Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Blogger' had to pay damages for defamation -- Boards?

Options
  • 11-04-2006 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

here's a link for ye: http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single6290

It was on the radio and so on today, and it's being highlighted that just because you're posting in a blog under the guise of an anonymous name doesn't mean that you're exempt from defamation, etc, laws.

So if you've got a blog and you start saying that George Bush makes love to ponies in his spare time, then the owner of the site can be ordered to give up your IP and your ISP can be ordered to give your details (and you'll then be held accountable for your words).

Assuming I'm understanding it correctly, this has serious implications does it not, for boards.ie, and similar message board sites? Surely it's the same principle/law. Would I be right in that?

And this also reminds me of a thread made a while ago called 'Are We Real?' in which the discussion was had about if I start saying things about the user 'Hagar', eg. that he steals television sets and turns them into bombs, then can I be held accountable for that? Bearing in mind (a) that it's online, but in light of the recent discussion about blogs that would probably not be relevent, and (b) that I am spreading rumours about 'Hagar' as opposed to his real name; but if I knew his real name and spread rumours about that could I be sued?

So basically,
    Does this recent discussion, re:online defamation through blogs, mean that we'll have to watch what we say on boards from now on? (for fear of being sued rather than of hullabuloo banning us ;))

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

You obviously haven't tasted my ban stick. You'd prefer to be sued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

*backs away*

:p

But on a serious note, you're a bit of a legal mind, is this at all relevent to boards?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I think it is relevant - never make a public statement that you're not willing to back up with facts and logic.

And didn't you say a lot more about Hagar than just accusing him of stealing T.V.s? ;) (something about a dog named Roger? :D )

Spreading rumours with malice can be both defamation and malicious injury (am I right?)

At the end of the day, just don't say anything that you know to be untrue/think is possibly untrue (and defamatory!).

In fact, to be completely safe, don't say anything at all! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

So if you've got a blog and you start saying that George Bush makes love to ponies in his spare time...
    AFAIK, under the current defamation laws in Ireland, the onus would be on GW Bush to prove that he doesn't. I'd personally love to see that!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Well, the first person I banned from this forum was banned primarily because he defamed certain members of our government. I wouldn't have met out the penalty had it not been a serious offence.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054893483

Both the poster and Boards.ie Ltd. are potentially liable for any defamatory comment posted on this website. It's governed by the same laws as any other medium, and damages are potentially much heavier as the internet reaches so many people (and especially since boards gets returned in the first few pages of almost every google search now)!

We have to try to commute the offence, which is why there are moderators who can edit posts and ban users for these sorts of things. We don't just do it because of some sort of personal vendetta against society as a whole. Or for the power trip. Or because of differences of opinion. By showing that we removed material immediately, and also that it got a certain number of hits etc. we can limit our liability somewhat.

Realistically, this is probably one of the safest fora from boards.ie Ltd's point of view, because there are two mods here with legal knowledge who can recognise potential liabilities for boards as they arise, and deal with them. On other boards, people might not recognise the likes of defamation as quickly, or may not realise the implications of it.

That said, many of the other moderators are well able to recognise dodgy material, and will air on the side of caution for the most part and just delete it.

Luckily, the matter hasn't ever arisen for us yet, so it remains to be seen what outcomes there might be, but to answer your original question: yes, boards, and the user can be held liable, just as anyone else can.

• Advertisement

We don't just do it because of some sort of personal vendetta against society as a whole. Or for the power trip. Or because of differences of opinion.
    They're just the perks.

Generally speaking, both parties would be liable, but Boards LTD. would be an easier target to hit in a defamation case.

Defamation aside, could one sue Boards for resulting damages of clicking a on.****.org link?

I think the effects of that link are too u****ortant to have any remedy in the court system. Who's going to sue for that? Making sure you don't click these links is pretty much internet users should be aware of.

There were threats! :D

On a serious note, what if it were a link that did cause more substantial damage?

I'm not aware of any precedents on the issue. To be honest, I don't think it's something that has been considered on a large scale yet.

Presumably there would be some right to recover if the damage warranted it. If it was a virus that wiped a hard disk, and there had been valuable information on it, then yes, I'd imagine there'd be a case.

Does posting a link to an external site constitutes 'republishing' content? (Not solely in this context. ex:
    If not, how can there be class actions in the States against search engines for Torrents,etc. ?)

I'm inclined to believe (In the EU at least) Boards would be classed as a "Mere conduit”...? (And subsequently not liable.)

• Advertisement

No, it's not a mere conduit. The directive you're talking about (which classifies these things) is Directive 2000/31/EC and it defines the following ISP categories:
    • “Mere conduit” essentially means providing no more than a telephonic network. A service provider who falls within the definition of a “mere conduit” is given immunity and will not be liable for damages or for any criminal sanction as a result of any transmission of information.

• “Caching”. ISPs often keep temporary copies of web pages on their servers so that users can access them more quickly. This kind of “automatic, immediate and temporary storage of information … for the sole purpose of making more efficient onward transmission of the information” will not render an ISP liable for defamatory statements contained in the cached pages. However, such immunity is lost where the ISP does not act quickly to remove a copy of a page when they are aware that the original page has been removed or that its removal has been ordered by a court.

• “Hosting” is the storage of information provided by subscribers. Large companies and organizations are their own hosts, but the sites of small to medium sized organizations and personal web-pages, blogs and discussion board sites will tend to be hosted by an ISP. Under the regulations, hosts are given an immunity from libel liability, which can be lost where a host is aware of defamatory content and fails to act expeditiously to remove or block the offending content.
    Boards would more than likely fall into the "caching" category (it wouldn't appear to be a "hosting" ISP because the hosting body is Hostings365). Thus, it won't be liable, once the material is removed quickly, but will be otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

So would hosting365 be liable for something defamatory on boards.ie?

No, hostings aren't liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

What about search engines? Are they liable for finding defamatory material and publishing it for the whole world to see?

That's an interesting question. It would seem unfair to hold a search engine liable. I suppose the proximity argument would come into play here. A search engine is hardly proximate enough to the publication to be held liable for it. There may also be a defence for innocent publication.

It's easy to speculate on defamation and the correct application of defamation laws, but realistically, it's impossible to fully guage outcomes in the courts because defamation cases are heard by a jury. It seems that lawyers, let alone laypersons, have extreme difficulty in evaluating the laws on defamation, so results can be perverse (eg Reynolds v Mallocco).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Karoma wrote:
    AFAIK, under the current defamation laws in Ireland, the onus would be on GW Bush to prove that he doesn't. I'd personally love to see that!

The other way around actually. You have to prove he does, if he sues you.

Only if you rely on the defence of Fair comment, otherwise the burden of proof is on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Here is a google image search for "Terry Smith". As you can see, there are lots of different Terry Smiths in the world. How can that one Terry Smith proove that he was the Terry Smith being defamed? Take my name for example, when I put it into google in between " ", I'm the only one who turns up, would things be different if my name was being used?

There is also a lot being said about requesting material to be removed, if it is removed, can the blogger or website owner still face penalty?

If a post was made slating some guy called "John Smith" and was intended for one John Smith, but only "John Smith" was said, nothing about address etc, and I got a complaint from the actual "John Smith" who was being referred to, and it put me in a legal situation, could I ring up a random John Smith from the telephone book and ask them would they have a problem with this particular thing being said about them, and if they say no, I could say I was talking about them? Personally I know a few people with "famous names", how would this hold up?

Ah, this is where the court uses a neat legal trick called brains. It's usually fairly obvious who someone is talking about in a defamation case. In fact, it has never been raised as a defence in a defamation case. "Aw, I was actually talking about the other Bono there, your honour".

If it's unclear who the publisher is talking about, using your example "John Smith", well then no one would be able to claim because it would be impossible to say that any damage had been done. I've a fairly republican name, and a number of my namesakes have been connected with various bombings in the past few decades, but it would be ridiculous for me to try to sue a newspaper for printing that someone with the same name as me had "bombed London in 1984", wouldn't it.

Ok, so take my website for example, we have an active forum and there is always the possibility of somebody slating a poker player with a name that just also happens to be the name of a poker player who's quite famous in the poker world. Of course, it's far more likely somebody would make a post about a famous player than a random player, but how can they proove it was about the famous player? I mean, in the above case, a Terry Smith (very common name) resulted in 2.5 million payments, which the average blogger and even site owner would have to work the rest of their lives to pay that back, would it not be more worth their while to try and proove that they could have been talking about anyone?

How about the other thing of removing the content even though it was published in the first place? If it's removed is it all ok?

• Advertisement

If it isn't clear which "Terry Smith" is being talked about, then I can't imagine how a court could indict, but because it's a jury that decides, anything is possible.

It depends on how quickly you remove material. I'd imagine the best way of dealing with that question is if it comes to your attention that something is potentially libelous, then remove it immediately, without thinking about it. It's utterly no use to say, "ah, I left it up because I wasn't sure about it".

The court may look at how many hits the page got in assessing the damages to be paid. If only one or two people saw it, it might be ok, whereas if thousands of people saw it, you'd have a hard job saying that no damage was done.

In terms of poker.ie/boards.ie being the publisher of what is in the forums, do disclaimers have any grounds? Can it be said that publishing rights and responsibilites will be given to each user upon registration and anything they say will be the responsibility of that person?

Also, what if you can't afford the penalty? would "mynameandmyforumname.com" have a less severe penalty than "VeryBigPopularForumOnAVeryBigAndRichCompaniesWebsite.com" if the same material was posted, even if both material got the same amount of views, but because one company is worth far far more than the other, would that be sued for more do you reckon?

Is there a transcript of what was actually said about Terry Smith anywhere I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Hmmm, reckon I 'd be in trouble for anything here http://blog.myspace.com/roryface, did but a disclaimer bit on my profile

Advertisement