Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-02-2012, 09:07   #466
mark17

Loftus Hall was not built in the late 18th. century but the late 19th. century, approx. 1879. Therefore it would not have the protection of a national monument, in Waterford City and elsewhere during the building boom several houses were demolished which were slightly older. Whatever they preserve in Loftus Hall will be a bonus, they may have to follow guidelines but that's all.
Advertisement
20-02-2012, 09:14   #467
noddyone2

How do you 'wreck rewards'?
20-02-2012, 11:26   #468
screamer

Being a protected building means SFA, I can give you an example of a listed building in Kilkenny that was bulldozed overnight to build a commercial premises....... as to Loftus Hall, better restored modernised, than crumbling antiquity.
20-02-2012, 11:59   #469
mark17

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamer View Post
Being a protected building means SFA, I can give you an example of a listed building in Kilkenny that was bulldozed overnight to build a commercial premises....... as to Loftus Hall, better restored modernised, than crumbling antiquity.
You are correct Screamer the building is modern and restoration will keep it maintained, it's not a fantastic building either. Then there's the ghost story which is a pure farce altogether, it's not known if Anne Tottenham ever lived in the old house at Loftus Hall or Tottenham Green in Co. Wexford. On top of that her first cousin Nicholas 2nd. earl of Ely died of the same condition as Anne Tottenham, the bones fused in their bodies, and both were prone to bouts of screaming and both of them died young at 32 years of age. In the 1760's the peasantry were believers of the old pisogues and fairy stories, and a young girl with a severe disability in the "Big House" would have tongues wagging all over the area.
20-02-2012, 15:29   #470
Roache20

my mistake 19th century. Redmond Hall was knocked around 1871 to be replaced by Lofthus Hall. Its Architecture isnt of international or national standards but never the less a popular icon of the Hook.
Advertisement
20-02-2012, 21:52   #471
jingler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roache20 View Post

Is there any place where i can find out such information or is this work totally private to the owner..
l
If you have a facebook account, have a look at this page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Loftu...96157623750091

It's by the caretakers- posting updates of work undertaken etc. They seem like nice guys- maybe they could give you more info if you messaged them?
20-02-2012, 22:24   #472
Roache20

If you have a facebook account, have a look at this page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Loftu...96157623750091

Cheers Jingler, i was looking for something like this. joined a different loftus on facebook but there wasnt much actin on that page.

yeah i hear the owners a nice guy too.
Thanks from:
04-03-2012, 14:53   #473
jennie27

hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisymarshall View Post
Guess what? My name is Linda Devereux. I'm related by marriage to the late Michael Devereux who was my late father in law's brother Thomas Devereux. My husbands father. Any info wold be appreciated I have never been to Loftus Hall but my husband has many years ago.
hi linda just wondering if ur on here very much could u contact me
07-03-2012, 12:39   #474
8oyc3y

It was revealed at Hook Tourism's AGM last night.....

BREAKING: It was revealed at Hook Tourism's AGM last night that the Lighthouse has been granted €150,00.. whilst the grounds to the renowned Loftus Hall will be open to the public to explore this summer!!!!!!
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
07-03-2012, 13:21   #475
mac.the.hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan133269 View Post
it's a fascinating place alright but has anyone here ever actually experienced or seen anything out of the ordinary there? I'd love to go there aswell
Check out the Wexford Paranormal video of their Loftus Hall investigation. You can find it here and you can contact them directly through youtube or facebook

http://www.youtube.com/user/wexfordparanormal
07-03-2012, 13:31   #476
germanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8oyc3y View Post
BREAKING: It was revealed at Hook Tourism's AGM last night that the Lighthouse has been granted €150,00.. whilst the grounds to the renowned Loftus Hall will be open to the public to explore this summer!!!!!!
also theres a little write up about it on the new ross standard
02-04-2012, 09:29   #477
halmagruder

My story about Loftus Hall

Here is my story about Loftus Hall:

About 1993, my wife, 2 young daughters (around 1 and 3), and my niece (17 or 18 at the time) went down to check out the lighthouse at Hook's Head. On our way back we saw the Guiness/pub sign, and decided to head over to this cool house on the left for a quick pint and maybe a snack for the girls. The iron sign over the gate at the entrance said "Hoftus Hall", and it looked like a very interesting place.

We drove around to the back right corner of the house, and went into the bar. There were a couple of teenagers over the in corner, who kept to themselves, an elderly lady running the bar, ourselves, and a very large, gray shepherd dog laying on the floor. Other than that, it was empty. The young girls were of course interested in the dog, and the lady kept saying, "Don't touch the dog, don't touch the dog,..". After she served us our pints, we chatted a bit and she asked if we were Americans. She said they were looking at the selling the house, and was wondering if we were interested (presuming, I suppose, that all Americans were quite wealthy). We said we wouldn't be able to, but she wanted to give us a tour, so we said sure.

She led us out a door of the pub into the hallway. It was already in a state of disrepair, and the wallpaper was starting to peel, I think. We went down the hall, and then turned left and right outside a door to the outside. She said thanks, and closed the door behind us. I'm not sure if she was messing with us, but we thought it was kind of strange.
I'm pretty sure the door is the one that you can see in pictures that is at the very left side of the house at the ground level. It's been almost 20 years, so my memory may not be perfect, but that's the door that I remember. Outside the door there was this very small dog that was barking and growling at us viciously. It was a really small dog, so we ignored it and walked back around the house to our car. But it kind of caught us by surprise.

As we drove away, back to the road, my wife, niece, and I all agreed that it was the creepiest, weirdest place we had ever been. I felt like I could hear the music from the old Hammer horror film playing as we drove away. It felt very, very strange. We even joked about booking my parents there if they came to visit over Halloween time.
Anyway, we decided to stop at the Wexford tourist office and ask about this "Hoftus Hall" place. They asked us if we meant "Loftus Hall", and we realized we had mistaken the L for an H. They told us about the ghost stories.

I don't personally believe in ghosts, but none of us had any previous knowledge of the place before we went there. After we left, and before we went to the tourist office, we all agreed that it was the creepiest, weirdest place we had ever been to. The look and feel of the place is perfect for reminding you of all those horror movies you might have seen as a kid and give you a true feeling of it being haunted.

I suppose the lady behind the bar might have been Mrs. Deveraux.
It's a fun story, that I've told a few times over the years. I'm glad to see that the house is getting some attention after many years of neglect. It's a beautiful place. But also quite scary!
(2) thanks from:
02-04-2012, 11:10   #478
maccored

Send a message via Skype™ to maccored
i cant wait til this place opens to the public ... then maybe all the 'oooohhh its haunted' BS will stop.
02-04-2012, 11:13   #479
maccored

Send a message via Skype™ to maccored
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.the.hat View Post
Check out the Wexford Paranormal video of their Loftus Hall investigation. You can find it here and you can contact them directly through youtube or facebook

Unfortunately KIIs are just too unreliable. Good to see they dont use franks boxes all the same ..... actually, scratch that. 20 mins in and the franks box comes out. Talking to a radio receiver.
02-04-2012, 12:40   #480
Yeah Yeah Yeah
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.the.hat View Post

I really think that shortened versions of these videos should be considered, condensed to 3 or 4 minutes. Do we really need to watch through nearly 40 minutes to be able to have a valid opinion?

The audio at the end seems to have some validity. Im not sure about several investigators jumping in very quickly to interpret what was being said.

"Seth" does appear to be at a higher audio level and on a different frequency, a lot of the other audio IMO is radio intereference.

I'm no expert but I would recommend the investigators to hang back a bit and let audio speak for itself, allowing more space to listen, and probalby just having one person doing the discussion and the others remaining quite as far as possible. Just an observation.

The photo, well I didnt watch all of the video, but surely the photo could have been analysed a bit more.

Same with the recorded audio of "Seth", it all seems a bit superficial to me in its analysis.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion