Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Soundings Poetry Book

• 24-10-2006 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

Hi there,

A conversation came up among my mates recently about LC english and we got to chatting about the Soundings poetry book. None of us have a copy any more though...

a) interested to hear people's memories of it
    b)does anyone have a 1990's copy about ehy don't want anymore????

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Unfortunately not and if I had it would have things like 'I'd like to shag Miss Teachers name here' and 'I hate Mr. Teachers name here' all over it :D

That said, I wish I did have a clean copy of it. There isn't even one available on ebay! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

hi sinead. did you ever find a copy of that poetry book. I would like to get my hands on a copy, if you ever come across one I bags it when you are finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I have one but I still use it. Sorry. :pac:
    Do they not have it on the curriculum anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

It hasn't been on the curriculum for 3 years at least. They've completely updated the poetry syllabus. While I love the book, there was only one living poet in it, and one woman, when I did my LC in 98 and my dad had the book for his leaving.

I have a copy at home but it's not for sale! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭phaze

I still have my copy from my '96 leaving but unfortunately for the OP I love it too much to part with it. I really enjoy reading back over the familiar poems and trying to read the notes I had scrawled all over the pages. It drove my teacher mad but I doubt many of the people who wrote their notes out in copies can still find them so I think I was right!

Great book

• Advertisement

It sounds a little tight but would anyone with the book be able to scan and email or post online some of the poems???? just asking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Here are the contents pages:

soundings1vl0.th.jpg soundings2mq8.th.jpg soundings3jx6.th.jpg

just google whatever poems you're looking for.

thanks Psy. that brought back some scary memories, some good ones also:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I did my Leaving in 1980 and I had Soundings also. Wish I had kept my copy. I had a look at my own lad's Leaving Cert poetry book-he's doing Leaving next week-and I don't recognise much on the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭sc317

I did my leaving in 02 and I think we were the first year to use the new book (Explorations, which was scrapped the same year because the notes were too good). I do have a copy, that originally belonged to one of cousins and its fairly charmingly tattered and covered in notes. A gem of a book. My girlfriend actually has a copy in fairly mint condition but not selling I'm afraid.

My favourite from the book has to be Prufrock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I still have my copy from the nineties, but like others in this thread, i don'treally wanna part with it. And yes, my notes are all on the pages. In fact, this thread has made me feel that bit better about having it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Here is a link to it if anybody is interested.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/146255691/Soundings.txt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

My copy belonged to the school but I went out and bought a copy a few years after the leaving. Just looking at that contents page brings it all back "Stony Grey Soil of Monaghan" he was a bit of a misery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I still have mine from LC 1999 and I've no intentions of parting with it! My four older siblings all used the same copy, so the notes in it were invaluable!

I think my favourite poem in it was "The Blackbird of Derrycairn", closely followed by "The Planter's Daughter" and "Lines Written..." (but I still loathe Patrick Kavanagh!)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

Thanks so much for this guys. Have been trying to woo a girl for some time now, have been Googling as much of the old 1999 LC poetry as I could remember, but spent a while trying to get my hands on the curriculum book, found this thread, and you've made me a very happy man!

Not so sure I'll continue with the wooing now, may just print out the poetry and have a good read-and-remember for myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ Aaden Nervous Quote

I have a copy but won't be parting with it.
    Did anybody else hear the story that it was first introduced in the 1960's as a temporary stop-gap measure for a year and they never got around to updating it - until the late 1990's that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissRibena

I had to give my copy to my younger sister and she was not as careful (read pernickity) as me and I think it went in the bin. I was heartbroken and got another Chapters. It adds a whole new dimension to the book. I read all this guy's notes and wonder about him and why he tore out some of the pages, which drives me a bit mental.

I was never mad about most of the Irish poetry. They seemed bitter and twisted and full of disillusionment. The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock was (and still is) my favourite poem of all time. Only Sylvia Plath managed to express that level of anxiety as well. I was mad about Gerard Manley Hopkins and Percy Bysshe Shelley too.

Remember the notes at the back? I remember them being as baffling as the actual poems themselves. Can't wait to get home and root out my copy again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I still have my copy after X years, though have not opened it except on the rare occasion. This thread can be used as an excuse to look back in nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I still have mine from LC 1999 and I've no intentions of parting with it! My four older siblings all used the same copy, so the notes in it were invaluable!

I think my favourite poem in it was "The Blackbird of Derrycairn", closely followed by "The Planter's Daughter" and "Lines Written..." (but I still loathe Patrick Kavanagh!)

Wow, that brings back memories.. I did mine in '99, I can still remember the texture of the cover! Does anyone remember any quotes?? The only one I can think of is the poem about the siege of Troy? It had really nice imagery.. Can't remember the name or the poet even though I ate, drank and slept that book......:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Apparently the Soundings Poetry Book is being reprinted and will be on sale this coming October.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/legendary-soundings-poetry-book-back-by-popular-demand-121381.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Interesting that it's being re-released. As most people never read poetry much after they've left the forced stage, I suspect there could be a good market for it. Nostalgia usually sells reasonably well in any case. If they're smart, they'll give it the same cover as the original. And maybe a special limited edition already covered in dodgy wallpaper.

I have a copy but won't be parting with it.
    Did anybody else hear the story that it was first introduced in the 1960's as a temporary stop-gap measure for a year and they never got around to updating it - until the late 1990's that is!
    Ah, that's entirely true. It was introduced as part of the effort to modernise the curriculum in the late 60s, intended to last a short few years before being reviewed. Which took a while... Even the front cover of the book describes itself as an interim anthology.

MissRibena, I'd have had the same favourites as you. Especially Prufrock, which I reference slyly in conversation far more than I should (I'm ageing one day at a time after all). Kinsella as well for the same reason, though the two included aren't necessarily representative of his other work. Oddly enough, Kinsella is the only poet represented that is still alive... and he was also the only poet represented that was alive forty years ago when the book was released - hasn't he done well:)

In its absence, as a nice easy anthology for anyone who wants to dip back in, I'd recommend "The Nation's Favourite Poems", published by the BBC in the mid-90s. Everything in it was selected by a popular vote and while it's a UK book, it has Yeats in it (possibly more Irish poets as well, my copy isn't on the shelf where it usually is so I can't check). There are a few spinoff books too worth a look - favourite modern poems, favourite romantic poems etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Wow, that brings back memories.. I did mine in '99, I can still remember the texture of the cover! Does anyone remember any quotes?? The only one I can think of is the poem about the siege of Troy? It had really nice imagery.. Can't remember the name or the poet even though I ate, drank and slept that book......:confused:

ah yes....

No Second Troy....

Why should I blame her that she filled my days
    With misery, or that she would of late
    Have taught to ignorant men most violent ways,
    Or hurled the little streets upon the great.
    Had they but courage equal to desire?
    What could have made her peaceful with a mind
    That nobleness made simple as a fire,
    With beauty like a tightened bow, a kind
    That is not natural in an age like this,
    Being high and solitary and most stern.
    Why, what could she have done, being what she is?
    Was there another Troy for her to burn?

my favourite {among others }

was iirc the last poem in the book:confused::confused:

was this...

Pigtail

When all the women in the transport
    had their heads shaved
    four workmen with brooms made of birch twigs
    swept up
    and gathered up the hair

Behind clean glass
    the stiff hair lies
    of those suffocated in gas chambers
    there are pins and side combs
    in this hair

The hair is not shot through with light
    is not parted by the breeze
    is not touched by any hand
    or rain or lips

In huge chests
    clouds of dry hair
    of those suffocated
    and a faded plait
    a pigtail with a ribbon
    pulled at school
    by naughty boys.

*still gives me shivers*

sceptre wrote: »
    Interesting that it's being re-released. As most people never read poetry much after they've left the forced stage, I suspect there could be a good market for it. Nostalgia usually sells reasonably well in any case. If they're smart, they'll give it the same cover as the original. And maybe a special limited edition already covered in dodgy wallpaper.

Ah, that's entirely true. It was introduced as part of the effort to modernise the curriculum in the late 60s, intended to last a short few years before being reviewed. Which took a while... Even the front cover of the book describes itself as an interim anthology.

MissRibena, I'd have had the same favourites as you. Especially Prufrock, which I reference slyly in conversation far more than I should (I'm ageing one day at a time after all). Kinsella as well for the same reason, though the two included aren't necessarily representative of his other work. Oddly enough, Kinsella is the only poet represented that is still alive... and he was also the only poet represented that was alive forty years ago when the book was released - hasn't he done well:)

In its absence, as a nice easy anthology for anyone who wants to dip back in, I'd recommend "The Nation's Favourite Poems", published by the BBC in the mid-90s. Everything in it was selected by a popular vote and while it's a UK book, it has Yeats in it (possibly more Irish poets as well, my copy isn't on the shelf where it usually is so I can't check). There are a few spinoff books too worth a look - favourite modern poems, favourite romantic poems etc.

+1

also the nations favourite comic poems..:D

ya can't bate a bit of poetry.

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nolo1

Here is a link to it if anybody is interested.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/14625569...dings.txt.html

I know the link above was posted almost two years ago but it is now dead. I don't have a copy of Soundings so I would love if it could be re-activated.

However, I do have a copy of the Inter Cert poetry book from the 70's & 80's : Exploring English 3. Does anyone remember it? It had a greyish cover with a green linear pattern on it. The short story book in the same set had the same greyish cover but the pattern was in orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kalimah

thebullkf wrote: »
    my favourite {among others }

was iirc the last poem in the book:confused::confused:

was this...

Pigtail

When all the women in the transport
    had their heads shaved
    four workmen with brooms made of birch twigs
    swept up
    and gathered up the hair

Behind clean glass
    the stiff hair lies
    of those suffocated in gas chambers
    there are pins and side combs
    in this hair

The hair is not shot through with light
    is not parted by the breeze
    is not touched by any hand
    or rain or lips

In huge chests
    clouds of dry hair
    of those suffocated
    and a faded plait
    a pigtail with a ribbon
    pulled at school
    by naughty boys.

*still gives me shivers*

I never heard this before. It's amazing. I'll be looking for a copy of Soundings as soon as it's out. Did my LC in 1980!Loved Hopkins and Kavanagh and still do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

there was a trip down memory lane on the Ray Darcy show about Soundings today. I'm off to order my copy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Advertisement