Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

15-08-2006, 10:16   #1
Lexie

Permanent Hair Straightening

Hi,

I have looked back on previous threads about permanent hair straightening but still havent found an answer.

Does anyone know any hair salons in Dublin that do permanent hair straightening. Think its called ionic hair straightening, thermal re-conditioning or Yuko system. Basically I think the Japs invented it and it doesnt wreck your hair. Also if anyone has had it done, whats your opinion?

Thanx!
Advertisement
15-08-2006, 10:35   #2
panda100

its the yuko system you want done. As far as I am aware know salons do this in Ireland. I think its about 200 pounds to get it done in london though
15-08-2006, 17:29   #3
Doomspell

Send a message via MSN to Doomspell
A freind of mine got it done over in England a little while ago, not sure where(I'll ask). It looks quite good. It cost about 200 ya.
I'll get back to you about where she got it done.
15-08-2006, 18:20   #4
abetarrush
Banned

Thats mad

how can they make it permanent? wouldnt they have to change your follicles to do that?
15-08-2006, 19:16   #5
Scraggs

Well its permanent til it grows out

Its the Japenese Yuko treatment you're talking about, its readily available in the UK but afaik not many [if any even] places in Ireland offer it. Its very expensive and can take up to 6 hrs to do.
Now for the science bit ...
They use chemicals to break the hair's protein bonds then they reshape the bonds by straightening the hair with a hairstraightener then make it permanent by using another chemical. It makes hair look poker straight and super silky soft . I'm not sure how damaging it is to hair though but I'd imagine its fairly harsh. AFAIK it can't be used on highlighted hair.
It needs to be touched up every few months [your curly/wavy roots]

I remember reading in a mag that all the Irish clotheshorse set head over to London to get it done regularly.
Advertisement
15-08-2006, 21:11   #6
Lexie

Thanks all.

Maybe eventually it will catch on over here.
03-09-2007, 12:23   #7
neady

Lexie, did you ever find any salon in Ireland that does this?
03-09-2007, 15:12   #8
Faerie

I've seen salons advertise permanent hair straightening. I even rang one to ask if they could give me a rough price estimate, but they absolutely refused to give me any idea of a price without a consultation - not a good sign!Take a look in the yellow pages.
I'd love to get opinions from someone who has actually had it done rather than just reading about it in magazines which are probably paid to endorse it. The regrowth would be weird looking I'd imagine so I'd say it would be fairly high maintenance - I'd love to know how long you could get away without a retouch.
04-09-2007, 12:05   #9
panda100

seriously just go over to London and get it done.It would be cheaper in the long run.I got mine done last summer and this summer in the compton hair salon in Covent garden. It really is the best thing ever.
Advertisement
04-09-2007, 21:36   #10
Tingo

Robert Chambers on Liffey Street does it.

They don't have a price up though; you have to go in for a consultation to get a price. They told me I couldn't get it done 'cause I have highlights and it would be terrible for my hair. So I guess it's pretty bad for your hair.

Maybe stick with a straighter. I mean when it grows out (hair grows about an inch every 2 months, right?) the roots are going to be curly, so you'll still have to use a straightner anyway.

My cousin's friend got it done. I think she found it grand but the regrowth was a pain. It apparently looked strange with curly roots and the rest of the hair straight and she ended up just curling her hair to make it look decent. I never saw it though or spoke to her so, I can't really comment.
Thanks from:
11-09-2007, 13:00   #11
086red

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda100
seriously just go over to London and get it done.It would be cheaper in the long run.I got mine done last summer and this summer in the compton hair salon in Covent garden. It really is the best thing ever.

hi there, hope you dont mind me asking how much was the expereience and what kind of condition your hair is in. mind has been permanently coloured for the last 10years so think that rules me out, sadly..
11-09-2007, 14:54   #12
panda100

Quote:
Originally Posted by 086red
hi there, hope you dont mind me asking how much was the expereience and what kind of condition your hair is in. mind has been permanently coloured for the last 10years so think that rules me out, sadly..
My hair is in excellent condition and Ive had yuko done twice now. I havent had to use straightners in two years and It realy is straightners that do the most damage to your hair.
The yuko sytem actually protects your hair and makes it look really shiny and lovely. They put a conditioner on it before hand which gives it a lovely shine.
My hair is just passed shoulder length and it cost 200 pounds sterling.I swim a lot and I was sick of having to struggle with the hair dryer and straightners every day so to me it was well worth the money.
16-09-2007, 21:27   #13
spinandscribble

Send a message via MSN to spinandscribble
barrys in galway do it.
06-12-2009, 14:08   #14
CiaraODonnell

Hi,

I'm wondering if there has been any development in finding good proffessional salons in Ireland who will do the Japenese Yuko treatment ?

I would be willing to travel to London to have it done. My problem is my fringe is completely singed (long story) and I just need the fringe treated and not the rest. I have no problem just having a straight fringe and semi curly hair at the back.. Do you think they can do the treatment on one part of the hair?

Any advice would be very helpful. I'm going travelling at the end of January to Thailand and don't want the hassle of bringing straighteners or blowdryers with me
06-12-2009, 14:35   #15
jenny2hat

Yeah I've heard about this and was all set to get it done til I heard about the price. I went into Brown Sugar and asked about the price and they said 300+ depending on the length of your hair and the only stylist they had that could do it moved to another salon in Blanchardstown.
Still, when I can afford it, I'll probably get it done.
You can buy a home kit in boots for about €20, but it's better to get it done professionally cause the pH of the chemicals needs to be adjusted according to suit your hair. Otherwise it can fry it
Thread Closed