Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-05-2007, 14:16   #46
tk123

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-rasmus
erm, you should be able to buy the mixed pollen homeopathic remedy from most chemists (made by WELEDA). or healthfood shops. the one i got was in a "hayfever survival set" http://www.weleda.co.uk/products/nam...r-survival-kit
Thanks I might try it - i've been taking medicine on and off since the Feb and I'm just tired of it at this stage I can't even wear my lenses anymore and have to wear my dorky glasses instead
Advertisement
29-05-2007, 14:49   #47
kraggy
Closed Account

The worst part for me is the eternally itching eyes which just get itchier and itchier the more i scratch.

it has been psychologically disturbing at times. really.

however, i went to my gp a couple of years ago and basically begged for help.

I had taken all anti-histamines, nasal sprays etc in the past and the steroid injection (Depo-medrone) worked for about 5 years but in the last 3/4 years that hadn't worked.

So, desparate and down, he prescribed me tablets and nasal spray and eye drops to try and attack it from all angles.

The eyedrops were and still are the business. They are called Opticrom and they are available over the counter for less than €10.

They really did wonders for me.

Hope they do for you!
29-05-2007, 15:33   #48
sweet-rasmus

Send a message via MSN to sweet-rasmus
the only problem with the homeopathic remedy is that it isn't a quick fix. don't forget the internet has a wealth of information about hayfever!
29-05-2007, 16:36   #49
shapez

Send a message via Skype™ to shapez
I use Clarityn or Piriton. It really depends on the person. I've used the nasal spray before but I didn't find them effective.
29-05-2007, 16:47   #50
Evil Phil
Contact Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-rasmus
hey, i heard that if you take "mixed pollen" as a homeopathic remedy it should build your immunity against pollen. now, they do warn it's meant to get worse before better. i started taking them about 2 months ago, but i found it was causing me to sneeze after taking it most of the time it being exam season in college i thought i'd stop trying, but has anyone had any success with the homeopathic remedy???
Nelsons on Duke St Dublin should be able to help you get a remedy that works for you. They're a homepathic pharmacy, I find that most health food shops haven't a clue about homeopathy or how it works.

I dont' have hayfever (thank god ) but I've taken remedies for other things and they've worked great.
Advertisement
29-05-2007, 17:14   #51
kieranmcg1

I heard this a while back but my hyfever has never been bad enough to try it but iv heard something that is sipposed to help hay fever sufferers is to share a kiss with a lover . it would be the kind of thing you would try if you were cought off guard . worth a try if it helps at all
30-05-2007, 02:34   #52
drdre
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileylynz
Piriton, , Hope I spelt that right, Excellent Tablets, Cheap too, Get them n any chemist! They dont make me drowsy, but nearly made the girl I work with fall asleep yesterday!!!
Nothing helps me ecept for these tablets. I got an injection last year and it looks like i need one again this year as my nose is really itchy
30-05-2007, 09:19   #53
tk123

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranmcg1
I heard this a while back but my hyfever has never been bad enough to try it but iv heard something that is sipposed to help hay fever sufferers is to share a kiss with a lover . it would be the kind of thing you would try if you were cought off guard . worth a try if it helps at all
A kiss eh?? Any volunteers?
30-05-2007, 19:32   #54
angeldelight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudess
Just another point on the antihistamines: the non-drowsy ones are non-drowsy because they contain a stimulant so don't take them before going to sleep.
I know it's an old thread but because people are reading it again I just thought I'd point out that that isn't true and you can take them before going to bed, they won't keep you awake!
Advertisement
30-05-2007, 20:47   #55
snickerpuss

Today is the first day I've gotten it all year. I'm dying. I went and got my neo-clarityn prescription and took one.
Its the sinius pain that kills me. Bah. I can't work like this all summer.
30-05-2007, 20:50   #56
mathew

Send a message via Skype™ to mathew
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk123
Does anyone use eye drops - if so which ones? I use Otrivine and they burn my eyes out for about 5 mins after taking thm My doc prescribed me Nasonex and it works treat but I still have to use eye drops sometimes...
Opticrom.. not sure if they're prescription or not.. but they're amazing!

I also use Neoclarityn tablets and Flixonase Nasel spray.

A tablet, a spray and a drop in each eye in the morning and I dont get any symptoms for the whole day!

If they do flare up, a spray or eye drops depending on what flares does the trick!
31-05-2007, 10:18   #57
daveirl

Send a message via Skype™ to daveirl
Opticrom are the business.

I can't find any anti-histamine that's anyway good these days. I used to get one called Hisminal but that seems to be off the market these days.

I'm not getting it too bad this summer.
31-05-2007, 14:49   #58
gyppo

I developed severe hayfever almost overnight when I was in my late twenties.
Since then, I'v tried almost everything.
Went the homeopathic route, lots of honey, weleda pollen supplements, etc.. with no success.

Got the Kenalog injection from my gp - you need to get it ideally about 3/4 weeks before the start of the pollen season - however, its not great stuff to have injected into your body, and can cause necrosis & puckering of muscle at the injection site, not to mention bone thinning, and other lovely side effects. So, made a decision not to go down that route after three seasons.

Nasal sprays are only ok in the short term - prolonged use can cause them to become ineffective, as well as making your nose bleed. Most nasal sprays are topical steroids, which will eventually thin nasal tissue.

The only thing that works for me is Zirtek, and on an especially bad day, I will take a 2nd tablet. An earlier poster mentioned milk too - spot on, cut down completely on all dairy products.

BTW: Mods - could this be put in the long term illness forum as a sticky for the hayfever season? Would make more sense to have it there, imo.

Last edited by gyppo; 31-05-2007 at 14:53.
06-06-2007, 14:41   #59
nesf

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerpuss
Today is the first day I've gotten it all year. I'm dying. I went and got my neo-clarityn prescription and took one.
Its the sinius pain that kills me. Bah. I can't work like this all summer.
It's the rash that gets me. Beconase/Flixonase/Zirtek etc are fine once the pollen count isn't too high but some days they just don't do enough and I end up breaking out in a rash and getting the eyes, sinus pain etc. The rash is worse than the sinus pain for me most of the time.
06-06-2007, 14:43   #60
daveirl

Send a message via Skype™ to daveirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveirl
I'm not getting it too bad this summer.
I take it back......

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image