Owning a pistol in Ireland - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-08-2006, 21:05   #1
Shigsy

Owning a pistol in Ireland

I was always under the impression that hand guns were illegal in Ireland with no exceptions! From reading some of these threads, it sounds like theres a lot of people here that own hand guns such as the Glock.
So, could someone explain to me who qualifys to leaglly own a hand gun, how you go about buying one, and where you can go (firing range) in dublin to use it?
So this is a request for a nice step-by-step guide that would bring me from not owning a gun or licence, to the stage where im standing in a firing range in Dublin with a legally held pistol.
Thanks.

Last edited by Shigsy; 25-08-2006 at 21:26.
Advertisement
25-08-2006, 21:27   #2
Peter_HMR

em this is a bit of a quick answer

pistol licences are hard to obtain as a first gun licence (most people have licenced shotguns rifels first)

big security requirements as in safe and monitered alarm

depends on your super not being a prick

only granted for target shootin not hunting or self defence so requires range membership

will cost a good bit as in i havent actaully looked into prices so im guessing from what i can remember others saying

gun €700
monitered alarm €800
safe €50
membership €300
licence fees and import papers and the likes €80

Will take a bit of reading up and preparation and depending on your super and dealer or importer (whatever route you take) could take anywhere between 1-8 months some have been more i think

Its a serious sport/hobbie to be taking up and costly not something for any old joe shmoe to take up however thats not to say there isnt easier ways to get into shooting. I dont want to be discouraging people from joining the sport maybe a trip to a range to see if its the thing for you!

Last edited by Peter_HMR; 26-08-2006 at 07:27.
25-08-2006, 22:52   #3
Shigsy

Exactly the kind of reply i wanted, just a nice overview of the route
Is it possible to go to a range with no licence or previous firearms experience, and use a pistol? If so, where are the nearest ranges to south Dublin?
26-08-2006, 00:31   #4
Rovi
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigsy
Exactly the kind of reply i wanted, just a nice overview of the route
Is it possible to go to a range with no licence or previous firearms experience, and use a pistol? If so, where are the nearest ranges to south Dublin?
As far as I know, Hilltop Quad (see other thread!) is the only place in the Republic where you can rent a pistol.
I don't know what the procedure is for an unknown stranger, as my introduction there was attending a pistol safety course, so I was something of a known quantity when I rented the guns.

In my opinion, doing a basic pistol safety course would be an excellent way of 'having a go' at handguns, with the added benefit of having a safety qualification to show the Super come the day you apply for a licence.

Both Hilltop and Midland run courses pretty regularly, but I don't know for sure if the Midland ones are open to the public or restricted to club members. Does anyone else know for certain?

26-08-2006, 07:40   #5
Peter_HMR

I shot pistol at hilltop the time i was up there but i was with a well known member. Best thing maybe to do is give them a call someone can provide you with the number.

Theres also
Clay shooting (shotgun)
Rifle benchrest (.22lr)

I dont know much about what other disiplines go on
Advertisement
26-08-2006, 11:51   #6
Shigsy

Great, thanks for all the info
Do you know how much the pistol course is in Hilltop by any chance? Would be somthing i'd like to do, and as you said, would benifit me if i ever decide to get into the sport at a later time.
26-08-2006, 12:11   #7
Rovi
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigsy
Great, thanks for all the info
Do you know how much the pistol course is in Hilltop by any chance? Would be somthing i'd like to do, and as you said, would benifit me if i ever decide to get into the sport at a later time.
Back last February it was €100.

26-08-2006, 16:18   #8
Sparks
Category Moderator

I do wish people wouldn't immediately recommend 9mm pistols when people indicate they'd like to shoot pistols Seriously, what is it that makes people think they have nothing to learn from air pistol or that it's not the best place to start pistol shooting? 250 to 300 euro gets you an olympic-level pistol and a fiver gets you a tin of good pellets and away you go, and you learn the fundamentals of how to handle a pistol safely and pretty much everything you'll ever learn about aiming them from that.

This tunnel vision on fullbores is rather odd really.
26-08-2006, 16:20   #9
Riggser

€100 for a pistol course!? At Hilltop? Was it just a safety course?
Advertisement
26-08-2006, 20:32   #10
Peter_HMR

yeah @sparks maybe not an air but .22 at least it really helped me when i was starting off. I'm not to familiar with pistol ballisitics but i would have thought a .22 more accurate than a 9mm
26-08-2006, 20:45   #11
maglite

i will get a smaller group with a .22 measured in mm try to fit a 9mm in to a bugsplat .22 its hard
26-08-2006, 21:43   #12
CLADA

Check this out for a pistol safety course!!! NOT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP6UvNgbqIA
27-08-2006, 10:44   #13
demonloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks
I do wish people wouldn't immediately recommend 9mm pistols when people indicate they'd like to shoot pistols Seriously, what is it that makes people think they have nothing to learn from air pistol or that it's not the best place to start pistol shooting? 250 to 300 euro gets you an olympic-level pistol and a fiver gets you a tin of good pellets and away you go, and you learn the fundamentals of how to handle a pistol safely and pretty much everything you'll ever learn about aiming them from that.

This tunnel vision on fullbores is rather odd really.
I have a feeling, and of course I could be wrong , that the guys asking these questions just seem to find out that pistols are legal again in Ireland and the romantic notion of being able to fire a Glock like Bruce Willis in Die Hard makes them go all weak at the knees.

I can only speak for myself but as a shooter I think its hard to see the difference between someone wanting to get into pistol shooting as a sport and someone who wants a trophy 9mm pistol, so God only knows how Pat Gardai can fugure it. Hopefully the costs will put off 90% of them.

I have yet to see a thread on here entitled, 'how can I get an air pistol' or 'explain the licensing system for a .22 pistol' I fear it will take a Hollywood blockbuster with Sparks saving the world with his match air pistol before we see one of those.
27-08-2006, 17:56   #14
Clare gunner
Banned

Quote:
I have yet to see a thread on here entitled, 'how can I get an air pistol' or 'explain the licensing system for a .22 pistol' I fear it will take a Hollywood blockbuster with Sparks saving the world with his match air pistol before we see one of those.

While on a good point there Demon,I think the air pistol thing is not paid much attention,because[1] Most folks experiance of them would possibly be from the UK where they are considerd toys at best or nusiances at worst.

[2] On the continent air pistol and rifle is and has been a liscense free way of getting into shooting, with little or no cost,where nearly every town,hamlet and village has a shooting club,in the local hall,pub or whatever.Here,that has never existed.

[3] Hassle factor,If you are going to own a liscenseable firearm why bother going to all the hassle of owning a "toy" when you can own the "real thing"???
It is the same reason that the crossbows pretty much died out in Ireland,why have an expensive PITA toy when for the same price you could have a proper 22 rifle with appx 500 rnds of ammo as an equivlant buy?
Despite that there are folks out there who shoot match crossbows and air pistols that cost more than three glocks put together.

Unless air weapons came off ticket alltogether [two chances of that] INMO,threads like this will always appear.Then trouble is you are then giving the muppetts and heads out there a much more dangerous weapon than what they had before to create more mischeif.Catch 22 situation.
27-08-2006, 23:44   #15
Vegeta

i want a pistol for humane dispatch but the hoops to jump through are a joke.

i would more than likely be forced to join a club and beef up security.

yeah cos my house is safe enough for 4 rifles and 3 shotguns but not a hand gun

sparks if i was learning to shoot for competition i would definitely buy an air pistol and go that route. Much cheaper option

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion