Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coin Dealers in Dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

He is a French man, he has a place about halfway down the antiques/
    jewellery corridor. He has all sorts of nice antiques and Lindner trays
    under the counter.

Anyone know of any other small shops with a coin tray or anything,
    I'm desperate for new finds! :)

The Collectors Shop in the Blackrock Market http://www.blackrockmarket.com/thecollectorsshop.html It's a couple of years since I had a look at his stock - expensive if I remember correctly - but then again I'm not well up on coin values.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Szarik102

Very expensive!
    Though sometimes he misses something and there's a bargain to be found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

I just got back from Dublin Auction Rooms down at the O2 / Point Depot.

He had a big tray of Irish and English coins.

There was loads of bric-a-brac and I found a plastic keyring
    with small pictures of the old Irish bank decimal banknotes,
    got it for 50 cent.

http://www.dublinauctionrooms.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kino28982

If it's a sovereign - slightly bigger than the old 1p coin -then it should weigh about 8gms and depending on where you sell it (€250 approx) and if it is smaller than a 1p coin and weighs 3.99 gms it is a half sovereign and worth about half as much. Ebay is a good place to sell or O'Reilly's Auctioneers in Francis Street, Dublin http://www.oreillysfineart.com/ or Weldon's, Temple Bar http://www.jwa.ie/en/welcome.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_half_sovereign_coin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_(British_coin)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi was given a lage collection of coins

Any idea if there worth anything ?

Theer are about 7 trays of coins

I have posted the Very Large coins and the gold and silver coins

The other trays are some very small old coins

Any help appreciated

IMG_4135.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg

IMG_4133.jpg

Cheers

Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭beanhead

Hi, asked to sell these to open a saving a/c for my nephew, any idea how to even classify their condition & set reserve on ebay?

I took them out of the mounts carefully, then macro-photo'd - didn't clean them, this is what they were like when I got them, condition XF, AU or what?

http://photobucket.com/libertygoldcoins

Found a helpful page here, but not sure if I am looking at , 1897 O or 1897 S & 1898 or 1898 S

http://www.coinstudy.com/liberty-ten-dollar-gold-coin-values.html#

From this info am I to understand they were minted in Philly?

I can see what some went for previously on ebay, but is this realistic?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/csc/i.html?_nkw=gold++%28liberty%2Ceagle%29+coin+%281897%2C1898%29&_sacat=0&_stpos=&_sop=3&gbr=1&LH_PrefLoc=2&LH_Complete=1&_odkw=gold+%2410+%28liberty%2Ceagle%29+coin+%281897%2C1898%29&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Thanks for any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 afg87

Hi,

I have a 2008 Antarctic Explorer Proof Coin Set with the €100 gold coin and the €5 silver coin (only 1000 issued). Does anyone have an idea of the current value for these sets and the best way to go about selling it. Can't find any on ebay!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

garyh3 wrote: »
    Hi was given a lage collection of coins

Any idea if there worth anything ?

A quick answer is yes you have some valuable coins here especially the first tray
    Ill go through them later when i get a chance to give you an idea of what they are worth,
    id like to see the backs of the coins and the other trays aswell

Thanks for the reply here are a few more photos of the coins if you need more detail I can send if you PM you details

thanks

Gary

IMG_4144.jpg

IMG_4143.jpg

IMG_4142.jpg

IMG_4141.jpg

IMG_4140.jpg

IMG_4139.jpg

Regards

Gary

• Advertisement

One of the coins has a piece of paper under the coin that says

Saxony Dietmar 1569

the values i give here are the prices a dealer would sell at, if you were to sell these coins in one lot expect to get less than these
    i cannot make out the dates or eaxct condition of the coins so I can only give a rough guide,
    spot price of gold at time of writing €1324.93/troy ounce

main tray - gold and silver

Silver coin first in from the left and the six in the second row look to be part of the 1887 jubilee set along with the £2 pound or double sovereign second from the left in the first row and the sovereign first from the right in the second row
    the full set contained a £5, £2, sovereign, halfsovereign, crown, halfcrown, florin, shilling, sixpence and three pence
    here you have the £2, sovereign, crown, halfcrown, florin and two one shillings, because you have two one shillings its possible that the set was pieced together rather than some bits missing
    the sopt price on the £2 is just over 620 but because of condition should go for €800-900
    the spot on the sov is 310 but should go for around €380
    the silver coins would be worth €400-500
    the next row first from the left are two half guineas which are worth spot which is just under €165
    the next two in from the left are two guineas, cant tell the dates, the spot on these is €330 but these should go for €400-500 possible more
    next in from the left is another guinea with a spot price of 330
    on the rest of the tray you have 11 sovereigns and 4 half sovs
    the spot on sovs is just over €310 and the halves just over €155, most of these should go for more than this as there looks to be some unc or clost to ones there
    the next tray in post 157 contains a number of coins which i cannot make out exactly from the photos but they do have some value, on the second row second in from the right is a marie theresa thailer thats worth around €30 and a cartwheel penny 1797 second from the right in the bottom row woth around 10

the first tray on post 161 the first three rows cointain a number of silver shillings and threepences which are quite worn, still worth €6 for the shillings and €3 for the threepences
    first on the right on the fourth row and third from the right in the fifth row are two victorian half farthings worth around €25 each
    the bottom row are a number of hammers coins but the photos are not clear enough to see if the descriptions underneath are accurate, they are still worth a bit i would say at least €50 each

the last two trays have a number of maundy sets and singles, are the dates underneath correct? if so i will value them later

Thank you so much for the Valuations Anthony

Very much appreciated

Gary

That set is a definite candidate for find of the year.

I'd like to see some large focused photos of those sets,
    they would be a useful reference tool in the future.

Those wooden cases look custom made as well, whoever
    collected those coins really loved them.

This find is further evidence for the need for a dedicated thread for coin
    valuation - what happened to the discussion around this we were
    having a few weeks ago?

I have to go and get a cloth now and clean the drool off
    my keyboard :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Those wooden cases look custom made as well

AFAIK those wooden trays are part of those old wooden cabinets made for coin collecting. I've seen them for sale at auctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

This find is further evidence for the need for a dedicated thread for coin
    valuation - what happened to the discussion around this we were
    having a few weeks ago?

The thread has now been made a sticky so any further posts relating to valuation can be posted there,also any new threads relating to the subject that fit into this category will be also moved into this sticky.

Hi all thaks all for the discussion on the coins yes it the tray looks custome made and has a sleve they fit into and then closes up

I will post more pics as soon as I get a better Camera or teh sets and Box

cheers

Gary

arnhem44 wrote: »
    The thread has now been made a sticky so any further posts relating to valuation can be posted there,also any new threads relating to the subject that fit into this category will be also moved into this sticky.

Excellent, this should help consolidate the frequent requests for coin valuation.

Could we copy pages 4 and 5 of this thread to the sticky? There's plenty
    of useful reference info in those photos and their descriptions.

I'll try and post up more useful coin links now there is a permanent home
    we can all use as a jumping off point to the magical world of coins and collecting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hi barneysplash,by copying pages 4 and 5 of this thread to the Valuation thread it will upset the order that the posts appear in in the Valuation thread.When a post is copied to another thread the copied post falls into place in the new thread by the date it was originally posted,pages 4 and 5 by date are older and would appear at the start of the sticky thread and may confuse anyone reading the sticky.If you wish you can use the quote feature to highlight whichever info you find useful and re post it in the new thread or link to pages 4 and 5 in a new post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭scheister

Hi Everyone

Im looking at getting into Coin Collecting. Can anyone recommend a book to use as a reference point to start with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

scheister wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

Im looking at getting into Coin Collecting. Can anyone recommend a book to use as a reference point to start with.

Depends what area of coin collecting you want to get into. Is it for Irish coins?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭scheister

Blade wrote: »
    Depends what area of coin collecting you want to get into. Is it for Irish coins?

Mostly Irish coins but i pick up a few random foreign coins along the way

scheister wrote: »
    Mostly Irish coins but i pick up a few random foreign coins along the way

Well a great little book for reference on Irish coins is "Coins and tokens of Ireland" by Seaby, it's from 1970 so values mean nothing now, but it's a nice reference book covering all the main coins and token of Ireland since the Hiberno-Norse period. You should be able to pick up a copy from a dealer or ebay for about 20 Euro. Might have a spare one here, would need to check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Joburgers

Hi does anyone know when there is a stamp and coin fair on soon ?? thks

21-23rd Oct

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Razspur

Moderator warning. Please familiarise yourself with our forum charter before posting. No selling/buying of items permitted on thread.

Mod: Quote removed for obvious reasons

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054970957

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

I have an unopened bag of approx 1,200 1968 Irish pennies. I think it's an old £5 bag? (240 pennies in an old pound?)

The bag still has the mint seal on it so I am presuming the coins are classified as gem uncirculated?

Can anyone advise a possible value for this? Also any leads on reputable Irish coin delaers?

Many thanks

1200 68 pennies would be worth very little even tho there are in unc condition because theres alot of
    every coin dealer in the country has loads of these and it would be hard to sell these cause its such a large amount
    I know one dealer thats been trying to sell these in lots of 50 for years
    with very little luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Razspur

As Anthony has said there was the largest ever mintage in 1968 of 30million, lots of Dealers, Hoarders and just about anyone who thought they could stash a couple of bags away for a rainy day. I have 2 sealed bags, 2400 coins and my brother has the same. They cannot be shifted easily but you could try selling them as luck pennies to anyone born in 1968 at 4€ each if you can find a good outlet. I have sold 2 packs of 50 for £5 each so if you do manage to offload yours let me know how. Cheers Ray.

Advertisement