Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

House Insurance Renewal

• 06-07-2007 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭

My house insurance is due for renewal and after a bit of shopping around I've found a few better deals than my current cover. My question is do I need to inform my current insurer that I will not be renewing with them or can I just let the policy expire and take up a new policy starting on the expiry date?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

You'll need to cancel the policy with old insurance company. Some of them will continue cover until there told as they'll think you still want it and if they cancelled it and then you claim you did'nt there'll be an issue. Plus they still might try to DD your account. Best to inform them and start the new one. Can save you the hassle of looking for a refund on a over payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

If the policy has an expiration date it expires, end of story. You don't have to inform anyone. As good grace they may continue cover for a week or two beyond, pending instruction, but if you don't reply or do reply and say you've gone elsewhere there is nowt they can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Yeah.. I think my life assurance company gave a grace period when I hadn't renewed my policy after the first year - mainly because I hadn't received the renewal notice. Seems best that I give the home insurance company a call to let them know I'm moving on..

Thanks!

Advertisement