What should I name my House? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-12-2006, 22:14   #1
irelandjoe

What should I name my House?

I am 3/4 the way through a house build and we have no idea what to call the house.
House is in Nenagh, Co. Tipperary with fantastic views of keeper hill and the silvermines, we are also in eye shot of river.

We really are stuck and any sensible suggestions would be appreciated? I was thinking somthing in Irish might be cool but open to any ideas?

Thanks
Advertisement
14-12-2006, 00:22   #2
crosstownk

Send a message via Skype™ to crosstownk
I always fancied the name "Lazy Lodge" but the wife won't have it
14-12-2006, 00:39   #3
irelandjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosstownk
I always fancied the name "Lazy Lodge" but the wife won't have it
HAHA
I should call it "Cable Havan" because of the amount of cable I put into it !!!!
14-12-2006, 10:04   #4
Kashkai
Closed Account

Fisrt thing to check would be that if you decided on something like"Hill View", ask the local postman if there's a similar address nearby so your post won't go astray. Then find out exactly which postal area the house is in.

We've recently been told by the local post office that our house isn't where we thought it was When we bought it, the title deeds, estate agent and previous owners all listed it as being in Prosperous Co. Kildare. Now two years later, the local post office in Prosperous has only recently started re-directing our post to Sallins post office for onward and thus delayed delivery to us. When I queried this, the rather abrupt post mistress informed me that my house was 200 metres outside the Prosperous boundary and I was therefore in the Sallins district. Now Prosperous is 1 mile from my house, Sallins is 4 1/2 miles away. I also told her that the title deeds stated the house is in Prosperous and that we had been getting our post delivered using the Prosperous address for the past two years. She said that we shouldn't have and then hung up. Now I'm caught between putting up with a delayed postal service or changing all my bills, car tax, insurance, etc to a new address.
14-12-2006, 10:25   #5
Homer J Simpson

Ballydung Manor
Advertisement
14-12-2006, 13:51   #6
antoinolachtnai

Send a message via AIM to antoinolachtnai Send a message via Yahoo to antoinolachtnai
A postal address is not a legal address and does not necessarily describe where your house is located. It has to do with how the letters are delivered.

It is just a routing instruction.

If you were going by postal addresses, you'd believe that Leitrim was part of Co. Sligo.

You can check this stuff on the address checker on the an post home page. You should see if you can get your house name added to geodirectory, and this may help resolve your problem. I have no idea how to go about this.

A.
14-12-2006, 13:57   #7
Hagar
User 7841

Maybe something starting with Dun or Rath?
14-12-2006, 14:20   #8
dolanbaker

we haven't named ours yet, but I dit think of "an teach ban" (the white house) at it will be a white house.

Then had second thoughts as there is a similar named house in usa with a tree in it...
14-12-2006, 14:44   #9
Hagar
User 7841

Well maybe not a whole tree but certainly a plank.
Advertisement
14-12-2006, 14:49   #10
Gordon
Administrator

Admin: Prison
How about "The Tetragon" then? Or similar Irish equivelant, just in case terrorists get confused.
14-12-2006, 17:01   #11
secman

We are coming to end of a build also, lovely views but not too sheltered, we couldn't think of a name either, more difficult than you would think. One very windy day, missus said " what about Four Winds? " Seemed apt as it always seems windy and from different directions . So thats it.........Four Winds
14-12-2006, 21:00   #12
Goll Mac Morna

Quote:
Originally Posted by irelandjoe
I am 3/4 the way through a house build and we have no idea what to call the house.
House is in Nenagh, Co. Tipperary with fantastic views of keeper hill and the silvermines, we are also in eye shot of river.

We really are stuck and any sensible suggestions would be appreciated? I was thinking somthing in Irish might be cool but open to any ideas?

Thanks
What about Radharc na Sleibhe (mountain view)
or Radharc na habhainn (river view)
Ard na Gaoithe (windy height !!!)

Why not check out the local townland name and try to tie in with that?
or even better ask locally if anyone knows the name of the field your house is build on.
We have always been obsessed with land in Ireland and are probably unique for having names for our individual fields.

hope this helps
Goll
14-12-2006, 21:07   #13
FX Meister

How about Rancho Relaxo?
14-12-2006, 21:17   #14
byte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosperous Dave
Fisrt thing to check would be that if you decided on something like"Hill View", ask the local postman if there's a similar address nearby so your post won't go astray. Then find out exactly which postal area the house is in.

We've recently been told by the local post office that our house isn't where we thought it was When we bought it, the title deeds, estate agent and previous owners all listed it as being in Prosperous Co. Kildare. Now two years later, the local post office in Prosperous has only recently started re-directing our post to Sallins post office for onward and thus delayed delivery to us. When I queried this, the rather abrupt post mistress informed me that my house was 200 metres outside the Prosperous boundary and I was therefore in the Sallins district. Now Prosperous is 1 mile from my house, Sallins is 4 1/2 miles away. I also told her that the title deeds stated the house is in Prosperous and that we had been getting our post delivered using the Prosperous address for the past two years. She said that we shouldn't have and then hung up. Now I'm caught between putting up with a delayed postal service or changing all my bills, car tax, insurance, etc to a new address.
Probably another good reason to have a postcode system.

Back on topic, I think the names from Goll Mac Morna are pretty good.
15-12-2006, 01:11   #15
irelandjoe

Thanks for these This is the type of think I am looking for keep them coming. I love some of the other ones too, but my wife not be impressed with some of them !!!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion