Supplements - Page 114 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-01-2010, 18:59   #1696
Doug Cartel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRandom View Post
Hi has anyone here heard of acai? I've been hearing loads lately and read some material about UFC fighters taking it etc etc jus I seen some irish crowd nadur products are doing it now but what I was wondering was is there any point in taking it? like they talk it up but is it actually any good? Thanks in advance
It's a fruit, and I'm sure it's very healthy, but the quick-fix miracle cure crowd seem to have latched on to it as their new wonder product.

Try it out, but don't go spending a fortune on it, and don't neglect to get a proper varied diet with plenty of other fruit and vegetables.
Advertisement
19-01-2010, 19:09   #1697
djk1000
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRandom View Post
Hi has anyone here heard of acai? I've been hearing loads lately and read some material about UFC fighters taking it etc etc jus I seen some irish crowd nadur products are doing it now but what I was wondering was is there any point in taking it? like they talk it up but is it actually any good? Thanks in advance
This is from Wikipedia,

Quote:
As a dietary supplement

Recently, the açaí berry has been marketed as a dietary supplement. Companies sell açaí berry products in the form of tablets, juice, smoothies, instant drink powders, and whole fruit.

Marketers of these products, such as Monarch Health Sciences, parent company of MonaVie, make claims that açaí provides increased energy levels, improved sexual performance, improved digestion, detoxification, high fiber content, improved skin appearance, improved heart health, improved sleep, and reduction of cholesterol levels. Quackwatch noted that "açai juice has only middling levels of antioxidants—less than that of Concord grape, blueberry, and black cherry juices, but more than cranberry, orange, and apple juices." Furthermore, the extent to which antioxidants by themselves promote health is a matter of some debate. No credible evidence suggests antioxidants promote weight loss.[6] According to the Washington, D.C. based Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) thousands of consumers have had trouble stopping recurrent charges on their credit cards when they cancel free trials of açai-based products.[7][8] Even web sites purporting to warn about açai-related scams are themselves perpetrating scams.[6] Apparently false claims include reversal of diabetes and other chronic illnesses, as well as expanding size of the penis and increasing men's sexual virility and sexual attractiveness to women.[9]

As of March 2009, there are no scientifically controlled studies backing up any of these claims. According to ABC News correspondent Susan Donaldson, these products have not been evaluated (in the United States) by the FDA, and their efficacy is questionable.[10] In late 2008, lawyers for The Oprah Winfrey Show began investigating alleged statements from supplement manufacturers who suggested that frequent Oprah guest Dr. Mehmet Oz had recommended their product or açai in general for weight loss.
19-01-2010, 19:53   #1698
newby.204

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloc View Post
You're taking 300g of Nutrisport a day?!

Step one before you look at anything else is getting your diet in shape; getting that much protein from whey is just excessive.
its only three shakes, i have four meals a day along with that it say two scoops per shake so thats what i do
19-01-2010, 20:03   #1699
itsallaboutheL
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by newby.204 View Post
its only three shakes, i have four meals a day along with that it say two scoops per shake so thats what i do
Thats is an atrocious waste of money imo.
19-01-2010, 20:19   #1700
mloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallaboutheL View Post
It's a hilariously unneccesary amount of protein. 6 50g scoops? That's over 2kg a week!

I can't see any realistic situation where a normal person would need even a third of that.
Advertisement
19-01-2010, 20:32   #1701
newby.204

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallaboutheL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mloc
It's a hilariously unneccesary amount of protein. 6 50g scoops? That's over 2kg a week!

I can't see any realistic situation where a normal person would need even a third of that.
i weigh 97kg(thats 213lbs) 2g of protein per pond of body weight is 426g. The shakes gives me 270g, and the four meals make up the difference, now i have no problem with criticism and im all for getting the most out of my diet/supps so if im off with my maths or 2g per pound is unneccessary then ill change my regimen
19-01-2010, 21:06   #1702
cardio,shoot me

its supposed to be 2g of protein per kilo of bw iirc or 1g per lb of bodyweight.
Thanks from:
19-01-2010, 21:27   #1703
keezer

Whats the discount code for my protien, new to supplements and going ordering some whey protien. Any suggestions to which is the best
19-01-2010, 21:34   #1704
The Guvnor

2g per lb is common amongst bodybuilders some even go for more.

I'm looking to get back to increasing my protein intake and tbh getting a 100g extra per day from shakes will be very helpful.

I'm only aiming for about 1.5g per lb at the start so about 400-420g. Not a chance in hell of that from food.

I will say that at 300g per day you are up there on the shakes, not many would take much more than this IME.
Advertisement
19-01-2010, 21:44   #1705
itsallaboutheL
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guvnor View Post
2g per lb is common amongst bodybuilders some even go for more.
So's 200 kilo benches and a rake of test
(2) thanks from:
19-01-2010, 21:49   #1706
Hanley
Because Hanley Heals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keezer View Post
Whats the discount code for my protien, new to supplements and going ordering some whey protien. Any suggestions to which is the best
See below!!

Their True Whey is really good. Banana Creme's gorgeous.

This stuff - http://www.myprotein.co.uk/mp-max/pr...ue-whey-(5lb)/
19-01-2010, 23:37   #1707
JohnnyRandom

Thanks doug and djk. I got similar answers on another thread seems like nobody knows 100% reckon if I do try it I'll jus get some of the organic acai and see how that goes if I do i'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again
19-01-2010, 23:55   #1708
Inspector Coptoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by keezer View Post

loads of codes knocking about in peoples signatures.
just types them in and away you go.

The true whey protein savage, I just got choc mint, banana creme and cookies and creaam and they all taste great, even when just mixed with water.
I nearly always mix mine with low fat milk to disguise the synthetic taste, no need to do this with MP products.

I am now completely converted.

also, the beef jerky is gorgeous and has 24g of protein per 50g
The MP flapjacks are nice too.
Thanks from:
20-01-2010, 11:06   #1709
max10

ON 100% WHEY

Hi, I'm looking to purchase ON 100% Whey and also Gaspari Size on any suggestions?
Thanks.
20-01-2010, 11:53   #1710
Frank Spencer

So can anyone tell me the equivalent of Maximuscle Progain extreme on myprotein.co.uk??

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion