Panhard Cars in Ireland - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-11-2006, 11:48   #1
PanhardPL

Panhard Cars in Ireland

These cars were assembled in Dublin by Cauldwell's in Lucan in the early 1960's,. Anyone like to talk about these as I have some.
Advertisement
02-11-2006, 11:53   #2
mustang68

Wow, interesting, do you have any pics, never heard about these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhard

Sadly I know more about US cars then about cars from Ireland tell us more
02-11-2006, 14:32   #3
NEVCC

Id be very interested in hearing more about your cars. There were a number of cars assembled in Ireland over the years. My dad has a little Renault 4CV that has Deanta in Eireann on the glass, tires and chassis plate.
The first Volkswagen car assembled outside Germany was assembled in Ireland in 1950.
And then we have the infamous shamrock car.
02-11-2006, 14:45   #4
mustang68

Shamrock car?
02-11-2006, 15:25   #5
NEVCC

The Shamrock was started Tralee, Co. Kerry, but the company was moved to Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan. The aim was to produce a large luxury car model for export to the US market. It is a god awful looking thing it had a fiberglass body and a tiny Austin 1.5 litre engine. There is a guy in the club with one.

http://easyreader.hermosawave.net/ne...2/baywatch.asp

Second pic down
Advertisement
02-11-2006, 16:11   #6
Surfer

A friends father has one sitting in his garage. It has been sitting there as long as I can remember. He plans on restoring it when he retires. Not sure of the model but I think it is a 4 door. Hard to see it correctly with all the bikes on it.
Also saw a green one is Foxrock a couple of weeks back.
02-11-2006, 16:19   #7
PanhardPL

Panhards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer
A friends father has one sitting in his garage. It has been sitting there as long as I can remember. He plans on restoring it when he retires. Not sure of the model but I think it is a 4 door. Hard to see it correctly with all the bikes on it.
Also saw a green one is Foxrock a couple of weeks back.

Its quite possible that I am aware of this car especially when you mentioned it being covered with bikes. Yes the one you would have seen in Foxrock is owned by a french guy who has two Panhards. I have some of them and if you would like to see pics just let me know.
02-11-2006, 16:25   #8
PanhardPL

Panhards

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang68
Wow, interesting, do you have any pics, never heard about these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhard

Sadly I know more about US cars then about cars from Ireland tell us more

I do have some Panhards and would be happy to talk about them at any time and have plenty of photos. I can be contacted through MSN Messenger from where I can send photos - cx24@hotmail.com
02-11-2006, 20:19   #9
cormac_byrne
Resigtered User

Send a message via Yahoo to cormac_byrne
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVCC
Id be very interested in hearing more about your cars. There were a number of cars assembled in Ireland over the years. My dad has a little Renault 4CV that has Deanta in Eireann on the glass, tires and chassis plate.
The first Volkswagen car assembled outside Germany was assembled in Ireland in 1950.
And then we have the infamous shamrock car.
I remember when they used to 'make' Renaults in Rosslare, by that I mean take them out of shipping crates and put the wheels on (well maybe a little more).

Basically it was a tax dodge.

Also they put a pint of petrol in each and left the keys in the ignition so they could be driven onto the transporter lorry. The local kids did on occasion climb over the fence to play dodgems, changing cars whenever they ran out of fuel.

And on the subject of made in Ireland cars, they used to build Triumphs on Cashel Rd in Drimnagh. (factory still there, now a pharmacutical company)
Advertisement
02-11-2006, 22:32   #10
ds20prefecture

Hi PanhardPL - yes, I'm interested in talking about your cars. Do you have any pics? A good friend of mine in the US has a 24BT coupe, spectacular car. I have seen only one Panhard in Ireland, a 4 door in lime green parked in around Donnybrook

Personally I'm a Citroen fan, but as I understand the history, Citroen did not do Panhard any favours when they owned them. Ironic that Citroen then suffered and an even more ignominious fate at the hands of peugeot.

Are you aware of any Panhards with Citroen hydraulics?

Here's some pics:
03-11-2006, 08:49   #11
Blue850

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormac_byrne

And on the subject of made in Ireland cars, they used to build Triumphs on Cashel Rd in Drimnagh. (factory still there, now a pharmacutical company)
i've got an irish built MK1 2000, weird thing about it, there isn't a chassis number stamped on it anywhere.
03-11-2006, 09:16   #12
MercMad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue850
i've got an irish built MK1 2000, weird thing about it, there isn't a chassis number stamped on it anywhere.
.........yeah the guiy doing the chassis stamping was out that day !!

I'd love to hear more about ANY Irish built car, so please guys post away !

Thanks DS for the photos of the Panhard, I assumed you folk were talking about early 1920's type cars, I had fogotten about the newer ones until I saw the picture !

I assume the Triumph factory is now Leo Pharma ??
03-11-2006, 09:33   #13
ds20prefecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercMad
I'd love to hear more about ANY Irish built car, so please guys post away !
The largest indigenous car producer in the Republic was Heinkel cars with 6500 cars produced in Dundalk in the 50s.
The Irish government were the owners of the company, and the sole owners of the Heinkel name at that point. the engines were still manufactured in Germany, but the cars were pressed and assembled here. They even designed two additional models before selling the company to Trojan in Slough.

Many cars were assembled in Ireland - Ford in Cork obviously but our import restrictions in the 50s and 60s forced car makers to assemble kits here. Ashley Hurst assembled the Traction Avant and the DS in Dublin, as well as many other cars.
03-11-2006, 09:46   #14
NEVCC

There were a lot of cars assembled in Ireland but not so many Irish produced cars. I used to produce the club news letter and I remember doing a couple of pages on this topic I’ll see if I can dig it out. I think the first car produced in Ireland was the Thomond back in the 1920’s. http://humphrysfamilytree.com/Thomond/index.html

PanhardPL unfortunately I use skype not the MSN. Could you post some picks of your cars I like MercMad assumed it was the early ones.
04-11-2006, 23:02   #15
G Luxel

Brittains built the last Morris Minor in the world in the I970s although Australia stopped building them in I974. There was one Morris Minor Traveller built in the U.K. from new parts in I985. On the subject of Irish built, the Hillman Hunter was built here after production was moved from Coventry in I976.
Then all the machinery was shipped over to Iran in I979 where the car was built until 2005 as the Paykan. Another unique Irish built car was the Wolseley I500 in which the first I50 were fitted with I200 cc A series engines from the Minor and there is no record of this car being sold anywhere else.
I know of a Panhard PL I7 in the Munster area although I dont know if it was assembled in this country or not.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion