Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork Development

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

Apologies, head must have been elsewhere.
    I meant, of course, the Capitol and Central Shoe Stores development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

evie wrote:

i heard IKEA are moving in there ;)

Are you sure? Generally, IKEA go for suburb locations, more parking, cheaper rent/land etc.
    Would be fantastic though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

ah i was only joking!!
    the old "empire" is safe for now evie!

but on a related note, I was listening to the radio and they were saying in big cities IKEA are now looking to move into the centre.i cant remember the reasons why but it is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boardy

It makes sense for them to locate in the middle of big cities because their furniture is ideal for the apartment dweller. From my experience with IKEA, it was a pain getting to the suburbs to get their furniture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 lexington

evie wrote:

There are numerous issues concerning the plan that need to be ironed out yet - first off, finalisation on the site grouping needs to be configured, then detailled design and finally planning. Pre-planning discussions have been held but I doubt we will see an application until later this year at the earliest.
    boardy wrote:
    It makes sense for them to locate in the middle of big cities because their furniture is ideal for the apartment dweller. From my experience with IKEA, it was a pain getting to the suburbs to get their furniture.

Interestingly IKEA UK have indicated that they are seeking now for more favourable city locations rather than suburban locations which the deem to be less profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

If the Munster Ag Soc moved out to Ballincollig, it would be nice to see that area really revamped, maybe with CAB being pitched out of that awkward monahan's road location and alternative access provided to the Blackrock road via the Marina. A lot of people use Monahan's road to Ballintemple and I'm sure the locals aren't thrilled about it.

For people heading to the Tunnel from the Commercial Park that could be very nice, and obviously a light rail link along the old Passage West alignment would be better still. The idea in the City Plan for a pedestrian walk is grand and all, but Cork needs light rail on the south side and especially with Mahon Point, the Pairc and the docklands on the alignment with the possibility of running it through town to UCC/CIT/CUH/Ballincollig/County Hall.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=cork,+ireland&btnG=Search&ll=51.898555,-8.436019&spn=0.005958,0.021629&t=h

ah i was only joking!!
    the old "empire" is safe for now evie!

Aha, tis you! Thought it was a bit cooincidental! Don't know if the empire is safe, tink there's a disturbance in the force!! Good to hear from you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

dowlingm wrote:
    . A lot of people use Monahan's road to Ballintemple and I'm sure the locals aren't thrilled about it.

We ain't.
    The idea in the City Plan for a pedestrian walk is grand and all, but Cork needs light rail on the south side and especially with Mahon Point, the Pairc and the docklands on the alignment with the possibility of running it through town to UCC/CIT/CUH/Ballincollig/County Hall.

Very valid point. I was thinking the same. That walkway would make a good tram line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mickeydocs

Happy New Year Lex... let's hope Cork continues apace in 2006

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭lynchtp

mickeydocs wrote:
    Happy New Year Lex
    You kept this place quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

damien.m wrote:
    Very valid point. I was thinking the same. That walkway would make a good tram line.

there was a plan last year to turn this into a green bus route but it was shot down very fast, way too many people use it for exercise and whatnot
    /shrug

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Lexington seems to have gone to ground again. Any chance of a reappearance either here or on archiseek? Your informed posts are much missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Nina_Angelica

Would anyone happen to have the web address' of projects like
    Camden Court and Water Street, etc.?

Do the builders have an actual website for people to view who might be interested in purchasing a unit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boardy

Would anyone happen to have the web address' of projects like
    Camden Court and Water Street, etc.?

Do the builders have an actual website for people to view who might be interested in purchasing a unit?

Generally, the auctioneer would have them listed on their sites. A Google search gave me this information on Camden Court:
    http://www.hok.ie/residential/displaycorknewhomes.aspx?prop_id=10004962

boardy wrote:
    Generally, the auctioneer would have them listed on their sites. A Google search gave me this information on Camden Court:
    http://www.hok.ie/residential/displaycorknewhomes.aspx?prop_id=10004962

Thanks for that!

I was hoping to find actual websites where you can read about the builder, the project, maybe view floorplans etc. oh well, it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Does anyone know if there exists an up to date listing of all the new developments in Cork that have unit available. myhome.ie frustrating because so often you ring up to find everything is gone.

Try www.daft.ie that was always my pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

daft is even worse than myhome for leaving stuff up when they are all sold. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bippy

Just a suggestion, but as part of the docklands redevelpment how about the GAA, Cork city council and a developer (Howard Holdings?) knocking Pairc Ui Chaoimh and developing a new 50,000 all seater state of the art all purpose stadium with a conference/concert venue and training/leisure facilities (swimming pool complex, all weather pitches,parks etc) on that site and also on the showgrounds site.
    Also the developer can as part of the agreement build offices and housing/apartments as part of the whole complex.
    All week the place will be busy with people working in the area and in the evenings and weekends they will be replaced by people enjoying themselves at a match or concert or using the leisure facilities.
    Portsmouth AFC are to develop something similar in their dockland area.
    http://www.pompeyfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewStadiumDetail/0,,10396~1016037,00.html
    The same Architects have designes the Allianz Arena and the Olmypic stadium in Beijing

• Advertisement
Advertisement