Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Ghosts - What are your experiences?

• 27-02-2006 11:57pm

Ok, I know this is going to be filled with sceptics, saying they don't exist, but I personally believe they do. Mainly because I have experienced them my whole life, and have seen them before.

Years ago in my old house I would be in bed. It was a bungallow and all the rooms were close enough each other. I would always hear the footsteps in the hall, yet there would never be a door opening, or closing. Not only that but I can remember slightly hearing things whispering to me (and before someone says it, no, not telling me to burn down things).

A while afterwards we move out of that house, and I go to America for a holiday by myself. I go to San Diego, to Old Town San Diego where I find this house-cum-museum called the Whaley House. Sounds interesting enough. So I walk in, pass into a room. It was a kitchen, with a table in the middle and chairs all around. In the corner of the room was another chair, and as I walked in there was the flash of a woman sitting there, before vanishing. There were other people in that room, and yet only I saw her
    So I go upstairs, slightly unnerved by what I saw and into a master bedroom that had been converted into a small theatre. I sit down, chatting to one of the people that work there, basically about Ireland, and my own personal experiences with ghosts. In walks this woman. Pale. Long white gown. Walking slowly. The room seems so.. tense. She walks over to me. Stands in front of me and stares. Then she vanishes. I'm the only one who saw her. Only afterwards did I realise that Whaley House is officially recognised as being a Haunted House.

Shortly after that, I was back in Ireland, and living in rented accomodation with other students. Its close to midnight. I'm in that phase in between being awake and being asleep. I'm drifting off to sleep. Something blows in my ear. But I can't feel any wind. I could definately hear sound. Really close to my ear. But no sound. There was nobody else in the room. I am not sure if it was the same night, or a different night, but one of the girls in the house came down around midnight to see every press in the kitchen wide open. Nobody had come down. Everybody swore it was like that when they went to bed.

Well thats some of my experiences, what are other peoples?

Edit
    Sorry for long-ish post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

nice post bab (better than typing ur name). This is the type of post this forum needs. And btw if you dont want people coming in slating it just state that its a topic for believes to share.

Heres one of mine.

I was working in a small factory of sorts in an oldish part of dublin. I was there on my own one night which was not that unusual with the hours i did. I have to say that at this stage i was used to experiencing alot of different things but never felt anything in this place.

I was standing at the kettle which was against one wall with two large machine behind me and alot of stacks of paper. Its a noisey place at the best of times even when no one is there. next thing a male maybe 17-20 walked by me coming from what is now a toilet, he came through the door not the wall, as he walked past me he turned his head and looked straight at me. I smiled lightly and closed my eyes and bowed\nodded my head slowly. when i open my eyes (was only a second) i looked around and saw him dissapear behind one of the machines.

He wasnt the friendliest but there was nothing off about him. He wasnt a typical 17ish year old in that he had the presence of someone older, like how maybe 60 years ago a guy would be married and have a few years work behind him at 20.

He wasnt see though, and was quite a solid form but there was something either blurry about him or possibly it could be discribed as there not being a strong contrast in the tones of his form.

Anyway thats one of mine.

Lets hope more people share.

Cheers bab for starting that thread and i hope you stick around here in paranormal.

6th

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I know this is going to be filled with sceptics, saying they don't exist

Correction! Cynics will say they don't exist, sceptics will ask interesting questions so we all get a better understanding! :p

The closest I've come is to hear some unexplained whistling in the basement of Charleville castle...which is far from conclusive I know...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭p2kone

this is as true as god!

in an estate in westmeath their was a girl renting a room out in the town and one night she was woken up by a girl with long hair looking through her wardrobe, the girl froze in the bed said nothing that night.

the next morning she was talking to the landloard and was asking about a girl with long hair etc ... turns there was a girl a few months back renting that room who died in a swiming accident !!!

she promptly moved out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

one night my ma's claddagh ring went missing out of the blue and she had had it in her jewlery box..

only my parents and my dad's twin brother where in the house..

so my ma thought right it was the brother ya know...

anyway my uncle killed himself a few years later

my ma woke up one night after feeling a draft or something and the ring was sittin on the same jewelry box that it had been stolen from!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭Archeron

Travelling home on a Bus Eireann bus one night (last bus home, would have been about 9pm ish). Sitting at the very front of the bus, on the passenger side. The seat behind the driver was empty, except it wasnt. When I wasnt looking directly at the seat (in other words, when I looked straight ahead, but could see the seat throught the corner of my eye) there was a kind of older woman, about 55/60 years old sitting there smiling to herself. She looked very kindly, and very much like she was enjoying the journey, and didnt come across as threatening in any way. Every time i looked directly at her, she wasnt there, but everytime i looked ahead, I could see her perfectly. I wasnt drunk, and i was watching her for about an hour of the journey before i got off the bus. Left me with a weird feeling. I thought maybe it was a person who used like to take bus journeys.

Another time, i spotted a young girl outside the local church in my town. Dressed in really olden days school outfit.(called a gaberdine maybe? Like the cloths the girls out of that "St Trinnians" film wore) Seen her a total of about three times, just standing there outside the church.She always was a bit of a distance away, but she always gave off a feeling of utter misery. One night, I was talking to a friend of mine as we were walking past the place where I seen her standing. At the place (outside a church, and there is a pelican crossing there as well, the type with the orange ball light that flashes on and off). As I was talking about her, and describing her, I walked past the flashing light and the flipping thing exploded right beside me. The globe didnt break, but a huge crack noise came out of it, and the light just stopped immediately. That episode did freak me out.
    Theres been a couple of other episodes as well, but I dont want to bore ye:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

From talking to alot of people over the years and a couple of experiences myself it seems to be very common to see spirits on forms of transport. I suppose itt makes alot of sense seeing as we spend so much of our time geeting from one place to another.

I had a woman sit down beside me on a bus, i saw her out of the corner of my eye and took my bag off the seat beside me. I felt her sitdown and smelt her (i notice smells alot), I even felt her touching off my arm. I took no notice coz theres nothing weird with having someone sit beside you on a bus. When my stop was coming up i turned to her slightlly and said sorry, she looked at me smiled and dissappeared in front of my eyes. I got the same smell for the next couple of days very strong.

I've had a fair few experiences and wish i wasnt in work so i could tell you them all.

6th

dublin6th wrote:

I've had a fair few experiences and wish i wasnt in work so i could tell you them all.

6th
    Sure post them as you get a chance. I've a few more to post as well, so as I have time over the next couple of days. I'm always fascinated to hear other peoples stories.

Yeah I'll put them on as and when. I really should have them all written down. I think I'll put them on here then list all 19ish on my website.

This is the kind of thread that could go on for ages ... which is a good thing!

6th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Great thread, really enjoying reading about everyones experiences.
    I've had a lot of experiences, mainly sounds and smells of things out of the blue. I've only ever seen ghosts twice. When I was a child a little boy used to come and stand by my bed, he was dressed like he was from the 1800's and then the other time was when I was really ill and went to open my bedroom door and saw all the people that I had known that had died waiting outside the door for me, it was really bright and they were all dressed in white.. I knew that if I left the room I'd never come back again so I went back to my bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Wow that was freaky magnumlady,

Well I got a story to tell too. This didnt actually happen to me but I heard about it one night about 4am because I was in the same room :eek:.

My sister was the second eldest in our house she was about 8 years young at the time. It was the 1980's and billy jean was playing on the radio lol j/k, and we lived in a housing estate in Crumlin. We weren't very well off at the time (well who was in the 1980's) and we lived in a 2 bedroomed house, the 5 of us kids at shared a bedroom.

Anyway one night my sister awoke screaming and crying it was about 5 minuters later before my parents and us kids calmed down a bit because it startled us all.

When we eventually asked what was bothering her she said she seen an eldery man standing at the end of her bed pulling her by her feet slowly out of the bed. She described him wearing blue and white stripey pj's and having pure white hair and red evil eyes and he was grining at her! :v:.

Since that night she slept with the parents for a few weeks. A few months later we discovered an eldery man died in the house.

• Advertisement

magnumlady wrote:
    Great thread, really enjoying reading about everyones experiences.
    I've had a lot of experiences, mainly sounds and smells of things out of the blue. I've only ever seen ghosts twice. When I was a child a little boy used to come and stand by my bed, he was dressed like he was from the 1800's and then the other time was when I was really ill and went to open my bedroom door and saw all the people that I had known that had died waiting outside the door for me, it was really bright and they were all dressed in white.. I knew that if I left the room I'd never come back again so I went back to my bed.

Wow! How did you feel during this when you saw the people and the light? Was it a sense of peace like so many people say or something else? My gran spoke of something like this as she was dying in hospital. She seemed delerious, and started speaking to her husband who had died about 50 years previous. She said she could see bright light in front of her, and minutes later she had passed on. Someone told me that this is known as dying from the feet up which is quite rare, but aside from books, I've never known anyone else to experience this. Were you calm or terrified?

I was very calm, and really at peace. I can still see the image now, it was so clear, because of this I wouldn't be afraid of dying. I saw relatives that had died before I was even born and it was just like they had come to get me but it was really clear in my mind that if I left my room then there was no going back.
    Another strange thing that happened was I ended up in hospital and they managed to remove the blood clot and when I came around my mum told me that her cousin had died the same night from a blood clot. I don't know if that is just a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thats a great story magnumlady! Its good to hear positive experiences not just stuff that scared the crap out of somebody! I love hearing about stuff like this! I've had a few experiences like this myself. Mine are more like feelings - I feel a presence but usually try to get away/distract myself before I have to face it/or a think about something out of the blue eg - I was thinking about my cousins little girl one morning - i'd only met her once and she tripped up and somebody commented on how she's always falling. Anyhoos I'm in the shower one morning and that pops into my mind. I got home from work and heard that she'd fallen into a bath of hot water and scalded herself - she's fine now btw.. My sister died when I was little and sometimes I think I feel a presence - in or around the room where she died but it kind of scares me..I've never spoken to my family about it for fear of upsetting somebody...

tk I'm really sorry to hear about your sister. I'm sure when you feel her presence she is around. If it scares you you could always ask her to leave you alone.
    My MIL used to frighten the life out of me, I used to get her perfume smell and then she'd start slamming doors and freaking the cat out, so I told her nicely that I knew she was there but not to scare me. Now I just get the smell the odd time.

magnumlady wrote:
    My MIL used to frighten the life out of me, .

What does MIL mean?

Archeron wrote:
    What does MIL mean?

Mother-in-Law, at least thats what i took it to mean.

Aah, thank you. Common sense didnt prevail for me on that one.:)

Sorry I should have written it properly, it is indeed Mother in law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I've had one or two experiences I can't explain.

One involved me staying with my cousin on all souls night. Was only in my teens and was just the two of us in the house. Went to bed (sharing a room with my cousin) and she stayed up. I woke up later, in what I figured was the middle of the night, to see her getting out of bed across the room (I'm a really light sleeper). Remember her walking out of the room, because I remember the light coming in as the door opened. I also remember not recognising her nightdress , which was long and white, and thinking her hair looked longer than normal.

Anyway, went back to sleep and was woken a second time by the doorbell. Got up, a bit confused and wandered down to open the door. Was my cousin, fully dressed (in what she had been wearing earlier). It was 3am, I asked her why she got and got dressed so later and she said she popped to her friends house across the road shortly after I went to bed and had never gone upstairs.

When I questioned my aunt the next day, she says that that is the room (and location of the bed) where her mother died. Needless to say my cousin moved her bed over to the other side of the room.

Even if I was dreaming, I'd have no reason to imagine someone I didn't recognise getting out of a bed in that area of the room. I don't think I was dreaming though, because I certainly remember it all clearly and I don't remember my dreams usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Scoops

When is all souls night?

• Advertisement

November 2nd, unless its a sunday in which case its November 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Scoops

I've never heard of it, whats the deal with it?

Google/Wiki are your friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fruitcake

anyone ever know anything about Padre Pio coming to visit someone right before they die?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

My aunt had an experience on a beach with her husband, 3 people had drowned the week previously,it was a major tragedy as you can imagine at the time.
    Anyway she was walking on the beach late one evening in the summer and it was getting dark when she saw three people walking towards them,hardly unusual and quite common, when she stepped aside a bit to avoid walking into them she said good evening............nothing and instead of the oncoming three stepping aside a bit they brushed straight through them.......my aunt and uncle froze completely, looked around eventually but nobody there.

I know alot of these stories go around when your kids and alot of them are just ghost stories but the thing i always remember was my aunt didnt like talking about it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I'm one of those persons who does not believe in spirits or ghosts. I have to state this first off.

In Edinburgh a few years ago, I went on one of those walking tours of the haunted sites. Well, to cut a long story short, we ended up in Greyfriars Kirkyard, in the tomb of one Black MacKenzie; an evil sod by all accounts.

This tomb had a rep for poltergeist and other activity. Me being the unbeliever was having a good time watching the reactions of those around me. When the tour was over I went back to the pub with a few people for a pint or three... Everyone was staring at me as soon as we got into the light. I had a long scratch down my right cheek and the beginnings of a bruise under my eye. I did not feel a thing in the tomb or anywhere along the tour.

When I got back to the hostel, much to my surprise, when I took the jeans off there was what looked like a hand print on my ankle; as if someone had gripped it real tight. It freaked me out a wee bit!!

It took weeks for the scratch and 'print' to disappear.

I have been back to the place a few times since but have had no other 'injuries', but one night I was convinced I was followed around the graveyard but could not see anything or anyone else when I turned.

Hope you don't mind an unbeliever posting, but I think it might interest you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

boneless wrote:
    Hope you don't mind an unbeliever posting, but I think it might interest you all.

Not at all :)

That was a really interesting story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭tk123

But if you don't believe in it how can you explain what happened boneless - i'm really interested in that?!!? I've tried to be an 'unbeliver' for a long time and take the sensible approach but there's lots of little things that make me a believer..well kind of.. My house for one - I'm freaked out by 3 rooms in my house - the front room, my old room and one of the bedrooms. Now in all 3 i'm a bit scared if I'm in there in the dark - I feel like i'm not alone. As mentioned earlier I had a sister who died - she died in one of the bedrooms 20+ yrs ago. To this day i'm a bit scared to go in there after dark. My nephew was staying a few years ago - he would have been abt 5ish at the time..anyhoos I was on the landing with him and we were walking by the bedroom in question, he asked me to close the door because he didnt like that room(he had no idea that somebody died in it) - that really freaked me out because he has no idea somebody died in there and when I was his age(and still now if i'm honest) I would close the door when I passed the room. In my old bedroom I'd get really bad nightmares and sleep paralisys(sp?) all the time with 'figures' coming into the room. I started calling for my mum one time when it happened and freaked her out out a bit - when I said it to her she said that her sis was babysitting for them on evening and flipped out because she thought she heard something in that room and made them come home..they moved me out of it after that! My mum's not religious at all but always says she wishes she had of gotten the house blessed when they move in - i'm tempted to ask her why but can't find the right time to bring it up....

My friend is really into ghosts etc since his brother died in an accident a few yrs ago. He's gone to mediums etc. Anyhoo one night I was in his place(we'd bought had a few drinks) and he starts showing me photos of all his family. Anyhoos he shows me one of his bro holding one of the grandkids close enough to when he died, his bro is smilling in the pic but the kid looks scared to death, he asks me do I see anything weird abt the pic, when I take a closer look there's a hand on the back of the kids neck and there was definitely NOBODY standing behind them. If that wasn't enough he tells me the room I'm sleeping in is where his grandad died and that one of his sisters has seen him a few times at the end of the bed....with that I told him I was going to go home - he really scared the crap out of me!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Samhildanach

I and my family have had lots of weird experiences - I'll start with this one:-

Our family home was built on the site of an old thatched cottage. The first day we moved into the house a little black cat appeared on our doorstep - I kept feeding it and so it became our cat, we had the cat for about 4 years then it was killed on the road, anyway about a month later another cat appeared on the doorstep (another small black cat, this one had white paws), this cat eventually disappeared (we thought it went the same way as the other cat - killed on the road) anyway 2 weeks after this cat disappears another cat appears - a brown and black cat. We all thought it was wierd ... our house just seemed to attract cats - and the cats always came to the front door and sat outside waiting for someone to open the door to it! The strange thing was that we had a dog for 10 years and it hated cats ... none of these cats were scared of the dog. So that strange thing No. 1. Now to the real story. My parent's bedroom was directly above the sitting room in a dormer style room. About 10 years ago my aunt came over from the UK with her friend for a holiday, my parents gave them their room. Sometime during the night my aunt's friend had a heart attack and died in my parent's bed. Over the next few years the cabinet (with my mother's china collection) in the sitting room directly below my parent's bed would shake or rattle, sometimes my sister would be on her own watching TV and the drawer handle would rattle like someone was trying to open it. This was always happening. Then one night my father died of a heart attack in bed (he slept on the same side as my aunt's friend the night she died). A week after my father died we were all sitting in the sitting room with some visitors and there was a huge smashing sound from the cabinet ... my mother's prize china tea pot had just exploded in front of everyone! It was so wierd - nothing else was broken just the tea pot (it had been in pristine condition before) but now it was broken in two and the spout had multiple fractures, the handle had fallen off - it looked like someone had physically smashed it. We were all really spooked.

My mum couldn't stand to stay in the house after that, it seemed to be unlucky and so we moved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

My mum couldn't stand to stay in the house after that, it seemed to be unlucky and so we moved.

I was about to ask you if you have any Asian cultural background, but then I noticed your location was "China". Its a very eastern idea that certain things or places can be "auspicious" or not, as the case may be. I think its an interesting cross cultural thing that western cultures have a habit of noting some areas as "cursed" or "haunted" and eastern cultures go for "lucky" or "auspicious". What do you mean when you say it was "unlucky"? When did these thing occur?

Advertisement