Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insomnia?/Tips for good sleep

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I got sleeping tablets from the doctor, and they have no effect on me whatsoever!!
    If i take one, i get about 4 hours sleep from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I noticed in the original post that the OP says not to excercise 6 hours before bed, I think this affects me as I could be training until 10 some nights and my legs are too sore and I can't relax. Sometimes aswell I feel like if I am not asleep by 3 that I will waste the rest of the following day so I stay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

I'm just recently back to the land of insomnia after a lovely few weeks of normal sleep, which felt amazing. I've basically been a major insomniac since I was a kid and the only two bouts of normality I've had in the last two years have been down to the rule of keeping regular sleeping routines. This one I've just lost really upsets me and I blame being in a strange place with irregular routines for Christmas. Totally gonna try to get back to routine next week. I love being awake when others are asleep but having a normal sleep pattern was actually really good for me this time, enough that I miss it deeply.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

I gave up coffee, tea and alcohol in my early twenties for almost 3 years and i slept directly beneath a velux window, my sleep was amazing looking back on it. I remember for a period of a year and a half where i was doing a bit of weights and running, taking a good bit of protein shake ( whickh must have had something that helped my sleep in it?) and 1- 2 litres of milk a day, mental state was the best i remember it being, and I used to nod off in a heartbeat then wake up with the day light. Great time of my life. Good sleep= happiness for me.
    Its amazing how a few minor stresses such as i have now have faded that feeling to a distant memory. I must knock my coffee and tea lust on the head again see if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭The Belcher

My insomnia at the moment is the worst it has ever been in my life so far. I work from 4.30pm to 2.15am every day Mon to Thurs. I used to go to bed at 4am and listen to newstalk on the radio until 5am, generally be asleep by 6.30am ish (give or take either way) and then proceed to wake every 20mins without fail until I got up(usually at 2pm or before).

Now I am still wide awake with zero sleep until 8 or 9am every morning. I wake every 15mins without fail, and when I do nod off I would say I am never fully asleep at any stage throughout the night. I cannot get out of bed any day until an hour before work and I feel sick, wrecked, depressed, irritable and generally a complete prick to be around for the first 3hours at work.

I have tried sleeping tablets over the years which were a waste to me. I even took 3times the dose and made zero difference. I wasn't too keen on going down the drugs route anyway so stopped that. I also felt like my doctor didn't give a **** in the first place and wasn't interested or made any effort whatsoever to even comprehend how I felt every day. I have tried all the health shop stuff including noctura, rescue remedy, lavendar oil...blah de blah.

I am taking driving lessons at the minute which are generally around 10am and 11am every week. This sounds like a normal time for most people but for me it's the equivalent of 5am in the morning. I literally am lucky to have gotten an hour and a half of broken sleep on those days before getting up.

It's hard to see any way out of it at all, I have done the staying up 33hours route a few times to see if I could kickstart a new routine, nope, yet again a waste of time. What can you do? I suppose maybe moving to a day shift might improve things a bit after a few weeks, but I worked one years ago and was an insomniac then too. A pain in the arse so it is....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I just found this thread. I suffer from serious insomnia. I can be awake for days sometimes.

I think about things too much and worry too much.

Once I do fall asleep I find it very hard to get up.

I drink a lot of tea which I know can't be helping it, but I'm just so used to it that I hate being without a cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭undergroundvibe

has anyone tried hynosis to help with insomnia?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

yeah i have, it worked too. Went to ailish mcgrath in dundrum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭undergroundvibe

yeah i have, it worked too. Went to ailish mcgrath in dundrum

i was on that irish hynosis website and was considering giving it a try, its very expensive if it doesnt workk tho, think its 250 for 2 or 3 sessions or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

i was on that irish hynosis website and was considering giving it a try, its very expensive if it doesnt workk tho, think its 250 for 2 or 3 sessions or something like that

Yeah it wasn't cheap. | went to a hypnotherapist. I was very skeptical at first but it totally sorted me out. I had underlining issues that was causing my insomnia and I came to understand and accept that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but dose anybody know if Nytol is sold in Ireland?

I was able to buy it in any local chemist when I lived in the UK & I was told it was otc over here as well but tried to 2 chemists & neither of them had it.

Anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 diaquinn

The major aspects of sleep are routine and comfort. Stimulants physical and mental obviously play a part but if you take care of the former, the latter will have a diminished role. For a long time, I was getting up for classes at various times of day, working later on some nights and I had no routine. I was at college, so I'd be spending alot of time under my duvet, but it was a cheap duvet. I had a cramped bed, spring mattress, bad sheets, the whole lot. So while I getting alot of "sleep time", I wasnt too comfortable and my sleep quality was far diminished. I made certain changes to my routine when the bags under my eyes grew too much. I got a feather down duvet, not exactly a luxury duvet but certainly an improvement, I brought a cheap mattress topper, but most important of all, I GOT AN ALARM CLOCK!!!! At first, it was so so difficult getting up at regular times but the work paid off, so I sleep more comfortably and look forward to going to bed. I tend to listen to some clannad to relax me too, but thats not for everyone! x

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anyone have more details on the technique of relaxing by imagining various bits falling to sleep first starting at the extremities and then gradually getting the rest of your body relaxed ?
    Or where you breath slowly ?

http://www.wikihow.com/Fall-Asleep
    Loosen your muscles: Lie on your back. Starting from the very tips of your toes, gradually loosen all of your muscles one by one eventually reaching the head. Move to your ankles, then calves, knees, and upward. If your mind wanders, return to the last part of the body loosened and keep working up until you reach your head, relaxing your body; the torso and head are the hardest to relax! Staying on your back, aim to sink loosely onto the mattress until you feel it is time to roll into your desired position.

Use breathing techniques. Deep breathing can help you relax enough to fall asleep. Lie on your back in bed, watching or feeling your stomach rise, and then breathe. Your goal is to breathe in and out about six times per minute, as per this exercise:

Breathe in deeply for four long-counts.
    Hold the breath for two counts.
    Let the deep breath out for four counts, pushing the last "bit" of breath out but gently, not over-working it.
    Repeat. Concentrate on your breath, remaining focused on it to the exclusion of all else.

I LOL'd
    http://www.wikihow.com/Fall-Asleep-Fast
    Sort out any problems or worries before going to bed instead of worrying about when in bed
    Write out your response to any anticipated confrontation on paper. Instead of lying in bed working through a million scenarios, knowing you've already come up with a list of comebacks can spare many hours of anxiety.

http://stereopsis.com/flux/ removes the harsh white glare from your screen when it's getting towards bedtime

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Man travelling united

Ive had trouble sleeping over the past year and the only thing that makes me fall asleep is good sunlight if im away or a xanex.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Man travelling united

Maybe there not the ones that agree with your body I got zolpadon tarten of my doctor and they made me worse mad dreams ect and I tried a xanex under my own supervision(not adviseable) and they work very well. Sleep is so important it could really get you down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭b_mac

http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=eidw3&icao=eidw

I listen to this, take a few slow deep breaths and I am.... zzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Here's some great tips to help you get some sleep ......

http://www.well.com/~mick/insomnia/

and here they are put to music by a choir in New York, I kid you not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=tznqYLK_c0I

tips summary from well.com/~mick/insomnia

Index of Insomnia Tips

See a Doctor
    Take a Warm Bath
    Get a Massage
    Listen to Music or Other Audio
    Drink Warm Milk
    Drink Herb Tea
    Eat a Bedtime Snack
    Avoid Caffeine, Alcohol and Tobacco
    Sleep in a Well-Ventilated Room
    Sleep on a Good Firm Bed
    Sleep on Your Back
    Get Some Physical Exercise During the Day
    Keep Regular Bedtime Hours
    If You Can't Sleep, Get Up
    Don't Sleep In
    Get Up Earlier in the Morning
    Keep Your Bed a Place for Sleep
    Avoid Naps
    Avoid Illuminated Bedroom Clocks

Of course there's the standard insomnia remedy
    that everyone knows (although it never worked for us, so we've got a better version)

Counting Sheep
    Some insomnia cures you probably
    haven't seen before

Sleep With Your Head Facing North
    Don't Watch TV or Read Before Going to Bed
    Toe Wiggling
    Stomach Rub
    Progressive Relaxation[Listen to, or download at no charge, this guided relaxation]
    Deep Breathing
    Visualize Something Peaceful
    Visualize Something Boring
    Imagine It's Time to Get Up
    Quiet Ears
    And some new suggestions from readers
    who have found these remedies useful for their own insomnia.

Not Thinking
    Smoke Yourself to Sleep
    Yawning
    Sex—Alone or with Others
    Backwards Counting / Mental Computer
    South, Not North
    Earplugs
    Secure Place
    Bedtime Routine
    Hot Water Bottle
    Green Cows—and Other Animals of Color
    Short Walk Before Bed

Testimonials

Good luck! Have a pleasant sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

^^^ Thanks to all who've posted some tips & advice in here. I've not slept right / not really slept at all since an incident last Tuesday but thankfully have a few pre-booked days off in event this insomnia continues.
    Will certainly try some ideas from here :)

Thanks again,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 10 richardjack67

Thanks for the tips.. I really need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sardino

Presumably mentioned but I use a 5 minute meditation every night and find I fall asleep very soon after. I usually have a struggle if I don't bother to meditate. All it involves in concentrating thought solely on breaths coming in and out and every time you notice yourself thinking revert to the breathing. You'll find yourself thinking a lot but you get better at noticing it early and increasing the length of focus on just breathing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Well whats been working for me is noise: background noise in some form.

Could be music via the tv - my mind would wander into the lyrics, meaning, importance etc etc;
    or even
    playing a dvd on the laptop - one I've seen so often I could recite the lines, harmless movie, but familiar.

Before bed though, some form of exercise; a walk; turbo-trainer; anything. Or even a lavender bath, soothing & relaxing :)

That's what has been working for me anyways,
    Hope it helps someone else,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Well whats been working for me is noise: background noise in some form.

Could be music via the tv - my mind would wander into the lyrics, meaning, importance etc etc;
    or even
    playing a dvd on the laptop - one I've seen so often I could recite the lines, harmless movie, but familiar.

Before bed though, some form of exercise; a walk; turbo-trainer; anything. Or even a lavender bath, soothing & relaxing :)

That's what has been working for me anyways,
    Hope it helps someone else,
    kerry4sam

To get to sleep I thought kerry people would just list off all the years they won sam maguires?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭shuffle65

Strangely I've been having trouble dropping off to sleep/staying asleep for the past few weeks, this despite the fact that a lot of my worries have been taken away from me. (career/finances). I'm happier than I've been in ages, so why am I not able to sleep properly?
    I'm starting to feel a little bit ill from it...

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭descheness

Very useful tips, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SepTomBer

Will try this.. I really can't sleep well lately

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭descheness

Anyone have any tips on not feeling so groggy in the morning? I've felt so run down these past few weeks an can't see to shake it!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Take a warm, relaxing shower for about 10 minutes then get out, dry yourself and drink some cold water and head to sleep immediately afterwards :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭pavb2

I want to monitor my sleeping and try to get into a routine Can anyone recommend any phone apps or wristband devices with alarms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I remember in secondary school I could never sleep. Would go to bed and be getting back up at 6 to catch the train. It took me a while to find a solution but my problems were sorted over night.

1. Don't kill yourself exercising 3 hours or less before bed. I was an avid gym user all through secondary school and still am. But going for two hours and hoping to be spark out when you got home never helped me personally. It may work for you.

2. Don't be eating sugar 2 hours before bed or anything large in general. Interferes big time with your sleeping pattern.

3. Lie ins are a killer I'm afraid to say. Don't go to bed 3am Saturday night and rise at 12pm Sunday. For me personally, I had to wake at 9am to sleep the next night. And with alcohol in you, any sleep you get is worthless anyway. Try and keep a routine.

4. No nightcaps.

5. I actually sleep with earplugs so I can't hear the seagulls :D

6. THIS IS THE BIGGEST ONE. Don't look at screens 2 hours before bed time. The blue light present in the screens fools your brain into thinking its still daylight and it doesn't release the amount of melatonin (the chemical that helps you sleep). This includes laptops and TV's. Those who say they need screens to tire their eyes are talking s***. Reading also seems to keep me up so I usually go and practice a musical instrument. If you desperately need to use the screen, don't bother with the apps that claim to block out blue light. It's nonsense. Use amber tinted sunglasses, they block out blue light.

7. For teens specifically, just go to bl***y bed and quit moaning. Never ceases to amaze me that college students moan about not sleeping when you know they were on YouTube until 2am.

8. My final point, don't stress and worry about getting no sleep. At the end of the day its not going to help. Just lie there and tell yourself "I am asleep" and just close your eyes. May take a while but you'll drift off. I find that if it takes me more than an hour to get to sleep, I get up, walk around the house for five minutes, do a full body stretch, leave the window open a crack for a few minutes and flip the pillow. I then go back to bed and actually fall asleep.

Hope this helps. Helped me a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

descheness wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips on not feeling so groggy in the morning? I've felt so run down these past few weeks an can't see to shake it!

Take vitamins. If you get a shower in the morning, run it on hot as you can handle for 30 seconds, then cold as you can handle for 30 seconds and then repeat once. Helps blood flow.

Advertisement