Core 2 duo or wait for Core 2 Quad? what would you do? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-09-2006, 19:09   #1
godskitchen

Core 2 duo or wait for Core 2 Quad? what would you do?

Ok guys, im after some advice, i have been looking at a new system for some time now, i had made up my mind to order it tomorrow and then hear the news that Intel plan to have Core 2 Quad in the shops Q1 2007.

the system i had in mind is (from komplett.ie, they seem very fast to answer questions, how do you all rate them for price and service?)

Komplett shoppng list

What do you all think of the system and do you think the graphics card is OTT, i do plan to run games and HD-DVD/Blu ray and have a HDTV sat card running on the PC, i also do a lot of work with photoshop.

I am also planning to get this monitor when it comes out
BenQ FP241W 24in Widescreen Monitor

Thanks in advance guys!
Advertisement
27-09-2006, 19:14   #2
JDxtra

You can end up never buying anything if you wait and wait for the latest...

Q1 2007 could mean next April by the time you get your hands on it.
27-09-2006, 19:32   #3
PogMoThoin
Closed Account

Quad core gonna be mad expensive. Games don't fully utilise dual core yet (except for quake4), be ages before they use 4 cores.
27-09-2006, 19:42   #4
godskitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdempsey
You can end up never buying anything if you wait and wait for the latest...

Q1 2007 could mean next April by the time you get your hands on it.
I could not agree more with your first point, its just i was close to getting a P4 system before the core duo cam on the market, i would have been gutted as the core 2 duo was so much better, dont ant the same thing to happen with the quad's. i know i will have to jump at some point though!
27-09-2006, 19:53   #5
Mr.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by godskitchen
Ok guys, im after some advice, i have been looking at a new system for some time now, i had made up my mind to order it tomorrow and then hear the news that Intel plan to have Core 2 Quad in the shops Q1 2007.

the system i had in mind is (from komplett.ie, they seem very fast to answer questions, how do you all rate them for price and service?)

Komplett shoppng list

What do you all think of the system and do you think the graphics card is OTT, i do plan to run games and HD-DVD/Blu ray and have a HDTV sat card running on the PC, i also do a lot of work with photoshop.

I am also planning to get this monitor when it comes out
BenQ FP241W 24in Widescreen Monitor

Thanks in advance guys!
Quad Cores will be very expensive... i think its like 70% more then Core 2 duos... and so far only a small % of apps/games use the quads, so stick the the Komplett build.

The graphics card...452€ i suppose is alot.. but DX10 is coming out.. so might just want to get a X1900XT 512mb for 120€ cheaper and put that towards somehing like another gb of ram.

overall, that pc will kick ass and last a good few years
Advertisement
27-09-2006, 20:02   #6
godskitchen

I thke it DX10 is short for direct x 10? the pont you made there, would it be pointless getting the more costly card? or will none of the cards support dx10?
27-09-2006, 20:04   #7
DemonOfTheFall

Core Quadro is pointless unless you do something that takes full advantage of it. EG. hardcore video encoding.
27-09-2006, 20:09   #8
PogMoThoin
Closed Account

Yep, only a dx10 card will support directx 10, but the dx10 card will be backwards compatible with dx9 & a dx9 card will run a dx10 game but at lower settings. Dx10 will only run with vista.
I'm playing the waiting game here myself.
27-09-2006, 20:09   #9
Mr.S

Yeah DX10 = Direct X 10.. as for as i know, they will support DX10, but new cards are coming out in the next few months, that are DX10 made. the above card is a DX9. However it would be pritty stupid to buy a dx10 card straight of, wait 6months at least.

Its not pointless to get that card, it will preform anything atm at everything high etc, so if you have the cash, go for it¬!
Advertisement
27-09-2006, 20:38   #10
8T8

Direct X 10 cards are backwards compatible with Direct X 9 but DX9 cards will only be able to run games that have a DX9 code path in them just to point that out so if someone makes a DX10 only game, only a DX10 card will run it (such games will be few and far between though).

(That said some future games will be Vista only even if they have a DX9 and DX10 path)

There is a reason to wait for a DX10 card as they will simply be faster DX9 cards due to the enchantments in the architecture so even if you never touch a DX10 game or use Vista they will still be worth it.

NVIDIA will be launching the GeForce 8 series in November/December whether its worth waiting is a tricky one given the proximity, ATI are not due till next year to launch their DX10 card.

As for HD-DVD/Blu-ray you can playback such titles as long as you meet certain criteria;
*Over DVI or HDMI - GPU must support HDCP (the X1900XTX you have selected does not)

*Over VGA - HDCP support not required but you run the risk of coming afoul of the image contrast token should the studios ever invoke it (forces the disc to run at a lower resolution)

*Under XP you need a dedicated player that supports HD-DVD or Blu-ray, Cyberlink and Intervideo are the only game in town here at the moment.

*Under Vista all you need is a codec WMP and MCE both support the framework for HD-DVD so all you need is a H.264 codec it comes with VC-1 and MPEG-2 out of the box or so I've read.

*Blu-ray in Vista will still require a player but it should seamlessly work in WMP or Vista MCE.

The Quad Core 2's are very impressive but will be super expensive.

If you want a high end ATI card and HDCP compliant through DVI then you need to get the ATI X1950XTX card.

Last edited by 8T8; 27-09-2006 at 20:49.
27-09-2006, 20:58   #11
PogMoThoin
Closed Account

Feck quad core, i'm waiting for 16 cores for my next upgrade
27-09-2006, 21:13   #12
Mr.S

lol

this will be my last major PC Upgrade before turning to laptops
27-09-2006, 23:39   #13
godskitchen

8T8
Thanks, good lot of info there!
I did choose the Radeon X1950XTX partly because of HDCP, its also got good reviews. it was someone else that said the X1900XTX, for a good reason i might add, but i had pretty much made up my mind after a lot of research.

#Elites
Why will you be turning to laptops might i ask?

One more thing, how are komplett on price? from what u can find they seem pretty good!
27-09-2006, 23:49   #14
8T8

Quote:
Originally Posted by godskitchen
8T8
Thanks, good lot of info there!
I did choose the Radeon X1950XTX partly because of HDCP, its also got good reviews. it was someone else that said the X1900XTX, for a good reason i might add, but i had pretty much made up my mind after a lot of research.

#Elites
Why will you be turning to laptops might i ask?

One more thing, how are komplett on price? from what u can find they seem pretty good!
My mistake there I swore I thought in your shopping list the 1900XTX was originally selected, darn NEC display is so bright it's burning my eyes out

Komplett are usually pretty good on price, Pixmania arent half bad either for some things.
28-09-2006, 23:35   #15
godskitchen

Now thinking i will wait for Quad core.....................

Have a look at this

Water in real life does not look this real! this clip is amazing!

http://www.gamescheatcodes.co.uk/Mov...elquadcore.htm

Water in real life does not look this real! this clip is amazing!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion