Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-02-2007, 16:52   #1
HelterSkelter

Why is mobile internet so expensive?

I'm with meteor and it's 2c per Kb which adds up really fast if you use it for any length of time at all. My gf is with t-mobile in the UK. They charge 79p per kb (Expensive I know!!!) but there is a max charge of £1 a day no matter how much you use it. Now while this is not ideal it's better that the prehistoric pricing plans we have here which haven't changed in years. There is no incentive to get people to use the internet on their phones. Reminds me of the days when Eircom used to charge £89.99 for 512k broadband and claimed that Irish people don't want broadband. Yeah brains, the reason we didn't want it was cos it was so damn expensive!!
Advertisement
02-02-2007, 17:30   #2
Random
Closed Account

It must be the level of support the network would have to provide should it take off in a really big way?

Maybe the networks don't ave enough infrastructure in place either to cope with everyone wanting to use it at once, a real possibility with dirt cheap pricing.
02-02-2007, 18:09   #3
rogue-entity

Its nothing to do with networks not having the infrastructure, its profiteering, plain and simple. O2 still charge people just to access their O2 Active portal, unlike 3 and Vodafone which dont charge for this. 3 also provide far more content for free unlike Vodafone, but still both of them are better then O2 when it comes to Mobile Internet Pricing (although 3 doesnt have mobile internet yet.. their datacard plans are not too bad.
02-02-2007, 21:07   #4
Urban Weigl

Send a message via ICQ to Urban Weigl
I have a sim card from WIND in Italy, which gives me 5GB of data transfer for €15 (promotional, normal price is €30). And that's on pre-pay without a contract!

If you need mobile internet in Ireland, unfortunately there is no prepay offer. You really just need to go out and get a 1-year contract, no way around it. O2, Vodafone and 3 all offer data cards at this point, which cost about €40 a month for several gigabytes of usage.
03-02-2007, 09:58   #5
drrnwbb

Send a message via MSN to drrnwbb Send a message via Yahoo to drrnwbb
those prices are nuts! here in finland i use a virtual operator (saunalahti) and for 9,95 euros a month i get unlimited data transfer at 128kbs, 1000 domestic sms and 1000 (presumably domestic) mms. for another 8euros a month i get unlimited international smsesss.
Advertisement
03-02-2007, 10:32   #6
culabula

Send a message via ICQ to culabula Send a message via MSN to culabula Send a message via Yahoo to culabula Send a message via Skype™ to culabula
[QUOTE=Urban Weigl]I have a sim card from WIND in Italy, which gives me 5GB of data transfer for €15 (promotional, normal price is €30). And that's on pre-pay without a contract!

Do you have a link for this please?
03-02-2007, 10:35   #7
flodis79

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrnwbb
those prices are nuts! here in finland i use a virtual operator (saunalahti) and for 9,95 euros a month i get unlimited data transfer at 128kbs, 1000 domestic sms and 1000 (presumably domestic) mms. for another 8euros a month i get unlimited international smsesss.
Tele2 Sweden has unlimited "mobile broadband" for around 20 euros per month.. Can be used both in mobile phone and with the laptop.

Similar packages available with their domestic competitors too.

Ireland is just not using enough data - people are just not complaining. Guess they use the unlmited wap transfer on Blackberry and are quite happy with that.
03-02-2007, 10:47   #8
dohouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelterSkelter
I'm with meteor and it's 2c per Kb
Click:Meteor ISP GPRS
GPRS Charges (Internet Access)
If your phone has access to GPRS you can use it to access the internet.
Service Price
Connecting via GPRS €4.07
per MB downloaded*
Prices quoted exclude VAT at 21%
*1MB = 1,024 kB
Charging is applied per kB at a rate of €0.0040/kB
If you have a phone that will run Operamini, this is a fair bit cheaper.
03-02-2007, 10:48   #9
digitally-yours

Send a message via Skype™ to digitally-yours
They just rip people off

its free in uk there is not enough competition and all providers have created a Cartel
Advertisement
03-02-2007, 11:08   #10
flodis79

[QUOTE=culabula]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Weigl
I have a sim card from WIND in Italy, which gives me 5GB of data transfer for €15 (promotional, normal price is €30). And that's on pre-pay without a contract!

This offer does only work in Italy. Abroad you get 60 times less data transfer for your money.
03-02-2007, 13:50   #11
Urban Weigl

[QUOTE=culabula]
Quote:

It only works in Italy. The web site is wind.it, but it's all in Italian. IMHO it's useful if you travel to Italy, but it's not much good here.
03-02-2007, 22:37   #12
nazoil

in singapore they nearly pay you to use mobile internet. just look what vf.ie charge there for data roaming..a fraction of what they charge customers at home...even an orange france SIM working here is cheaper than some of the local telcos...used one recently and got loads of value out of it

Q. why is mobile internet so expensive?

A. because the networks can and if they thought they could charge twice/three times as much they would....simle supply / demand rationale
03-02-2007, 22:44   #13
culabula

Send a message via ICQ to culabula Send a message via MSN to culabula Send a message via Yahoo to culabula Send a message via Skype™ to culabula
[QUOTE=Urban Weigl]
Quote:
Originally Posted by culabula

It only works in Italy. The web site is wind.it, but it's all in Italian. IMHO it's useful if you travel to Italy, but it's not much good here.
Am off to Italy in 3 weeks. Found the link in any case. Inaddition, am hoping my three.ie data sim will work there, FOC, as promised.
03-02-2007, 22:54   #14
professore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazoil
in singapore they nearly pay you to use mobile internet. just look what vf.ie charge there for data roaming..a fraction of what they charge customers at home...even an orange france SIM working here is cheaper than some of the local telcos...used one recently and got loads of value out of it

Q. why is mobile internet so expensive?

A. because the networks can and if they thought they could charge twice/three times as much they would....simle supply / demand rationale
I think they would make more money if they made it cheaper.
03-02-2007, 23:33   #15
Urban Weigl

[QUOTE=culabula]
Quote:

Am off to Italy in 3 weeks. Found the link in any case. Inaddition, am hoping my three.ie data sim will work there, FOC, as promised.
Please report back how 3 coverage is over in Italy. Would be very interesting for many people.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion