80357530]Hi guys, just a quick question. I know that if you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclip2 View Post
Hi

Yes, unfortunately the Dept of Ed will only provide free fees for your first shot at a complete undergrad course. If you hold a qualification at the same or higher level than the one you are now going to do then its very unlikely you would get free fees or any grant support.
It doesn't matter where you did your initial qualification. The only loophole would be if your existing degree was assessed as being at a lower level than a comparable Irish qualification, e.g. if your course was considered comparable to a level 7 degree in Ireland then you could qualify for free fees etc for a one year 'top-up' course to bring it to a level 8 standard.
However, if a period of five years has lapsed following the receipt of a previous third level grant, you are eligible for another third level grant.
23-08-2012, 13:06   #243
paperclip2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paky View Post

However, if a period of five years has lapsed following the receipt of a previous third level grant, you are eligible for another third level grant.
This second chance rule only applies if you have not received any qualifications during your previous study. If you do then you are ineligible for free fees or a grant for any new course at the same level as your current qualification.

AsanteSamuel has implied he already has a qualification from his previous study in the US so the 2nd chance rule does not apply.

You can check this with the Dept of Education Student support unit Tel: 057 9325317.
Thanks from:
23-08-2012, 13:12   #244
paky
Banned

Quote:
This second chance rule only applies if you have not received any qualifications during your previous study. If you do then you are ineligible for free fees or a grant for any new course at the same level as your current qualification.

AsanteSamuel has implied he already has a qualification from his previous study in the US so the 2nd chance rule does not apply.

You can check this with the Dept of Education Student support unit Tel: 057 9325317.
I didn't know that. I thought that only applied to individuals who were assisted in receiving their qualification in Ireland.

Last edited by paperclip2; 23-08-2012 at 13:18. Reason: bit dodge :)
23-08-2012, 13:17   #245
paperclip2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paky View Post
I didn't know that. I thought that only applied to individuals who were assisted in receiving their qualification in Ireland
Nope, qualifications from anywhere count.

And although I may agree with your sentiments Paky I've edited the end of your post as it could be considered to be hovering over the line of advocating fraud
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-08-2012, 15:17   #246
p38

Quote:
Hi I'm a bit confused. Were you on VTOS or BTEA because they are two separate things?

If you are going to college you should definitely send in the BTEA application form. If you are currently on Jobseekers you can't keep this payment and study so you have to apply for BTEA. To get BTEA for college you need nine months on a Social welfare payment and this can include time spent on VTOS or previous BTEA as long as you are now currently on Jobseekers.
sorry about the confusion i was on vtos and had to sign off at the end of june i am currently waiting to see if i am entitled to any social welfare i know you have to be receiving social welfare to apply for BTEA College is starting 6th Sept so I am probably out of time I dont think I will qualify for social welfare as my partner is currently working making about €420 before tax a week
23-08-2012, 15:26   #247
paperclip2

Quote:
sorry about the confusion i was on vtos and had to sign off at the end of june i am currently waiting to see if i am entitled to any social welfare i know you have to be receiving social welfare to apply for BTEA College is starting 6th Sept so I am probably out of time I dont think I will qualify for social welfare as my partner is currently working making about €420 before tax a week
Its a bit of a wait and see at the minute so. Even if you only qualify for a partial rate of JSA or JSB that should be enough to get you full rate BTEA. And your time on VTOS will count towards the 9 months qualifying period.
23-08-2012, 15:34   #248
p38

Quote:
Its a bit of a wait and see at the minute so. Even if you only qualify for a partial rate of JSA or JSB that should be enough to get you full rate BTEA. And your time on VTOS will count towards the 9 months qualifying period.
thanks for the reply so do you recommend sending in the BTEA application or waiting?
23-08-2012, 16:17   #249
paperclip2

Quote:
thanks for the reply so do you recommend sending in the BTEA application or waiting?
I'd try to hand it in. They might not accept it though until there is a decision made as to your JS entitlements. But the sooner they have it, the sooner they process it. There can be delays with receiving the BTEA so the sooner the application gets in, the better.
Advertisement
24-08-2012, 17:17   #250
ditzyfairy

well i got a letter today saying i'm ineligible for the grant based on the fact i done 3 months of a level6/7 course 5years ago (and didn't get the grant then either), but I called the help desk and they reckon I could appeal based on the fact the course I've applied for has an optional 4th year that would make it a level 8 so if I intend on doing the 4th year that would make me eligible.

Has anyone ever successfully appealed before? Or have any tips on appealing?
27-08-2012, 12:50   #251
paperclip2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzyfairy View Post
well i got a letter today saying i'm ineligible for the grant based on the fact i done 3 months of a level6/7 course 5years ago (and didn't get the grant then either), but I called the help desk and they reckon I could appeal based on the fact the course I've applied for has an optional 4th year that would make it a level 8 so if I intend on doing the 4th year that would make me eligible.

Has anyone ever successfully appealed before? Or have any tips on appealing?
Hi, DF,

If you only did 3/4 months of the course and its more than 5 years ago then you should be eligible for the full grant under the 2nd chance rule. Do you already have a previous completed qualification?
27-08-2012, 13:44   #252
ditzyfairy

Quote:
Hi, DF,

If you only did 3/4 months of the course and its more than 5 years ago then you should be eligible for the full grant under the 2nd chance rule. Do you already have a previous completed qualification?
yes thats what I thought, im in the middle of writing the appeal now

I have a fetacl level 5 component and fetac level 6diploma (both part-time courses)

but the letter said i was refused because I previously attended an undergraduate level 6 or 7 so surely they aren't considering the fetac level 6 as undergrad course?
27-08-2012, 14:17   #253
zero19

Got the list of documents needed from SUSI today, just wondering it says I need evidence of independent residence from Oct 1st 2011 to one month prior to the letter, does that mean I need two bills, one from last October and one for July or is it a bill for each month from October?
27-08-2012, 14:56   #254
paperclip2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzyfairy View Post
yes thats what I thought, im in the middle of writing the appeal now

I have a fetacl level 5 component and fetac level 6diploma (both part-time courses)

but the letter said i was refused because I previously attended an undergraduate level 6 or 7 so surely they aren't considering the fetac level 6 as undergrad course?
FETAC level 6 is not an Undergrad course in the context of third level. It sounds like the grant assessor got mixed up. Ring the Dept of Ed dept that covers this and they will give you clarity on your entitlement to grant, fee etc.
Tel: 057 9325317

From the info you've given, DF, it looks to me like you should be grant eligible
Thanks from:
27-08-2012, 14:56   #255
paperclip2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero19 View Post
Got the list of documents needed from SUSI today, just wondering it says I need evidence of independent residence from Oct 1st 2011 to one month prior to the letter, does that mean I need two bills, one from last October and one for July or is it a bill for each month from October?
I think its one for October and one for July. Don't think you need one from each month.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion