Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-05-2007, 20:14   #1
Mrs. MacGyver

Wilf Walker - Artist?

Hi I posted a topic in antiques/collectables but received no response. i am enquiring about the background of an artist called Wilf Walker. I tried to google him/her but to no avail. I received a picture painted by this artist (oil on canvas - country scene English?) from my neighbours who are having a house clearance before moving. it is in ok condition. Is it worth keeping for the future? His/her style looks like the type of thing John Constable paints. Sorry I cannot be more clearer on this.
Advertisement
04-05-2007, 02:11   #2
snickerpuss

Hmmmm I'd never heard of him and I had a quick search of Grove Art Online but to no avail.
Sorry!
08-05-2007, 18:39   #3
Mrs. MacGyver

Thanks anyway. i'll shove it in my attic in the hope he'll be the next Jack B Yeats (ah my retirement fund!). Found out from the antiques forum that he's William Aiken Walker (American Artist, 1838-1921). Should have realised that from the scenery! It's a nice peice and i'lll upload a pic of it next week when i'm home in Cork. I have to repair the gilt edged frame though. thanks again for the info.

Last edited by Mrs. MacGyver; 08-05-2007 at 19:27.
08-05-2007, 20:17   #4
snickerpuss

Ah, in that case I can give some info on him.

From GroveArtOnline - (subscription required) William Aiken Walker

Walker, William Aiken
(b Charleston, SC, 23 March 1838; d Charleston, 3 Jan 1921).

American painter. Together with Richard Clague (1821–73) and Joseph Rusling Meeker (1827–89), he is considered to be one of the leading painters of the American South in the late 19th century. Brought up in Baltimore and Charleston, he quickly showed a talent for painting and was given his first one-man exhibition at the age of 20. In 1861 he enlisted in the Confederate army, was wounded and returned to Charleston, working as a topographical artist mapping the defence works. Walker remained in Charleston until 1868, when he returned to Baltimore. After a trip to Cuba in 1869 and some European travel in 1870, he worked in the South, primarily in New Orleans, but making an annual circuit of the tourist areas of the Carolinas and Florida. His paintings are of landscapes and still-lifes, and his most typical scenes depict the unchanging ways of the ‘old South’, often showing blacks working at domestic chores or out in the cotton fields as in Cotton Plantation in the Mississippi (1881; Mobile, AL, J. Altmayer priv. col.). His work is usually small-scale with carefully delineated forms statically arrayed across the picture plane under bright, even daylight.

More info:
BIBLIOGRAPHY
A. P. Travaioli and R. B. Toledano: William Aiken Walker: Southern Genre Painter (Baton Rouge, LA, 1972)

Painting in the South, 1564–1980 (exh. cat., Richmond, VA Mus. F.A., 1983), pp. 96–7, 252

Art and Artists of the South: The Robert P. Coggins Collection (exh. cat. by B. W. Chambers, Nashville, TN Botan. Gdns & F.A. Cent., 1984), pp. 44, 46–7
09-05-2007, 19:16   #5
Mrs. MacGyver

Thank you so much! I never had a peice of original art before so i'm definately going to look at the recommended reading.
Advertisement
27-05-2007, 08:37   #6
SCOUTOZ

Wilf Walker

Hello,
I too have a print by Wilf Walker. Mine is a still life of Magnolias in a vase. I haven't been able to find anything out about the artist either. I wanted to point out, though, that the artist has definately signed his work 'WILF WALKER' and not 'WA WALKER' like on William Aiken Walker's work. If yours has the same signature, it may not be a William Aiken Walker. Unless, of coarse, the artist changed his signature part way through his carreer - who knows. Also, this still life of mine is very similar in style to Tretchikoff's work on the same subject. I'm happy to email you a picture of the signature if you'd like to compare.
16-08-2007, 16:52   #7
Miss Carling

Wilf Walker

Hello,
Thought I better tell you that I too now have a wilf walker painting! I actually saved it from the skip today as my partner was helping an elderly gentleman clear out his shed. Ive searched the internet and like you haven't found a thing. All I can say that my painting is a vase of peonies and is called
summer fantasy - peonies and is signed wilf walker. Anyone heard of this one?
16-08-2007, 22:19   #8
Mrs. MacGyver

I'll see can i find out anything. It's class that 3 of us have pics by the same artist!
17-11-2007, 20:46   #9
rehmanab

Wilf Walker

Hi guys, I also have a painting by Wilf Walker, it is of four horses (3 brown and 1 white). I have had it in te family since I was born - 28yrs. there is no info on Wilf Walker but have now read this thread.

Thanks

rehmanab@yahoo.co.uk
Advertisement
17-11-2007, 22:05   #10
snickerpuss

Very weird. I wonder how you all ended up with a painting by the same bloke in Ireland?
If any of you find out anything else do update me!
26-11-2007, 20:55   #11
danzapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehmanab View Post
Hi guys, I also have a painting by Wilf Walker, it is of four horses (3 brown and 1 white). I have had it in te family since I was born - 28yrs. there is no info on Wilf Walker but have now read this thread.

Thanks

rehmanab@yahoo.co.uk
omg !!! i cant believe someone else has pictures of horses by wilf walker...i did email you before i registered here ...i have a painting of 3 horses by him that i rescued from a clear out at an old peoples home in norfolk england...i too have had trouble finding info..altho 5 yrs ago i did find one of his paintings up for auction..in london ...but the auctioneers never mailed me back...and i gave up...my painting is also signed wilf walker not wa walker .....it is obvious from the painting this artist was used to painting landscapes and fauna...as they are immaculate but the horse are ok but not brill...any info gratefully recieved ....danzapp@aol.com
26-11-2007, 21:04   #12
danzapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. MacGyver View Post
Thanks anyway. i'll shove it in my attic in the hope he'll be the next Jack B Yeats (ah my retirement fund!). Found out from the antiques forum that he's William Aiken Walker (American Artist, 1838-1921). Should have realised that from the scenery! It's a nice peice and i'lll upload a pic of it next week when i'm home in Cork. I have to repair the gilt edged frame though. thanks again for the info.
sorry but it is nit the same artist have found a link to this auction house where 4 of wilfs painting s r up for sale ......i have looked at the wa walker paintings and they are a completely different style . and would be very surprised if they are by then same artist ...wilf walker is english ....
26-11-2007, 21:05   #13
danzapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzapp View Post
sorry but it is not the same artist have found a link to this auction house where 4 of wilfs painting s r up for sale ......i have looked at the wa walker paintings and they are a completely different style . and would be very surprised if they are by then same artist ...wilf walker is english ....
http://www.findartinfo.com/search/li...ord~136729.asp
08-02-2008, 18:22   #14
Sudesh

wilf walker

Well members
AT last i find something oin Wilf.Not to your surprise i have a painting by our wilf as well.I inherited this my dad who loved arts/paintings.He bought from an auction a long time ago.This one of mine is of a working horse and cart carrying logs across a bridge.Its not heavily painted but a light cloured painting on oil.Havent got a clue as of value or background but read short articles on wilf.Any help on this would be welcome from you experts out there.Im not in Ireland ,how did i end up with this in the The Midlands??
rgds
Can upload photo
23-06-2008, 15:55   #15
rehmanab

Horse's

Yeh, but now it begs the question.....
How much are these paintings worth????

Does anyone have any quotes or Idea?

thanks

Atif

Last edited by snickerpuss; 28-06-2008 at 16:33. Reason: Ad/link totally unnecessary

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion