Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-07-2006, 11:21   #1
mosulli4

Irish gun dealers selling pistols

Morning all...

Has anyone purchased a pistol yet through a local gunshop? I believe some dealers are importing them singly.

Let me know who you used, and whether it was good value.

I would love to obtain one of those CZ 85s, with the Kadet 22lr adaptor...

thanks,

mosulli4
Advertisement
12-07-2006, 12:11   #2
Rovi
Closed Account

I got mine from Pat Cooke in Hilltop Quad, near Newtownmountkennedy, County Wicklow (http://www.pcquad.com/).

Price was the same as in the North, converted to Euros of course.
A little bit dearer than advertised on the German/Continental websites, but I put a fair bit of value on dealing with a real live person over a gun shop counter, and it simplified paperwork/language issues significantly (I speak fluent Wicklish ).

All else being reasonably equal, I prefer to do business with the locals.
12-07-2006, 12:13   #3
de_shadow

Outdoor hobby in leixlip tel.01 6104426 and
Griffen Hawe in Athy , i dont have a phone number,
Are two ive heard of .
The Cz is going for about €650-700 and the adapter is roughly the same because you need a seperate cert for it ,its probably a better idea to just get a full .22lr pistol i think some of them are starting at the €300 mark like the Sig. mosquito.
Jim Halpin in listowel tel.068 22392 i dont know if the's getting pistols but a phone call could find that out.
Hope this helps.
12-07-2006, 13:11   #4
mosulli4

Thanks to all

Thanks to everyone.

I just had a chat with Outdoor Hobby. Very helpful, and good prices.

Much appreciated.

Mosulli4
12-07-2006, 13:57   #5
Clare gunner
Banned

Quote:
[The Cz is going for about €650-700 and the adapter is roughly the same because you need a seperate cert for it ,its probably a better idea to just get a full .22lr pistol i think some of them are starting at the €300 mark like the Sig. mosquito.

Wasnt this supposed to be done away with in the new legislation,or somthing regarding the Sako Quad style rifles??
Advertisement
12-07-2006, 14:10   #6
Sparks
Category Moderator

No CG, the thing about the Quad in the legislation was saying that it wasn't an offence to have one (otherwise, it could be interpreted that changing the barrels on a quad could be a criminal offence as you were changing the calibre of the rifle).

In section 65 of the Bill:
Quote:
(4) Subject to subsection (5), it is an offence to modify a firearm so as to render its reloading mechanism fully automatic or to increase its calibre, irrespective of whether the firearm, as so modified, is a restricted firearm.

(5) Subsection (4) does not apply to a firearm designed and manufactured so as to enable barrels of different calibres to be attached to it.
I wonder if (5) there means you could legally modify a Quad or something similar to be automatic?

Last edited by Sparks; 12-07-2006 at 14:13.
12-07-2006, 16:13   #7
mcguiver

I've bought /I mean paid for a pistol through Outdoor Hobby.
Very friendly service.... untill I paid up.
Arrived in with cert, Article (7?) etc. was told, a week to 10 days coming from Germany.
Rang them 2 weeks later..."eh um... ehh.. nothing yet, we'll ring you back."
Another week passed.."It's left Germany... should be a few days"
Currently week 7 "eh... um..... paperworks holding it up, we'll be in touch".

To date they haven't called once even to say, there's no news.
Couldn't recommend them I'm afraid.
12-07-2006, 16:45   #8
civdef

What benefits does an individual get going to an Irish dealer as a middleman for a European dealer, to justify the dealer's cut?
12-07-2006, 17:28   #9
newby.204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks
No CG, the thing about the Quad in the legislation was saying that it wasn't an offence to have one (otherwise, it could be interpreted that changing the barrels on a quad could be a criminal offence as you were changing the calibre of the rifle).

In section 65 of the Bill:

I wonder if (5) there means you could legally modify a Quad or something similar to be automatic?
Soory to hijack

One question, aside froma flat out no from the super, what is policy, garda style of course, on getting a SEMI-AUTO rifle in .223????
Advertisement
12-07-2006, 17:32   #10
Sparks
Category Moderator

I don't think there is one yet Newby. There is at least one licenced in the country already though, a H&K SL8.
12-07-2006, 17:35   #11
newby.204

Quote:
I don't think there is one yet Newby. There is at least one licenced in the country already though, a H&K SL8.
Right well i guess ill be leaving it at the one then, not worth the hassle!!!
12-07-2006, 17:49   #12
whupass

Send a message via AIM to whupass Send a message via MSN to whupass
for hand guns what is the highest cal.? i was looking at a walther p99 which is a 9mm. and you can get it for $571.99 on impactguns.com, they sell a lot of hand guns and rifles.

another question you are aloud extended clips right? the p99 comes with a 10 rd clip and you can get a 15. the ps90 (civilian semi-auto version of the p-90) comes with a 30 round clip and you can get a 50.
12-07-2006, 17:57   #13
Sparks
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whupass
for hand guns what is the highest cal.? i was looking at a walther p99 which is a 9mm. and you can get it for $571.99 on impactguns.com, they sell a lot of hand guns and rifles.
another question you are aloud extended clips right? the p99 comes with a 10 rd clip and you can get a 15. the ps90 (civilian semi-auto version of the p-90) comes with a 30 round clip and you can get a 50.
There are no rules on calibre, nor on extended clips. There are several .40s and .45ACPs out there. Don't know of any .50s myself, but there's no law against it. Now, as to what you local superintendent says, that's another ballgame.

And in a few months, it'll be another ballgame all over again with the changes from the CJB.
12-07-2006, 18:31   #14
whupass

Send a message via AIM to whupass Send a message via MSN to whupass
Quote:
There are several .40s and .45ACPs out there. Don't know of any .50s myself,

no i meant a 50 round clip if that is what you were talking about.

ty

P.S. what about buying ammunition for your gun? i guess you can buy it the same place you buy your gun but in bulk? on impact you can get 2,000 9mm for $297.99 what's the law on buying ammunition in bulk?
12-07-2006, 18:41   #15
Sparks
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whupass
no i meant a 50 round clip if that is what you were talking about.
No, I meant calibre. There are several .40 calibre and .45ACP calibre pistols currently licenced, and while I don't know of anyone playing silly buggers and shooting with a desert eagle, there's no law says they can't.

Quote:
P.S. what about buying ammunition for your gun? i guess you can buy it the same place you buy your gun but in bulk? on impact you can get 2,000 9mm for $297.99 what's the law on buying ammunition in bulk?
Your licence tells you how many rounds you can have. Mostly, the licences are granted with a 100 round limit, but that can be changed if you ask and have a decent reason. It's not unusual for smallbore or airgun target shooters to have up to 10,000 rounds on their licence. For fullbore though, that might make a superintendent a tad nervous unless you can show him that you're actually using that much ammunition (as opposed to selling a few hundred rounds to shifty-looking characters down the pub).

Your firearms dealer can get in a multiple of the amount on your licence (2.5 times? 5 times? I can't remember how much), but if you want to buy in bulk for economy, that's not going to help you much!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion