Originally Posted by kmick
This is the same Martin Cullen who screwed up on E-voting. Its like as that minister from the UK said '...being savaged by a sheep'. I'd say Michael O'Leary is quaking in his boots.
If that idiot Cullen got up off his skinny bony buttcheeks and did something about road deaths he might be remembered for something more than being the most incompetent minister of the 1990's/2000's; and that is saying lot considering the field of halfwits who currently occupy the dail.
Witness how the constant drip feed of negative stories about Martin Cullen produces ignorance and how he cops the blame for things that are not his fault.
Burnt your toast this morning? Blame Martin Cullen.
For your information, road deaths in Ireland are at their lowest level in decades, and this despite traffic volumes multiplying. That's quite an achievement, so if we're going to blame Cullen for things that aren't his fault, let's give him credit for successes on his watch.
Electronic voting in Ireland
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Irish government had made plans to introduce nationwide electronic voting for the local and European Parliament elections in 2004. The proposed change was under the supervision of the current Minister for the Environment & Local Government, Martin Cullen, however the scheme was committed to under the previous minister, Noel Dempsey. The proposed system lacked any Voter Verified Paper Audit Trail, and after a campaign by Irish Citizens for Trustworthy EVoting (ICTE) and opposition parties in Dáil Éireann, the government set up the Commission on Electronic Voting (CEV), to examine the proposed system.
The Commission's report stated that it was unable to verify the accuracy and secrecy of the proposed system. Due to the report the government was forced to postpone the introduction of the electronic voting system. Since the system was not used, many members of the public feel that it was a waste of money.
The government has spent €52 million on electronic voting machines and spends €800,000 per annum to store the machines. They do not work reliably and can be interfered with to affect the outcome of an election and the software proposed is inadequate for the task. The prime issue is the lack of verifiability by the absence of an audit mechanism or paper trail. Bertie Ahern defended the flawed system and has said in the Dáil, that elections after 2007 should be done without stupid old pencils.
The voting machines bought by the Government from Dutch firm Nedap are in storage as the cabinet ponders what to do after the Commission on Electronic Voting said it could not recommend the system. Approximately €0.5m is expected to be spent improving the software. Ahern has defended the system despite public scepticism and opposition from within his own party on the basis that having spent the money, it would cause loss of national pride if the system were scrapped.
In October 2006, a group of Dutch hackers, including Rop Gonggrijp, showed how similar machines to the ones purchased in Ireland could be easily modified.  This is contentious as in the Netherlands, 10% of voting machines are to be abandoned in the November 2006 Dutch elections and the Dutch Government is is to reintroduce paper ballots in those locations and to review the system in the other 90% of cases after the elections in November 2006.
Note that the scheme was the brainchild of Noel Dempsey, but Dempsey emerged scott free from the whole thing.
The machines deemed unsafe were used in the 2002 elections in Ireland in three constituencies and produced a result nobody doubted.
E-Voting operates successfully in many of the world's most advanced countries and nobody doubts the validity of their election results, yet in Ireland a shrill and parochial motley crew of media commentators, point-scorin' politicians and "concerned citizens" joined forces to kill off E-Voting. And then they had the nerve to shift the blame onto Martin Cullen.