Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-03-2007, 14:35   #16
milod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Shot
Halfords - Oh My God. For starters you will be left standing for at least half an hour like a complete tool. The you will be served by some barely living spotty sixteen year old who can barely talk. Every transaction, no matter how small, is like pulling teeth. Don't expect quality service, repairs or advice. They have no knowledge whatsoever and don't care one bit about customers.
They do have some good deals though - but learn to do basic repairs yourself.
Aha, I see you've visited the Coolock Branch... or are all of them that bad?!
Advertisement
29-03-2007, 14:47   #17
Money Shot

Halfords

No, never been to the Coolock Branch, but have experienced the Liffey Value and Blanchardstown varietys.
Where do they get the guys that work there - they seem to hire people who can perfect a certain gormless, uninterested look. They are always under staffed too.
As I say though - they do thave some good deals, unlike most LBS's
29-03-2007, 15:59   #18
mockerydawg

Carrickmines and the one in Mahon cork are the same. Avoid like the plague
30-03-2007, 15:46   #19
magicbastarder

i've only ever been in cyclelogical twice; both times, i waited for about 30 seconds a couple of foot from the counter, waiting for the staff to finish talking to their mates/other staff, both times i walked out without them even acknowledging my presence.
both my bikes were bought in cycle ways, one from brendan (i think - lanky aussie) and one from justin (i think). no complaints about the service i got from either of them.
30-03-2007, 18:09   #20
BeardyGit
Closed Account

I love these threads......

30 seconds....Too long to wait for service? Give me a break....
Advertisement
30-03-2007, 18:34   #21
daymobrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_Dub
30 seconds....Too long to wait for service? Give me a break....
I would have left too. magicbastarder said he was standing at the counter and ignored. IMO the customer should get the priority and the conversation with mates put on hold.
When I lived in California service was infinitely better than here - they know who pays the bills! I was in Sainsburys in NI last summer and the service was a ton better than Tesco here - no talking with mates while scanning my shopping.

Another thread tells about another brutal example of bad service in Ireland (a car dealer).
30-03-2007, 19:01   #22
BeardyGit
Closed Account

I won't argue with you Damo, you and I've both been around long enough to know there are pro's and con's in dealing with EVERY bike shop in Dublin, let alone Ireland.

The point is that sometimes it's more about the customers approach than the sales persons response. If someone hovered around the bike shop for a while before ending up over around the counter, then they might not attract too much attention. Think about the layout in Cycleogical too - The counter is choc' full of stock, overhead is full of N.O.S brake parts, chainrings and saddles etc. I often stand there looking for bits and pieces as opportunity buys, without a nod from the staff, and that's the way I want it. I want to stand there with my nostalgia drool pooling on my manboobs while I contemplate another purchase of something that's stashed behind the counter, or overhead....There a set of AMP B3 forks in there, NOS, that I could spend 20 minutes looking at.... I doubt I'm the only one who's like this in that shop.

Now in fairness, I would expect someone who walks up to the counter and says "Excuse me, can you help?" would be met with a response. But if the approach was more like my usual one, I'd actually expect to be ignored...

Different strokes for different folks. I'd rather ask for help and be left alone by shop staff apart from that. Maybe others expect staff who might be on their way out the door to lunch, or passing through on their day off to snap to it.... But you'll never get that in Cycleogical, as you and I both know. That doesn't make it a crap shop - It just appeals to a different type of customer.

Last edited by BeardyGit; 30-03-2007 at 20:20.
14-04-2007, 00:01   #23
Ausdubliner

I need help!!

I have been trying to buy a mountain bike. Finally found one cheap enough for my budget at cycleways. All was going well, finally got to cycle places instead of catching the bus!!

I had my bike TWO weeks and it has been stolen from the building where I live! (

Is there anywhere I can get a reliable secondhand bike (willing to pay upto about Euro 200)? I dont think I want to go through losing a second brand new bike.

Why do people feel they can steal other peoples property...it really annoys me.
14-04-2007, 08:39   #24
daymobrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausdubliner
I had my bike TWO weeks and it has been stolen from the building where I live! (

Is there anywhere I can get a reliable secondhand bike (willing to pay upto about Euro 200)? I dont think I want to go through losing a second brand new bike.

That's real bad luck - my first bike lasted a month before being stolen from outside my school (that was back in 1984 - I'm still annoyed by it). For the next time you should look into house contents insurance.
Advertisement
14-04-2007, 18:22   #25
GP

The Bike Shop in Wexford (www.thebikeshop.ie).

Going 25years (maybe more....) and the best wheel builder I've seen.

A tool for every job and MORE importantly, the knowledge.

Probably one of the best stocked bike shops in Ireland
14-04-2007, 18:23   #26
GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder
i've only ever been in cyclelogical twice; both times, i waited for about 30 seconds a couple of foot from the counter, waiting for the staff to finish talking to their mates/other staff, both times i walked out without them even acknowledging my presence.
That's just an Irish thing...not only bike shops
14-04-2007, 18:34   #27
hunnymonster

cyclogical are particularly bad though. They also look down their noses at people when you do actually get to talk to someone.
14-04-2007, 20:16   #28
Bluefoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausdubliner
I need help!!

I have been trying to buy a mountain bike. Finally found one cheap enough for my budget at cycleways. All was going well, finally got to cycle places instead of catching the bus!!

I have a GT Aggressor mountain bike that's a couple of years old, it's in good knick & would be a perfect hack/commuter bike. 18". Will let you have it for €120.
14-04-2007, 20:47   #29
crosstownk

Send a message via Skype™ to crosstownk
I only go to Wolfe Cycles in Kimmage. I've been dealing with them for nearly 20 years (with a substantial gap in the middle). Friendly staff, excellent service. I can't say what they are like for price because I never go anywhere else. But they cut me such a good deal on a racer I bought years ago that I never looked back. Recently I bought my current bike there - they did me another great deal and threw in loads of extras. All in all I'm very happy with the service. I'd have to recommend them.
Thanks from:
27-04-2007, 00:04   #30
kona

i found halfords great, i waited my turn in line due to the place being very busy like any shop on a weekend,.
also the fact some prick in front was abusing the staff like a know it all from boards.ie ,complaining bout the time it took to process his credit card but was only buying a repair kit:confused.
so i waited some more like any sane person ,and eventually was greeted politly by a little blond dude as if he didnt give a **** about the arsehole of a customer behind him shouting at him, he had a few spots ,needed a haircut ,like all lads his age do,but shockingly he told me the truth(didnt lie) about ****e bikes, knew all about the different parts, the advantages and disadvantages, he told me what i needed to know and i am now the proud owner of a kona firemountain , which i got at a disgracefully cheap price.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion