Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy clubs / equipment

• 01-05-2006 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi all
    I am surprised there is not a sticky for this.

I am looking for a set of men's and women's beginner clubs. (€200 price mark each set)

This weekend's first stop was McGuirks in Blanchardstown.
    A helpful assistant there showed us a set each for the 200 mark. I didn't take note of what they were but they looked nice.

Next step was to check argos. Very little there for ladies - but some choice for men.
    Ben Sayers 'Zero - In' or Ryder €145 full set.
    Ryder €200 full set + cart + umbrella
    All 3 sets look ok. Deep cavity irons and graphite titanium woods.
    Anyone any experience of these argos sets?

Then I checked Nevada Bob's Golf Superstore, 50A KCR Ind Est Ravensdale Park 12 Dublin. Quite a large store with a good layout and test centre.
    Spalding sp-1 full set mens €200,
    Ladies Spalding precise €200... think we're going to get a set of those after successful testing.

I'm just not sure on the mens spalding yet...

Next, was Golfworks at Spawell. Bit of a small store and selection... (http://www.golfworks.ie/)

Next stop was American Golf in belgard D24.
    Again similar size shop and helpful stuff.
    A €149 set there and a €219 Ram set (anyone experience of RAM? quite stylish set!)

So, that's all my research for the moment...
    I would be interested in other peoples experiences and ideas as to where to buy that first set of clubs (Online and street stores)...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Poker & Pints

I think the best thing to do is buy online. Buy a decent set, even if it is used. The reason why is that clubs last longer than most other sporting goods a person would buy...so its better to get a decent set because you will use them for 4-7 years or maybe even more. A better quality set adds much more enjoyment to the game.

For example: Wilson has a set for about 250-280. The set includes:-

9 Wilson Tour RX True Temper irons steel shafts (3-SW)
    3 Wilson Tour RX Woods in graphite shafts (1, 3, 5)
    Wilson Dyna Balanced 3D putter
    Wilson Stand Bag (worth £69.95)
    + FREE Wilson 1,3,5 wood covers

Or get a set of irons and buy the other clubs(driver & putter separate). Look at Ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Howitzer wrote:
    Hi all
    I am surprised there is not a sticky for this.

so am i....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

good advice.

I had a look at onlinesports.ie - seem to have a good range but only one set for beginners.

Elverys.ie and elverys' store (basement of Clery's) - pretty limited range

Arnotts - pathetic range (2 putters, one with half a price tag... argh!)
    - that said a good range of small essentials such as tees, balls etc

Anyone any more links worth investigating / adding to this sticky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

go out to celbridge driving range and try out the clubs they have there, ultimatley you'll end up choosing what you're most comfortable with, so no point in asking other people to make suggestions, we could end up suggesting everything except the ones that suits you best

yep I've come to that conclusion too - so please ignore my specific question.
    I'm now only interested in creating a sticky full of golf equipment links etc.

Celbridge has been mentioned a number of times. Is it one of the best McGuirks shops?

Anyone regularly buying / browsing of the net? Review links? etc..
    cheers 1 and all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

cellbridge has quite a good range but if you're looking to try anything specific ring first and make sure it's there.

Got the two sets last nite at Nevada Bobs...

Total Spend: €450... very decent I think.

Spalding Sp-1 mens and Spalding precise womens full sets + bag
    + 1 putter upgrade + 2 carts.

Roll on the weekend

More shops to look at:

Golfworks in Spawell, bit small and grubby - but you can use the clubs on a test range

Golfworks in Dundrum, nice sized store, good stock and layout.

I picked up a pair of Footjoy, Greenjoys for €70 with a brush thrown in.

I'm easily pleased, and will go back there in future.

golfworks.ie ..... not a great site....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭delboy159

The best golf shop I've come accross is Plus 4 Golf in Phibsborough. It's a really old spot (bags and clubs hanging from the cielings, damp smell at the back etc), but has loads of equipment and 2nd hand clubs at very good prices. They will come over and have a chat with you and there's no hard selling at all - they'll even say - if you like those shoes or that glove or that club, theres a better one over here for €30 less.....

Also, if you rack up €108 of a bill they'll round it to €100 sometimes...

It's a bit old school - but thats the way I like it and very pleasent...

Has anyone else been in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i'm looking for a beginer set at the mo, lookin to spend around €200.

are these any use?

http://www.mcguirksgolf.com/mcguirk.filereader?448ea29700944414271d424d361a0654+EN/products/RAMS&2D1000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

A mate of mine has opened up a shop in Peamount Driving Range (or you may know it as Newcastle Driving Range) near Lucan.

He has a great selection of clubs, footwear, clothes, etc. available at reasonable prices and should be able to beat McGuirk's prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

I know of a guy that sells 2nd hand clubs in Kevin st. area. Probably the best option is to buy reputable brands 2nd hand. At least if you're not comfortable with them they will hold their value. Buying "cheap" clubs is a waste, they're worth nothing if you want to sell them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 shady_dice

the ram set mcguirks sell are ideal for any beginner and are in an appropriate price range for someone looking to get started, to be honest i wouldnt look a whole lot further. jacko makes a good point in that if you can find a _decent_ second hand set you can get a good deal but make sure you have someone in the know with you.

as for going out to celbridge i wouldnt bother if it is the lower end stuff you are looking at as the stuff they have out there for trial tends to be more the mid to high end gear. go get the ram set, they will help you get started and after not too long playing you will have a much clearer idea of what you want the next time you upgrade.

just _dont_ pay full price. they will tell you its an awesome deal already and they can do nothing but push and they are trained to give in, just make sure you find someone a bit more senior looking who has the authority... even if they just throw some extra gear in its something and they will do it rather than lose the business of someone looking to get started in the game

dice, 6 years experience in mcguirks when younger ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭guydub

theres a place in Donabate that sell imitation clubs. there copies of all the top brands , very good prices

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭spfeno

Anyone tried www.pinemeadow.com yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭Raiser

Can this thread please be unstickied and perhaps stickied again when it contains something usefull, anything usefull - maybe even advice on how to get chewing-gum out of hair.....just in the interim I mean.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 abanazaar

Raiser wrote:
    Can this thread please be unstickied and perhaps stickied again when it contains something usefull, anything usefull - maybe even advice on how to get chewing-gum out of hair.....just in the interim I mean.....
    What an inane comment and not very useful ( with only one L )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bomber72

Hi..

Pro Shop at Newcastle driving range has a good sale on , stock clearance..Most clubs , clothing etc half price.. Picked up a pair of footjoy , greenjoy for 35 euro.. Set of Dunlop DDH Irons for 200 with custom fitting . Guy in shop Darren is very helpful ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

I got my set (the Wilson set mentioned earlier in the thread, but with a 3 Wood Hybrid club) in Mahers in Penrose Wharf in Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

I think a lot of people are missing the basic point here, however good looking a set of clubs look.

I think you should at least take away the demo club for a few days and try it out, get a feel for it, see if you are comfortable with it. Then base your descision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Got a Dunlop Max driver in heaton's for €16.
    Havn't used it yet but will report back when I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 happyone

this site has links to several good equipment suppliers. mostly USA but one in the UK which has a wide variety of clubs. also a lot of good information and tips (don't seem to help me but I am beyond help).
    [url]Http://all-about-golf.com[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 46 willfer

Do plus four golf do trade ins?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Please don't dig up zombie threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement