Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-04-2006, 17:16   #1
Your Man

Gaeltachts

Currently in 5th year and lookin for a good gaeltacht...i know im leavin it fairly late but does anyone know a good one?
Advertisement
10-04-2006, 21:12   #2
Zapp Brannigan

Coláiste Lurgan. they're strict and you'll come out of it with very good irish.
10-04-2006, 23:57   #3
Azureus

colasite yeosaimh-youll learn loads and really enjoy yourself there.
do not go to colaiste phiarsaigh.
11-04-2006, 20:24   #4
Seán Mac

If you want to stay near the dublin area go to Ráth Cairn (county meath), very good gaeltacht and well organised.

If outside leinster go to a Donegal one. Donegal (in my opinion) Irish is the best canúint! It is the hardest to learn and that's why you would have an advantage in the listening test for the Northern dialect. Try Coláiste Bhríde. Coláiste Phairsaigh isnt that great.. too easy. Coláiste na nOileáin is good too. Give me a pm if u want more info. I go to school in the gaeltacht! know a bit.
11-04-2006, 21:23   #5
brid_m

Hi, i went to colaiste Chiarian in Donegal last year, had a great time, and learnt more irish than i thought i did!!! Its on the very northern coast of Donegal. Its not very strict, just make a bit of an effort ta speak irish and you'l be grand!
Advertisement
11-04-2006, 21:37   #6
Kwekubo

If it's anything like it was four years ago when I went, don't go to Coláiste Columba in an Cheathrú Rua in Galway. To be fair, I had fun and learned some Irish, but by comparison it was a tip.
12-04-2006, 16:24   #7
Zapp Brannigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureus
do not go to colaiste phiarsaigh.
Coláiste Phiarsaigh is great, not for Irish though. When I went there I didnt speak a word of Irish. I just had the best time ever.
Thanks from:
12-04-2006, 22:04   #8
Muiriosa

In my opinion, Coláiste Chiarain in Cheathrú Rua in Galway is brilliant. I learned loads there and had a cracking time. It's a really good college with good facilities and beaches near by. You'll be guaranteed to have a good time there. There are another two colaistes in Cheathrú Rua but be sure to go to COLAISTE CHIARAIN - it's the best in the west!

Go n-eirí leat!
12-04-2006, 22:21   #9
caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muiriosa
In my opinion, Coláiste Chiarain in Cheathrú Rua in Galway is brilliant. I learned loads there and had a cracking time. It's a really good college with good facilities and beaches near by. You'll be guaranteed to have a good time there. There are another two colaistes in Cheathrú Rua but be sure to go to COLAISTE CHIARAIN - it's the best in the west!

Go n-eirí leat!
I went there last summer, it was brilliant. The best three weeks ever, i wish i could go back. I learned a bit too
Advertisement
12-04-2006, 22:21   #10
ApeXaviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurms
Coláiste Lurgan. they're strict and you'll come out of it with very good irish.
Ah yes, my old alma mater. If you ever hear them going mad about hash or drugs I'd like to say that it was my house (not me personally) that was the cause of all that kerfuffle. Was there 3 times, a cinnire the last time. Definitely gave me good Irish that sticks with me to this day. Recently went and got my gold fáinne there in college. Didn't help me in the leaving cert though. (Now maybe I'm dyslexic in irish or something but) I only got a B2 in pass irish and I'd say that was mostly on the strength of my oral.
13-04-2006, 21:23   #11
katiegordon

i was thinking about going to colaiste phiarsaigh,but frm wat yas are saying it doesnt sound too great!!i want to have a laugh butid be willing to put in an effort too!!!
14-04-2006, 20:16   #12
exiot

Send a message via MSN to exiot
I went to Coláiste Laichtín Naofa in 2nd year, didnt learn much as I knew more than the 4th Years did in the ole' Irish.
07-05-2007, 14:00   #13
JuliusCaesar

Any info on Colaiste Laichtin Naofa, Colaiste Chiarain, Colaiste na nOilean, Colaiste Isliomain all Conemara.
Do they stream people into classes of similar abilities? My Irish is pretty good cos I went to a primary gaelscoil. Is it ok to go on my own? Noone from my school wants to go. It's my first time - any warnings or advice?
07-05-2007, 14:13   #14
Steve01

You're looking for a Gaeltacht where people actually speak Irish every now and then? Stay away from An Rinn. Its a Shamtacht if ever I saw one.
07-05-2007, 14:28   #15
yurmothrintites

Ive been in Coláiste Sheosamh in Carna/Cill Chiarain 3 times and I learned SO much irish there and made a load of new friends. The teachers are brilliant as well and there is a load of craic at the ceilis!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion