Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gandalf - Politics mod

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Karoma wrote:
    Was I too subtle?

Well, I didn't say that I agreed with it (Although, if you want to misquote that, go ahead.)

A ban removes one's ability to post and create threads in a particular forum. A ban is used to prevent disruptive elements for any number of reasons, that are often forum-specific. This is to allow others to continue discussion, and to help the banned learn. In Politics and related sub-fora, the reason can be that of 'lowering the tone' - which disrupts anything approaching real discussion and always ends up with silly name-calling and abuse. You were banned along these lines(If this is too subtle: YOU POSTED CRAP). i.e. Your ability to create a new thread or post was temporarily, and for a very short time at that, removed. Clearly, you have not learned and clearly evident from your contributions to most other fora, you will continue to post crap and be disruptive. A ban makes sense, but I dunno if I agree with it. I've found it tempting to do it.

You post the posts ive posted in any forum that are 'crap' to you and we will see. The reality here is that you are getting on the bandwagon here and appear incapable of making your own mind up. Dont worry though.......its obvious most mods are like that:rolleyes:

cm2000 wrote:
    fianna fail/pd's are reffered to as wasters or tossers all the time and nothing is said. i dont see the difference between this and calling the greens imbeciles? do i sense a political motivation behind this?

Good point:) One Ive already made to Gandalf (if that is his real name)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Yer man wrote:
    I dont think I have to wait till he comes back. Look at the posts prior to the extension. I did not PM him at all during this thread. There is no reason for the extension.
    Well either you're wrong, or you're repeating a rhetorical question when people want to get to the pictures of owls and cats. Either way, you're wrong.
    cm2000 wrote:
    fianna fail/pd's are reffered to as wasters or tossers all the time and nothing is said. i dont see the difference between this and calling the greens imbeciles? do i sense a political motivation behind this?
    Oh FFS one of the more active mods is a former member of the PDs. One of them used to be in Labour. There's no political motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

darkman2 wrote:

I tell you what - you dont reply to my posts - I wont reply to yours - your able to cope with that are'nt you?
    But its alright for you to go and start threads on a forum i mod about me and then blame someone else when you didnt get your support you needed.TuT TuT.Its a lame excuse as was the one you used here tonight for your original ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Rozie2 wrote:
    You post the posts ive posted in any forum that are 'crap' to you and we will see. The reality here is that you are getting on the bandwagon here and appear incapable of making your own mind up. Dont worry though.......its obvious most mods are like that:rolleyes:
    Yes, dear. It's all one big conspiracy. Everybody hates you just because it's a cool new trend and not that there could possibly be a reason for it. I've never had to read your posts or ban you. Ahem. (I didn't actually remember you until Snowbie reminded me,but now that I do... )
    Go on! Make it to step 1! Admit you have a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

darkman2 wrote:
    [you] appear incapable of making your own mind up. Dont worry though.......its obvious most mods are like that:rolleyes:
    Yes, most mods have no mind of their own.

Piss off trolling tbh.

I have to say I am truly stunned at how the boards moderators have treated me here. I have been bullied and antagonised from start to finish on this thread. It says far more about boards then it does about me.

Anyway I ask the question again (just so as it does not get lost in the rubbish others are posting here)

Why was my ban extended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

Ibid wrote:
    Oh FFS one of the more active mods is a former member of the PDs. One of them used to be in Labour. There's no political motivation.
    so whats the difference between the comments directed at the government and those directed at the greens? there is also a thread calling the greens scary. is it up to the mods to differenciate between tossers wasters scary parties and imbeciles? seems to me that he could have said " hey dont use the word imbeciles". as well as that a ban of say a week in this forum is like a lifelong ban considering its content- and for using the word "imbeciles". rediculous.

Snowbie wrote:
    But its alright for you to go and start threads on a forum i mod about me and then blame someone else when you didnt get your support you needed.TuT TuT.Its a lame excuse as was the one you used here tonight for your original ban.

I did get support from Croppyboy and Artictree etc.......you dont have a clue

In fact I sent PM's to most of them and got a favourable response that you were either not capable or just were modding the forum wrongly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Clearly this has nothing to do with me so I'm just going to increase my postcount and stay out.

Cartoon_Head.

• Advertisement

Clearly this has nothing to do with me so I'm just going to increase my postcount and stay out.

Cartoon_Head.

Its for the best;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I would like to say that I support both sides of the argument equally of course.

Cartoon_Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

darkman2 wrote:
    I did get support from Croppyboy and Artictree etc.......you dont have a clue

In fact I sent PM's to most of them and got a favourable response that you were either not capable or just were modding the forum wrongly.
    But i thought it was your brother who started all this and not you.Hmmmm you know what they say a good liar has to have a good ..........;)

Realy sad naming and tryin to shame other posters.Ill bet they'll love you now.

Snowbie wrote:
    But i thought it was your brother who started all this and not you.Hmmmm you know what they say a good liar has to have a good ..........;)

Realy sad naming and tryin to shame other posters.Ill bet they'll love you now.

Just because someone else started the thread does not mean I dont agree with it. I agreed completely with it.

So why did Gandalf extend my ban for taking my query here to feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

kaimera wrote:
    Hang on, Gandalfs a bloke?

Bugger.
    Gandalf: one word. Run.

kaimera: make sure the lovely ass also has lovely tits, next time
    darkman2 wrote:
    Ive said I will take the ban but not the extension.
    I don't see hou you have a choice in the matter.
    darkman2 wrote:
    I am entitled to take ths to feedback and obviously dont appreciate having a ban extended when I do.
    Again, why do you think you're entitled to feeback, from Gandalf?
    darkman2 wrote:
    I dont think I have to wait till he comes back.
    Eh... actually, you do. He's probably getting sober now, so he'll get back to you within the next year or so.
    darkman2 wrote:
    Good point One Ive already made to Gandalf (if that is his real name)
    Eh.... is darkman2 your real name? No? Then why would Gandalf be his?

Oh, and he probably extended your ban before he went drinking, so he doesn't have to put up with your crap for a while.

the_syco wrote:
    Gandalf: one word. Run.

kaimera: make sure the lovely ass also has lovely tits, next time

I don't see hou you have a choice in the matter.

Again, why do you think you're entitled to feeback, from Gandalf?

Eh... actually, you do. He's probably getting sober now, so he'll get back to you within the next year or so.

Eh.... is darkman2 your real name? No? Then why would Gandalf be his?

Oh, and he probably extended your ban before he went drinking, so he doesn't have to put up with your crap for a while.

More rubbish. It does not say much about boards.ie that I have to put up with your crap when I dont even want anything to do with you but rather want my query sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

cm2000 wrote:
    so whats the difference between the comments directed at the government and those directed at the greens? there is also a thread calling the greens scary. is it up to the mods to differenciate between tossers wasters scary parties and imbeciles? seems to me that he could have said " hey dont use the word imbeciles". as well as that a ban of say a week in this forum is like a lifelong ban considering its content- and for using the word "imbeciles". rediculous.
    I'd imagine that particular remark was simply the straw that broke the camels back tbh. I made the mistake of genuinely responding to his post in the PD thread where he called everyone who didn't support the PD's begrudgers and challenged anyone to prove him otherwise. I responded by listing several reasons why people might not like the PD's and Darkman then responded by inserting his own quote under my name in the reply and repeating his "yer all begrudgers" line. He obviously had no intention of having a serious debate and just used the thread to rant and increase his green smiley use.

Moments later he started a "the size of Trevor sargents head" thread. He is quite obviously a troll with no interest in having a serious discussion. The "imbeciles" comment is only a small part of the bigger picture. I've seen some dubious bannings on the politics forum over the last year or so but this one is fairly clear and well deserved imo. It’s a hard forum to mod and sometimes it’s a fine line between deserved / harsh bannings but not this time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Karoma wrote:
    Well then the extension was worth it as you started a thread ranting about an unacceptable ban...it's now acceptable.
    gets misquoted as ...
    Originally Posted by Karoma
    Why are you whining and ranting in a public forum?
    :rolleyes:
    ... and he answers (his own) question:
    darkman2 wrote:
    Sorry to burst your bubble but thats what feedback is for:)
    Unfortunately, that's what lots of people seem to think!

"Feedback" =/= "rant & whine".

I only stick my nose around the door of this place once in a very blue moon, and even I'm sick of the constant "The bad mod took away my toys for a week because I called the other kids names / said bad words / shouted and yelled" threads. They were funny at first, but jeez, do they get old fast.

Sometimes I wonder if some of these people are old enough to be let near a computer, let alone vote!

For all our sakes, just say ...

NOOOO!!!.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

darkman2 wrote:
    More rubbish. It does not say much about boards.ie that I have to put up with your crap when I dont even want anything to do with you but rather want my query sorted out.

Use the help desk in future then.

I'm with you though Gandalf clearly wields too much power on the internet. With those bans he is destroying peoples lives.

Ban Castor Troy! Oops, lost the run of myself there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

darkman, I've said it before and I'm sounding likea brokoen record, but basically the feedback forum has a very well defined pattern. The poster comes on and complains. Then all the mods attack him/her.
    You're better off making your point, and then walking away before all the other nonsense starts.
    It was obviously a rubbish banning, but you know what they're like. It won't be rescinded just because it was unfair.
    walk away from it, dude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Regarding the thread that your brother started, and your request to have it deleted....

Why not check your Sent Items to find out who you sent it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Was this thread not Godwined by post 19?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Gandalf didnt ban you for any set ammount of time. He said PM him after a week.

I'm imagine you are actually banned until you learn not to post in the manner which got you banned in the first place.

As someone said earlier, you did apologise so you acknowledge that you did something worthy of a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

This is as good/bad as my feedback threads :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

RuggieBear wrote:
    Was this thread not Godwined by post 19?

No, I think that if he called Gandalf a nazi, it'd be Godwined, but not as it stands.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Sceptre - I was not trolling at all.

Well you've hardly proved yourself a model citizen now either, have you? Frankly some of your posts on here wouldn't win me over if I had of banned you.

As for the brother thing, that seems pretty irrelevant, even if by some chance it happens to be through. Your account, your password = your responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

God that was a good nights sleep.

I believe you lied that you did indeed start the thread and based on your attitude in pm's to me and your general input on this thread you will indeed continue on in the vein you have established in the GE forum. You also have a history of causing problems and have been banned from other forums.

Based on this your ban has been extended because to be honest the politics mods can do without you posting in the forum and creating work for us until after the election.

I mean how guilable do you think we are? Lets look at your excuses.

"Other called FF and the PD's Nazi's" - No reported posts from you about these eventhough you say you are an experience user here, therefore you should know how things work, which you obviously don't.

"My Brother nicked my account" - Only mentioned to me after your 3rd response to my original ban notice

"I asked a unknown mod to delete the thread" - If you asked one of the politics mods to delete the thread it would have been done, where did you ask them, how did you ask them.

This is my last input in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

No, I think that if he called Gandalf a nazi, it'd be Godwined, but not as it stands.
    hmm...perhaps i read Godwin's law differently to your interpretation. :)

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one

I put forward that with his comparison of mods "not meant to go around acting like Hitlers all over the place" probability is indeed 1

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

tallaght01 wrote:
    darkman, I've said it before and I'm sounding likea brokoen record, but basically the feedback forum has a very well defined pattern. The poster comes on and complains. Then all the mods attack him/her.
    You're better off making your point, and then walking away before all the other nonsense starts.
    It was obviously a rubbish banning, but you know what they're like. It won't be rescinded just because it was unfair.
    walk away from it, dude.
    Keep fighting that powah, tallaght01. Everyone needs something to validate themselves.

On topic: the ban was warranted. The extension was warranted, if only because (IMO) the extended length was warranted in the first place.

darkman2, you have a history of pointless and disruptive posting in the Politics boards. Our role as moderators is to try to keep the discussion constructive and interesting. Removing your access has contributed to that.

The ban stands.

Oh yeah, and Gandie is a hot chick. Phwoar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

RuggieBear wrote:
    hmm...perhaps i read Godwin's law differently to your interpretation. :)

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one

I put forward that with his comparison of mods "not meant to go around acting like Hitlers all over the place" probability is indeed 1

Actually, you're quite right, I just glanced and thought you were on about where he said "What about the PD's = Nazi threads" so yeah, this thread should've been Godwined alright.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement