Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone have a Good Scrambled Egg Recipe?

Options
  • 24-05-2006 4:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hey All - Emm I'm new - lol . First post ^_^

Was wondering about something myself, I checked up a great many cooking/recipe sites to figure how to make Scrambled eggs. But I've been somewhat unsucessful.

Half the Time I make Scrambled eggs for my Brothers, Etc, The Eggs fine, and it's yellow and puffy, just perfect. But then again, it comes out greyish and soggy.

I was wondering if anyone knew the Exact Ration of Milk and how much Butter one should use to feed around four people ? without it turning out badly~

I have had some practice but I'd rather have a better chance than guessing...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I always just play it by feel, for 4 people you should have at least an egg each, just add a good splash of milk, whisk the eggs and milk a bit together to get a bit of air into the mix. A good knob of butter, use real butter and not that spreadable stuff.
    I dunno why it would be going grey, also I dont do my scrambled eggs right to the point of dryness, I like to leave a bit of moisture in them.
    A dash of cream instead of milk can also be good for richness, but generally I would only use it if I was adding smoked salmon.
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper, or if you are presentation conscious use white pepper as it wont leave a black fleck in the egg, but generally I use black pepper as it is tastier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

another variation based on two portions is to fry one onions, one red chillis off finally sliced, add four cherry tomatoes halved with ground tumeric, cumin one teasponn and black pepper, continue to fry for a min, then add two eggs with a llittle cream or milk, stir and cook until you have a nice moist mixture, ab fab on warm buttered toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

No grey scrambled eggs: use no milk.

I'd use a level teaspoon of butter and two eggs for very, very basic scram.

Personally, I go for salt, pepper and chopped parsley in my basic recipe, and stir in some strips of smoked salmon at the last minute and pile it on a toasted bagel for Saturday scram.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bspoke

I go one egg per person, a good splash of milk with salt and black pepper to taste. Then I add my secret ingredient - grated cheddar!

Try it some time its yummmmm. Sometimes I cook it until its dry sometimes I will leave some 'juices' all depends on what else I am having with my eggs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I was going to say the same thing. My scrambled eggs are basically a slightly underdone, seriously messed about omelette :) If I happen to have any cream available, I might add a smidgin, say a tbsp or two max, but not usually. If my lovage plant hasn't been entirely eaten by slugs (grrrr!) I may add a few chopped up leaves at the last minute ... much nicer than parsely IMHO.

What I also like to do is to get some of that very thin smoked "continental" bacon. Fry that up until it's just starting to go crispy, add the eggs, and scramble the whole lot up together (no need for any butter), a scrunch of black pepper and that's it.

• Advertisement

I find that without milk that it can be a little heavy, but horses for courses.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

2 eggs, 2 tablespoons of milk, small knob of butter, salt, pepper. Cook over a medium heat until scrambled. It never fails me!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I never use milk
    but I do use heart attack amounts of butter, a big lump, melt in the sauspan and throw in the eggs, salt, pepper, tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I always take the pan off the heat while they're still really wet, and continue to scramble while hovering the saucepan over the plate containing the toast- when they just hit that nice clotted perfection they're dumped straight on. The residual heat in you pan is enough to over-cook them if you turn the heat off when they're done, as opposed to before they're done.

Another important thing is not to over-whisk the eggs. You should mess them with the fork a little in the bowl, with milk/cream if desired. This is also when you should season w/ salt and TONS of black pepper, so the flavour goes right through the eggs. Pop a knob of butter into the pan. Wait till it foams and recedes, then pop in the eggs. If you're using herbs throw then in at the last minute.

What I make to go with scrambled eggs is tomato butter. Peel a load of tomatoes, chop roughly & throw into a pan w/ a knob of butter and a small dash of olive oil. Leave on a medium-low heat for at least 30 minutes w/ a small pinch of sugar, some salt and pepper. You'll know it's ready when the texture has changed from wet watery goo, to silky smooth goo, and it stops simmering and starts sautéing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

to make my scrambled eggs, melt a knob of butter in the pan, add enough milk to cover the base of the pan w/ the butter. pour in the beaten eggs, some black pepper, stir constantly, take off the heat when its reasonably thick but not done, give it a moment or two more to thincken up and dump on two slices of heavily buttered toast :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

make sure when you are stiring your egg that you only use a whisk. never make scrambled egg and whisk with a fork. i find that the whisk doesnt take any crap from the end of the pot and makes the eggs much more fluffier!

tabatha wrote:
    make sure when you are stiring your egg that you only use a whisk. never make scrambled egg and whisk with a fork. i find that the whisk doesnt take any crap from the end of the pot and makes the eggs much more fluffier!
    I reccomend a wooden spatula with a flat edge. I think scrambled eggs that have been whisked, or 'fluffy' eggs, are actually way too dry. Personal taste. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Drakol

Thanks for the Advice ^__^

But I don't get how people can make Scrambled Eggs with no milk! *Cream is a new Idea for me =P *
    I mean Chinese Scrambled Eggs is basically like that, but still -

Going to go with Fluffy, and I think I found out what went wrong to turn the Eggs Grey. The Butter began to burn slightly due to the heat and basically that made the egg grey ¬_¬ Notice to anyone else - Put on the Butter after you heat up the pan

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭billyblanks

a small bit of pesto mixed in with scrambled eggs is fantastic....but it does make them look kinda green.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I don't understand how anyone can put milk in scrambled eggs. It's like adding milk to mashed potato. It's just wrong. :D

I don't understand how anyone can put milk in scrambled eggs. It's like adding milk to mashed potato. It's just wrong. :D

ooooooooooooh, you wouldn't say that to my face would ya huh huh huh?

Boiled potatoes through a ricer into a small amount of milk with melted butter and folded with a whisk as you rice the potatoes then finished with herbs are the nicest mash you will ever eat.

I have a friend who we used to describe as having invented a new style of cookery- "Cuisine á la buerre". He used to make mashed potatoes by reducing butter and cream to get even more fat into the mash. It used to make out lecturer's eyes glaze over. Probably with cholesterol.

(Also- the nicest mash you'll ever eat has about 25 cloves of roasted garlic mashed into it. "Cuisine á la Shabadu")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Microwave anyone? (Have I just blashphemed?)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i used to make scrambled legs int eh microwave. but itsm uch nicer froma pot. washing up after the pot's a balls though

Shabadu wrote:
    I have a friend who we used to describe as having invented a new style of cookery- "Cuisine á la buerre". He used to make mashed potatoes by reducing butter and cream to get even more fat into the mash. It used to make out lecturer's eyes glaze over. Probably with cholesterol.

(Also- the nicest mash you'll ever eat has about 25 cloves of roasted garlic mashed into it. "Cuisine á la Shabadu")

Oh no I wouldn't reduce it and also wouldn't put a lot of butter in there, but both are essential and the ricer just makes it so smooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I make mine in the microwave, melt a little butter first, then scramble up the eggs with a good dash of milk. Leave on for a minute, stir, and then another minute (or less depending on what you think of the look of them)
    Usually turns out quite nice once you don't overcook...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭fourmations

here's how gordon makes his f**cking eggs!!

I have his "easy" book

break 2 eggs and knob of butter into COLD small frypan, mix up slightly
    dont whisk, NO milk

put on lowest heat possible, stir often, cook really slowly, should take 10mins

when just set, add more butter (i dont BTW),
    lots of S&P, teaspoon of creme fraiche, chives to dress if you like

the result should be smooth, still quite wet and creamy

they are fantastic like this, try it once
    its worth the extra time it takes,
    far better than fast cooked lumps

(I add a bit of cheddar too)

rgds

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

I always put chives in my scrambled eggs. I know it sounds weird but it's nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

After reading all this thread my first attempt filled the kitchen with smoke and burned the bottom of the saucepan. go number 2 nothing in the saucepan butter in the mix stured it really gently with a wooden spoon. yum yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I usually use 2 eggs with a little bit of milk and cottage cheese and some basil. I heat the pan till it's pretty hot an add a knob of butter. Remove the pan from the heat and add the egg mixture, I only put it back on the heat if I haven't got the eggs to the point that I like them at ( with a little bit of moisture remaining).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

moist,not soggy, with bacon and a hint of cheese....hmmmm dont know how my ma does it,only time i get good scrambled eggs is when i visit home

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Throw in some grated cheddar and don't let them over cook. You should be able to spread it with a knife!

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Lightly whisk eggs with a fork, add a splash of milk, nice bit of butter on the pan.... salt and black pepper (hate eggs that look too 'clean' anyway)
    I always use a small frying pan (circulon commercial, non stick), much easier to clean up than a saucepan.
    Cook slowly over a low heat, has to be a wooden spatula with a flat edge to poke them about, and like Shabadu said, turn off heat before they're done and immediately remove from pan when the time is right.
    Nice for brunch on a bagel with some grilled bacon and cold sliced tomato.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

Steep the pot, the whole eggy layer at the bottom will lift off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

For something a little different, add a dash of soy sauce. Works a treat.

Advertisement