Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oblivion - Interesting Radiant AI Moments

Options
  • 14-04-2006 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭

Any one ever have an unusual Radiant AI experience? Something out of the norm of sleeping, eating, etc?

My first was in Bruma. On arriving for the first time I decided to rest as I needed to level up, so I found the local cheap tavern, Olav's Tap and Tack. When I walk in I get a room from Olav and just as I turn around Gromm goes nuts on Skjorta and starts pummeling her with his warhammer.

Skjorta, a local shop owner, tries to yield but Gromm is having none of it and carries on smashing her so she runs out the door and Gromm follows. I, of course, decide to follow.

When I get outside they're both halfway down the street with the Town Guard on their tail. A few archers try to take Gromm down but too late as he finally kills poor Skjorta. Eventually he gets floored by 4 Town Guards who promptly resume their patrols, leaving me in utter confusion.

This was soon remedied however by removing Skjorta's keys and ransacking the shop as her co-worker slept.

So.... what are your tales?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Just there I was outside...some town, Bruma maybe ... and came across the first blows in the Empire Civil War. Two Imperial Legion Foresters nailing each other with arrow fire. Went on for a while with them screaming abuse and then one of them died, and the other guy ran off chasing a deer.

I can only imagine the guards genocidal pogrom against Bambi must have been interupted by a careless arrow hitting a comrade. Youd hope the AI would smart enough to say "**** - soz about TK!" but I guess not. I was going to post screenshots of it in that other thread. May do later if I can be bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Inisin

Sand wrote:
    Just there I was outside...some town, Bruma maybe ... and came across the first blows in the Empire Civil War. Two Imperial Legion Foresters nailing each other with arrow fire. Went on for a while with them screaming abuse and then one of them died, and the other guy ran off chasing a deer.

I can only imagine the guards genocidal pogrom against Bambi must have been interupted by a careless arrow hitting a comrade. Youd hope the AI would smart enough to say "**** - soz about TK!" but I guess not. I was going to post screenshots of it in that other thread. May do later if I can be bothered.

That one has been reported by a few people on the TES fourms. It looks like an event triggered when you enter the area. A few people have said it looks like the guards where hunting the same deer and got pissed at each other for it but civil war? Is that futher down the plot (and worthy of a spoiler?)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Sand

it looks like the guards where hunting the same deer and got pissed at each other for it but civil war? Is that futher down the plot (and worthy of a spoiler?)

Doubt it, if there is a civil war in the plotline its news to me. I was only referring to the weirdness of two Imperial troopers trying to kill each other. I took it as an oddity or the inevitable result of clashing simple AIs, not a scripted story event. I have noticed that the Imperials have an intense hatred of our four legged furry doe eyed friends and will execute them with extreme prejudice. I have entered the area prior to this without seeing any messing, so I can only assume the nearby deer was the catalyst - and victim. (Either theres two different guard AIs - maybe one of the guards tagged the deer as hostile, and the second tagged it as a victim of criminal assault by the first guard - or a stray arrow hit one of the guards)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Sand wrote:

Yeah, I experienced this too in the middle of the night. Saw an Imperial Legion Forester shooting at something so I hopped off the horse to give him a hand, and was pretty surprised when I ran over to find another Forester.
    Hopped back on the horse and left them to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Dam I haven't seen any of that, what I do find funny is watching the first thieves guild fence sneaking around in the town, its really a funny walk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

Anytime the Blades come up against a crab. It's weird to see a guy in completely hard ass armour and with a katana bigger than himself go nuts over a crab.

The crab can be a mile away and they'll all of a sudden flip out and go completely berserk. They start shouting "For the Emperor!!!" and "Why won't you die!!!" at the crab.
    However because the crabs scuttle to the side and the katana is a thin weapon, this can go on for a minute with the Blade guy getting angrier and angrier.
    After they defeat it they'll say something like "That was close!".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

For some reason everytime I had to go to jail to pay a fine, when I came out, 3 members of the Fighters Guild I'd helped on a mission were standing outside.
    Then, after doing a mission in a mine with guards (won't say more to not spoil) some of those guards were waiting outside also.
    Needless to say the two groups didnt get along and started a big melee.
    The guards come running and join in too, so at one stage there was about 15 NPCs killing each other while I stood back, watched and raided the dead bodies =)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Its happened a few times that if I got into a street brawl, members of the mage's guild would pile in on my side, even against the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

After a bit of ruin raiding I fast travelled back to Anvil but forgot to take off the Gray Fox' Cowl, I got about 5 feet before I was attacked by the gaurds. At this stage my character can easily murder an entire city (well, I was bored and tested the theory earlier) but didn't want to waste time fighting so i ran and went invisible. After about 30 seconds or so I took off the Cowl and walked back to the center of town and all seemed back to normal until a Beggar woman came sprinting past with about 4 gaurds cursing and chasing after her. I guess since I'd maxed my disposition with most of them during various thieves guild quests she'd decided to help me fight. It looked like a medieaval Monty Python sketch. She gave them a good run for their money, took about 20 seconds or so for them to finish the job. Sleep in piece Unwashed Hanah, sleep in peace....

Oi, spoilers please.
    Didn't know about no grey fox cowl!

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote:
    Oi, spoilers please.
    Didn't know about no grey fox cowl!

What???? its class, get your hands on it pronto

I havn't finished the
    thieves guild quest yet,
    and I've stopped playing oblivion for now so it'll have to wait

Zillah wrote:
    I havn't finished the
    thieves guild quest yet,
    and I've stopped playing oblivion for now so it'll have to wait

whoa Zillah man get back on the saddle mate, its class. Final mission of the thieves guild is one of my faves from the whole game

Are you studying for exams or something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Pretty soon we'll just have to put ingrained spoiler tags on any post. The topic was specifically about situations in the game, technically they are ALL spoilers (The ones you already know about may be spoilers to someone else, no matter how trivial). It's obviously implied by the title, putting the tags in would be redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

the 1 thing i hate about the AI is when the guards are doing missions with you and they keep getting in your way... ends up me having to kill them to get them out of the way.. because if you hit them too many times they start attacking you.. best to just finish them off early on and do the quest on your own :D especially happens in 1 quest where you have to rescue some non-guards in an oblivion gate... i wont give anymore details ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

It took a while to find this thread. Thought it was in the Oblivion forum hehe. So here it goes:
    I was doing the stuff the get the Anvil recommendation. Took a nap in the inn, woke up in the morning & waited till sunset so i can safely travel ;) . Then I started to walk through Kvatch with those 2 battlemages just behind me. Nothing out of ordinary so far. On the path however I bumped into a couple of imperial soldiers... One of them was sorta pissed off as the bad guys from an Oblivion gate killed his horse.
    Just around these guys the mean mage appears (those who did the quest know what i am talking about). Everything as expected, she attacks me. The funny part begins only now.
    One of the imperial soldiers (the one with the dead horse) helps me out in beating the bad mage. While the other climbs down from the horse and starts kicking the mages that were trying to come in my support.
    Funny thing, after I finished off Caminaldo (the bad mage) and I noticed the guard and Arielle (the good mage) fighting so I entered a conversation with her. The fight stopped for a second, she thanked me for the help and then they nicely continued kicking each other till Arielle dropped dead.

Duras wrote:
    It took a while to find this thread. Thought it was in the Oblivion forum hehe. So here it goes:
    I was doing the stuff the get the Anvil recommendation. Took a nap in the inn, woke up in the morning & waited till sunset so i can safely travel ;) . Then I started to walk through Kvatch with those 2 battlemages just behind me. Nothing out of ordinary so far. On the path however I bumped into a couple of imperial soldiers... One of them was sorta pissed off as the bad guys from an Oblivion gate killed his horse.
    Just around these guys the mean mage appears (those who did the quest know what i am talking about). Everything as expected, she attacks me. The funny part begins only now.
    One of the imperial soldiers (the one with the dead horse) helps me out in beating the bad mage. While the other climbs down from the horse and starts kicking the mages that were trying to come in my support.
    Funny thing, after I finished off Caminaldo (the bad mage) and I noticed the guard and Arielle (the good mage) fighting so I entered a conversation with her. The fight stopped for a second, she thanked me for the help and then they nicely continued kicking each other till Arielle dropped dead.

exact same thing happened to my housemate. I was watching him play amd when all hell broke loose the guards slaughtered the battle mages helping him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i was doing a thives guild mission where i had to return the arch mages (me at this stage) staff back to another mage when he notices me and chases after me and so i run out the door when the city guard start peppering him with arrows, he looked like a pin cushion at the end and because i didn't kill him i didnt get penalised

superfly wrote:
    i was doing a thives guild mission where i had to return the arch mages (me at this stage) staff back to another mage when he notices me and chases after me and so i run out the door when the city guard start peppering him with arrows, he looked like a pin cushion at the end and because i didn't kill him i didnt get penalised

he got back up right? Cos he is kinda important if doing other missions

eh no!
    the arch mage wasn't killed because i'm the arch mage at this stage, it was some other mage who had left the guild

• Advertisement

superfly wrote:
    eh no!
    the arch mage wasn't killed because i'm the arch mage at this stage, it was some other mage who had left the guild

phew was worried incase you killed the arch mage and then couldn't progress up the ranks in the mage's guild

no just some poor schleb, this game is evil to the old npc's

There is a house in Skingrad packed with ghosts, skeletons and stuff... I broke into the house and got all the bad guys chasing me... The fun part started on the streets where the random folks around started to fight the monsters... After a while they started to flee but the guards appeared.
    Two of the guards started to fight eachother for some reason and they didn't stop til one of them dropped dead.
    Anarchy ruled the streets of Skingard for a good while as I was only a spectator to the fights... Unfortunately the crazy dude, Glathir, was one of the casualties and I never managed to finish his quest. Did any of u guys do it? Was it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

It's ok. Nothing earth shattering

I checked the Ninrol (not sure the exact spelling) ruins and found some nice interesting AI moments. A couple of marauders fighting some skeleton guardian and a very good one: a dog fighting a rat... A nice show, both animals jumping around and biting eachother. The dog wan, of course, and there is where I came up with this idea: why can't you have your own dog?? I did some search for "pet mods", found one that seems ok. Will let you guys know if it is any good and where to get it from next time I have time to play Oblivion.

Duras wrote:
    I checked the Ninrol (not sure the exact spelling) ruins and found some nice interesting AI moments. A couple of marauders fighting some skeleton guardian and a very good one: a dog fighting a rat... A nice show, both animals jumping around and biting eachother. The dog wan, of course, and there is where I came up with this idea: why can't you have your own dog?? I did some search for "pet mods", found one that seems ok. Will let you guys know if it is any good and where to get it from next time I have time to play Oblivion.

Its a class idea. I saw one of the early trailers and instantly said "can you have a pet dog follow you around" it would be class, he could have little ruck sacks to carry loot and give him a few magic spells to defend himself and you.

This game has so much potential if only i could write/ use mods

Not sure if I mentioned it before, but some ruins I was exploring were filled with an entire tribe of goblins having a huge battle with the resident skeletons. Why, I do not know, maybe they liked that place...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

In that quest where you must kill the vampire hunters around one of the smaller cities. I had to get one of them in the middle of the city and there was guards patroling everywhere, so I took a chance and fired a long range shot at him. For some reason he attacked a woman who was right next to him and then all the gaurds attacked him. I couldnt stop laughing :D

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    In that quest where you must kill the vampire hunters around one of the smaller cities. I had to get one of them in the middle of the city and there was guards patroling everywhere, so I took a chance and fired a long range shot at him. For some reason he attacked a woman who was right next to him and then all the gaurds attacked him. I couldnt stop laughing :D

Class, that's like tapping someone on the shoulder and they turn around and punch the guy next to you.

I am getting back into this game this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

In the mission where you have to kill the pirate captain, I must have swam under the boat or something to trigger off the pirates, because they went into attack mode and started freaking out, but the nearest thing to them was a imperial guard who easily cut them down while I watched. Nice.

Advertisement