Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
23-07-2007, 00:05   #1
thebaz
Registered User
 
thebaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,035
the M 50 Roma

i went today to the M 50 roundabout , to see conditions that the Roma are living in and the whole experience was very chilling and harrowing , to be happening in 21st century Ireland.
I got permission , and made a small donation , but it really was harrowing, and the sense of danger of kids begging/playing around a dangerous roundabout , needs to be documented IMO, without getting into a political / social debate on photography forum.
As regards photography i prefer photo 1 , but maybe photo 2 highlights the madness of the whole thing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebaz/871940447/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebaz/871940415/

There a few more on
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebaz/
thebaz is offline  
Advertisement
23-07-2007, 00:54   #2
gerky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,336
Great shots first especially,watching the news the other night was thinking the conditions were like refugee camps.
gerky is offline  
23-07-2007, 00:59   #3
i heart chewy louie
Innocent Man
 
i heart chewy louie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Merseyside
Posts: 21,290
byjaysais is that a man with a scarf on his head?

Tis no woman.
i heart chewy louie is offline  
23-07-2007, 01:06   #4
DadaKopf
Registered User
 
DadaKopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,694
It's important to photograph the people, but I feel they lack context. Portraits with more description in the background about their environment and situation, or a broader array of photos in different locations, reflecting the whole context would have strengthened the photos.

Top marks on engaging them, indeed. Though, I often feel uneasy about photojournalism: in particular, reproducing photos without an adequate caption and permission from the subjects (though this second one is not always possible).
DadaKopf is offline  
23-07-2007, 01:13   #5
thebaz
Registered User
 
thebaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadaKopf
It's important to photograph the people, but I feel they lack context. Portraits with more description in the background about their environment and situation, or a broader array of photos in different locations, reflecting the whole context would have strengthened the photos.

Top marks on engaging them, indeed. Though, I often feel uneasy about photojournalism: in particular, reproducing photos without an adequate caption and permission from the subjects (though this second one is not always possible).
i did get permission, but the whole scenario was crazy , the traffic was whizzing past (this is the M50) , kids running around , even getting my balance was dificult due to slippy surface (mud) , i can only say it was bedlam , and pure 3rd world in our capital .
thebaz is offline  
Advertisement
23-07-2007, 07:32   #6
Borderfox
Moderator
 
Borderfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Dunshaughlin, Ireland
Posts: 8,043
Nice shots, I would feel that if you had somehow shown the people and in the background or to the side a feeling on speed in the traffic you would get more of a feeling of danger (without putting yourself in the firing line). Fair play to you for doing it, I would have used my bigma from Ballymun!!
Borderfox is offline  
23-07-2007, 09:11   #7
City-Exile
Registered User
 
City-Exile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 2,523
Strange that you should put the pictures of Shamrock Rovers' stadium, in with your Roma pictures. I know Rovers are homeless, but Bohs are known as the Gypsies!
City-Exile is offline  
23-07-2007, 09:25   #8
nilhg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Rathangan, Co. Kildare
Posts: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by City-Exile
Strange that you should put the pictures of Shamrock Rovers' stadium, in with your Roma pictures. I know Rovers are homeless, but Bohs are known as the Gypsies!

Might be a safer place for them to camp though.

Also might move the process of getting it finished along.

Sort of a new version of the old "if I dont get planning permision I'll turn it into a halting site" threat
nilhg is offline  
23-07-2007, 09:53   #9
Eirebear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Glasgow currently, My Home is in Co.Donegal
Posts: 9,503
Some good stuff there Baz, i agree with the suggestions that it may have been a little bit more sympathetic towards the Roma's there if you had got something of a background or their surroundings.
But as a portrait the "look and the Stares" really works for me.

Again, well done on having both the Balls and the get up and go, to go and take these shots.
Eirebear is offline  
Advertisement
23-07-2007, 11:23   #10
sineadw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,296
I only heard about this yesterday. You wouldn't believe the mortality and morbidity rate for Traveller children, Irish and otherwise. Oooo I could rant...

Fair play to you Barry! I would never have the balls (figurative speaking of course) to do that. How did they react when you asked them? I suppose if they've been in the media the last while that made it a bit easier?

And were you ON the M50??
sineadw is offline  
23-07-2007, 12:05   #11
thebaz
Registered User
 
thebaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirebear
Some good stuff there Baz, i agree with the suggestions that it may have been a little bit more sympathetic towards the Roma's there if you had got something of a background or their surroundings.
But as a portrait the "look and the Stares" really works for me.
I would like to have got the background in , but i can't emphasise the chaos of the scenario , cars liieraly whizzing past , children pleading at my feet , me tring to speak to the men with little English -- and trying to keep my balance on the mud , an eye on my illegally parked car , and another hand over my wallet , with no press backup

I witnessed something similar about 10 years ago in Morocco ... but happening today in Dublin ?
thebaz is offline  
23-07-2007, 12:09   #12
Eirebear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Glasgow currently, My Home is in Co.Donegal
Posts: 9,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaz
I would like to have got the background in , but i can't emphasise the chaos of the scenario , cars liieraly whizzing past , children pleading at my feet , me tring to speak to the men with little English -- and trying to keep my balance on the mud , an eye on my illegally parked car , and another hand over my wallet , with no press backup

I witnessed something similar about 10 years ago in Morocco ... but happening today in Dublin ?
No it must have been nuts, and you did get some interesting (for want of a better word) pictures out of it, i take my hat off to you.
how did they react to you asking to take pictures?
Are these the families who were deported yesterday?
Eirebear is offline  
23-07-2007, 12:10   #13
eth0_
Registered User
 
eth0_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: London
Posts: 10,522
Three words: "Entirely" "Their" "Choice".
eth0_ is offline  
23-07-2007, 12:13   #14
Mitch Connor
Registered User
 
Mitch Connor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 25,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by eth0_
Three words: "Entirely" "Their" "Choice".
Yes.
Mitch Connor is online now  
23-07-2007, 12:15   #15
ThOnda
Registered User
 
ThOnda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dublin surroundings
Posts: 4,671
Amen!
ThOnda is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet