What is your religion and why is it the right one? - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-10-2006, 21:39   #16
scorplett

Quote:
Originally Posted by last_orders
i suppose i could be called agnostic but im not 100% what that term would cover. if anyone could clarify?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism... I know it can be annoying just posting links etc. but Agnostic is a very complex term and can, and is, in proper context and in popular context, used to relate many concepts and modes of thought.
Advertisement
21-10-2006, 21:42   #17
scorplett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillah
Life is too damn short. Well, my life...
Your life is definatley too short to bash every religion, faith or path at every opportuinty you get.
21-10-2006, 23:42   #18
Zillah

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorplett
Your life is definatley too short to bash every religion, faith or path at every opportuinty you get.
Attack the post, not the poster. I criticise beliefs that I feel are unfounded or irrational. Some (myself included) would argue that life is too short for self-dellusion and fantasy. If you'd like to actually address my points that'd be cool. Or I could just start insulting you if thats what you're after

The original post in this thread clearly sets it out as a discussion where different beliefs clash, what exactly were you expecting?

Last edited by Zillah; 22-10-2006 at 08:51.
22-10-2006, 00:45   #19
Nevyn
Closed Account

Yes where differing beliefs clash or over lap not the questioning of all of them point blankly to be self-dellusion and fantasy this thread and this forum is not set up for you to intergogate people when they are kind enough to share what thier beliefs are.

The spirituality is not the place to push your atheist agenda Zillah.
DaveMcG already requested at the start of the thread And keep it civil -- no eye gouging or fish-hooking!

The charter clearly states
Quote:
Respect for other people's beliefs and religion is expected at all times, you can disagree with someone or probe into their beliefs without being aggressive or belittling. Such behavior will not be tolerated and may result in being banned.
Consider yourself warned Zillah and stop thread spoiling and putting people off posting.
22-10-2006, 00:51   #20
Zillah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaedydal
DaveMcG already requested at the start of the thread And keep it civil -- no eye gouging or fish-hooking!
I'm not the one making off topic personal comments.

Quote:
The spirituality is not the place to push your atheist agenda Zillah.
Oh. So some one can push Christianity or Wicca in this discussion but Atheism isn't allowed? Hypocrisy much?

I'm out.
Advertisement
22-10-2006, 01:33   #21
Nevyn
Closed Account

Well then use the report post button.
This thread is not about pushing anything and wicca or any form of paganism has yet to be mentioned.
22-10-2006, 01:50   #22
Dave!

Well my intention WAS about pushing different religions and belief systems! The idea is that if everyone pushes their own belief, inconsistencies and lies will inevitably emerge, and in the end we'll come out with a winner!

Maybe this forum wasn't appropriate for posting the thread... I mean I know that you (Thaedydal) don't want people getting offended in general in the forum, but surely this could be a bit different, and we could even put in a disclaimer in the title, so that people know that they won't be getting an easy ride!
22-10-2006, 01:55   #23
Nevyn
Closed Account

I think it is great to get people sharing and to compare and contrast esp when it comes to the abramahaic relgions but I won't let people be needled or belittled.
22-10-2006, 03:00   #24
Yechidah

I'm a Gnostic and am so because I uphold the main precepts that tend to define Gnosticism (particularly the persuit and acquiral of Gnosis, which is experiential knowledge of the Divine), a religion which answers all of the things that orthodox Christianity doesn't for me. Its liberal approach, including the recognition of the Divine Feminine, as well as the Gnostic Church's allowance of the ordination of women, no oath on celibacy, priests can marry, etc., not to mention non-descrimination on race or sexual orientation, makes them the most fitting for my own personal beliefs and why I am in the process of Formation to being ordained as a Gnostic priest, and can then, hopefully, bring an alternative to Catholicism or Paganism to the Irish people.

LLLSHJ,
Yechidah.
Advertisement
22-10-2006, 03:36   #25
Scofflaw
Category Moderator

I'm an alatrist, a neologism I had to coin to describe my position. I accept there may be gods, but will not worship them (alatrist=non-worshipper).

Functionally - I'm an atheist, at least in a Christian or Muslim country, since I definitely don't believe in Jehovah or Allah as per their descriptions.

Philosphically - I don't exclude the possibility of other gods/spirits/etc, which makes me agnostic, with a slight bias towards belief rather than disbelief. I do know a couple of people who have personally met gods (in the form of oracles), and they are people I consider reliable.

Spiritually - while I admit there may be gods, I am emotionally incapable (AFAIK) of bending the knee to any of them, except perhaps under directly delivered explicit personal threat of annihilation. I can entirely understand the joy of submission, both in Islam and Christianity, but I'm afraid it's not for me, thanks.

cordially,
Scofflaw
22-10-2006, 13:18   #26
Asiaprod
Why is Bellybutton Fluff always Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaedydal
I think it is great to get people sharing and to compare and contrast esp when it comes to the abramahaic relgions but I won't let people be needled or belittled.
Seconded, tis a great idea. Its good to see folks of different paths openly talking, and not just pushing agendas. My thanks to the Mods of this forum for letting it happen, and to the OP for a very smart idea.
22-10-2006, 13:24   #27
Asiaprod
Why is Bellybutton Fluff always Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yechidah
I'm a Gnostic and am so because I uphold the main precepts that tend to define Gnosticism (particularly the persuit and acquiral of Gnosis, which is experiential knowledge of the Divine), a religion which answers all of the things that orthodox Christianity doesn't for me.
Wow, I have always wanted to meet a Gnostic, I am thrilled. When I left Christianity and be came a Buddhist, I carried certain pangs of leaving the religon with me. It was not till I took an interest in Gnosticism that I could finally cut those final bonds.
22-10-2006, 14:02   #28
Nevyn
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scofflaw
I'm an alatrist, a neologism I had to coin to describe my position. I accept there may be gods, but will not worship them (alatrist=non-worshipper).

Spiritually - while I admit there may be gods, I am emotionally incapable (AFAIK) of bending the knee to any of them, except perhaps under directly delivered explicit personal threat of annihilation. I can entirely understand the joy of submission, both in Islam and Christianity, but I'm afraid it's not for me, thanks.
It is not for me either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett
Most witches don't believe in gods.
They know that the gods exist, of course.
They even deal with them occassionally.
But they don't believe in them.
They know them too well.
It would be like believing in the postman.
There are things that I do for my Gods that have to do with love and honouring them or as I have argued and struck a deal with them,
but none of them are to debasing myself to them.
I will doing things in the service of my gods but not out of servitude.

The surrending things onto the gods to sort or fix I never got either,
I believe that as a human if I have a human problem it is for me to fix and that I have the skills or wherewithal to sort it out or hopefully the wisdom to ask for help when it is needed. But I am stuborn and sometimes it takes a kick in the pants or a slap to the back of the head and that my Gods seem to have in no short supply.

I beleive in reincarnation and I try to live my life as aware as I can and to live deliberatly and conciously make choices in my life and to be responsible for my actions and reactions.

I try to be green and recycle and limit my impact on the earth where I can,
nature and the change of seasons is importnat to me and noting and celebrating the changes as they happen ( turning the wheel of the year ).

My beliefs and my path are what works for me in my life, what fills me up and works in harmony with what I know, what I feel and what I have experienced.
I don't expect anyone to completely understand as they are not me.
22-10-2006, 18:55   #29
18AD

Send a message via MSN to 18AD
I'm yet to find a religion that describes my life experience accurately. The best I can do is mix and match and modify to suit my own needs.
As a result I only dabble in various practices and never delve deeply into one single practice.
I like to hold different views on things a la R.A.W. Sticking to one outlook tends to lead to linear thinking for me.

Currently practicing Chaos Magic whenever I have the time.

General intrigue: Taoism, Buddhism, Zen Buddhism, Psychology, Discordianism, Science, Psychedelia, Mythology, Arts...

Intending to incorporate shamanism when I get the chance.

This life style keeps me happy and on my toes. I honestly don't know what's going on in this place but I have my assumptions. I'm probably way off the mark anyway
22-10-2006, 19:12   #30
Nevyn
Closed Account

What aspects of shamanism ?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size