Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-03-2006, 14:39   #16
monument

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_syco
Yea. And who would pay for them? Us. And how? Tax's. No doubt stealth tax's.
They'd proberly have a new name for them, but it'd be the same thing.
I'm sure in part by not building at least as many new roads.
Advertisement
27-03-2006, 14:59   #17
Beekeeper
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Is there a factory or mine at Kingscourt? When did the railway line close?
27-03-2006, 15:17   #18
MarkoP11

Line closed 2001 Irish Cement went to road haulage as it was cheaper and didn't go on strike like IE

There was a gypsum mine of some kind there

Kingscourt is another dead end station

Folks need to calm down all this talk of Cavan and Derry is a way too far given the chances for the line to Navan its on the extermely long finger. As was posted earlier the costings seem to vary wildly differences as to add or remove a 0 on end of the cost figure

Last time I checked Derry to Dublin has a rail service (and man it needs help to keep it in place), it requires 1 change and its the fastest rail route that has existed between the two cities
28-03-2006, 02:19   #19
Zebra3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoP11
Last time I checked Derry to Dublin has a rail service (and man it needs help to keep it in place), it requires 1 change and its the fastest rail route that has existed between the two cities
Ever get the train from Belfast to Derry? Shocking experience.
Thanks from:
28-03-2006, 03:00   #20
John R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra3
Ever get the train from Belfast to Derry? Shocking experience.
Exactly, the line is in bits and the rolling stock is ropey.

The Derry-Belfast line has been very close to being closed several times over the past few decades. As late as last year there were real doubts over it's viability.

Given that a functional working line with reasonable traffic is struggling to survive how the hell do you think a brand new construction with limited market potential could be a possibility?

There is far too much fantasy railway planning on these boards. The reality is that there are not many inter-city routes in Ireland that can come close to supporting operational costs never mind the astronomical input for a new build.

Commuter services to/from Dublin is the only area where the requirement and benefit is high enough to justify new lines.

Inter-urban services can in many cases be better served by road transport at a tiny fraction of the cost of rail operations.
Advertisement
28-03-2006, 10:13   #21
BrianD
Closed Account

Well there is economic sense in building a rail line to Navan (50km in length?) given that Dublin is going to expand northwards at a faster rate than other directions. The construction of the M3, N2 and the existing M1 can only imply that that stated objective is massive development within the north Leinster region.
29-03-2006, 13:00   #22
D'Peoples Voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavanJunction1
According to the Green Party leader, Navan would already have a rail link if Green Party was in power)

If ministers had taken the Green's advice and switched the spending ratio around, there would already be a Western rail corridor linking Limerick, Galway, Sligo and Cork.
Is this the same Green Party who opposed Dublin turning into what they called a doughnut city? If so, one could argue they are contradicting themselves to a degree.
Assume Dublin had fewer surburbs, and less people moved to Navan,
likewise in the west, more people lived in Galway city rather than around around it and long the WRC, then we wouldn't need these rail links the Green party speaks of.
The green party have been saying for years that we should not be building out from the cities, but should be increasing their population density. I agree. Because if we did this, then we wouldn't need the rail links they say we need.
But they say they would have built them by now, which by definition suggests they would not have been against the idea of moving people out from the city or it means they would be all for running unviable services!
29-03-2006, 21:52   #23
monument

I’m inclined to believe you’re smarter then you’re trying to make out you are.

The rail services to the suburbs are needed now because the idea of higher population density in Dublin was ignored in the past.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion