Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
21-11-2005, 17:20   #1
chabsey
Registered User
 
chabsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 813
Installing a multi-fuel stove

I have been quoted €500 for the installation of a multifuel stove. This doesn't include the price of two extra lengths of flue pipe (which I've already bought). It seems too high, the guy who quoted me that price didn't mention anything about it being a particularly difficult install, and to me it seems quite straightforward.

The stove, hearth and extra pipes are already paid for, €500 just seems far too high for the installation.

Has anyone got any recommendations for someone to install one of these stoves?
chabsey is offline  
Advertisement
21-11-2005, 19:18   #2
rooferPete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,493
Hi chabsey,

If the istallation is done properly and finished properly then it's not as expensive as it may first appear, I know we charge more but that's for the finished job.

Questions to be asked are how does he intend attaching to or breaking in to your existing flue ?

Does the installation include provision for cleaning the chimney ?

Does the cost include removing the rubbish and will you need to do any further work when he is finished ?

I had a call last week to a Lady who had spent more than you have been quoted and the stove would not work.

On investigation it hadn't a chance, the original fire place was bricked up with the attitude it's behind the stove you'll never see it.

The connection was a classic he attached a piece of flexiflue to the back of the stove and built it into the fireplace, to clean the chimney the stove was to be removed and the chimney rodded through the hole in the wall that a cavern behind it.

Total cost told to me by the customer 840.00 euro.

.
rooferPete is offline  
Thanks from:
22-11-2005, 09:25   #3
chabsey
Registered User
 
chabsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 813
Thanks for the reply. The reason it seems so high to me is that the place where we bought the fireplace told us that we should expect to pay 250 -300 euros. So when this guy quoted us 500, and didn't make any attempt to sound like it was a difficult job (and therefore more expensive) it just seemed far too high.

I know someone who has recently (in the last 3-4 years) bought three of these multifuel stoves and has got them installed and he seemed shocked by that price too.

I've swept the chimney myself and the fireplace is cleaned out and in perfect order, just awaiting a stove to be placed into it. There's even no curved flue pipes involved, just two lengths of straight pipe which is much cheaper.

I'm at a loss as to why he has quoted so high, except maybe he's chancing his arm and seeing if we'll pay.
chabsey is offline  
26-11-2007, 15:43   #4
00jes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mayo
Posts: 14
stove instilation

hi there,

i have recently bought a multi fule stove and am ready to install it. the chimley has never been used as it is a new house and iv put in a tiled hearth for the stove to sit on. the stove is a non boiler model. do you know anywhere i can get a detailed instilation manual.also the stove is a 12 kw firewarm stove and i would apreciate any info on this make good or bad.

regards,
jes
00jes is offline  
29-11-2007, 22:17   #5
pjq
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 186
00jes,
Someone else had info issues also http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=43725

pjq
pjq is offline  
Advertisement
02-12-2007, 13:52   #6
De_man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cork
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00jes View Post
hi there,

i have recently bought a multi fule stove and am ready to install it. the chimley has never been used as it is a new house and iv put in a tiled hearth for the stove to sit on. the stove is a non boiler model. do you know anywhere i can get a detailed instilation manual.also the stove is a 12 kw firewarm stove and i would apreciate any info on this make good or bad.

regards,
jes
the shop where you bought the stove should give you an installation manual
, installing a stove is pretty straightforward..if you willing to give me 500yoyo i'd drive the length of the country for the job 100 yoyo would be more appropriate with all the materials supplied by you

we've installed nestor martin stoves in our gaff they're all pretty much the same have a look at the installation manuals for those, can be found on the following link it'll give you an idea of whats involved.

http://www.euroheat.co.uk/docandpdfs...derid=27&show1

i'm very slow to give a detailed step by step guide just in case
De_man is offline  
22-11-2008, 20:04   #7
jskak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1
stove installation

Solid fuel fires can be just as likely as gas fires to cause carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning if they are poorly installed, faulty or incorrectly used. Inadequate insulation of a chimney causes condensation, which combines with the fumes to produce tar and sulphuric acid. This attacks the brickwork, eating into the mortar resulting in dangerous joint leakage and carries with it combustible tars which settle deep into the brickwork. At best this will eventually show as tar staining on the outer walls of the chimney and at worst it will eventually ignite and could also lead to the total collapse of the chimneystack.
check these guys out, they seem to really know they're stuff.
http://csai.ie/
may cost more but remember about paying peanuts and getting monkeys...
jskak is offline  
22-11-2008, 20:58   #8
copper12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: peoples republic cork
Posts: 347
There’s plenty of treads here dealing with stove installation; some have detailed pictures
Installing a stove provided you follow the manufactures instruction; fall well within the DIY list of things’ you can do’ remember follow the manufactories installation instructions’ and you cant go wrong
copper12 is offline  
23-11-2008, 01:19   #9
Kat1170
Registered User
 
Kat1170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: West Wicklow
Posts: 928
Plenty of advice here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055394080
IMHO if a fireplace/chimney is in good enough condition to have an open fire in it safely then it should be good enough to install a stove.

Last edited by Kat1170; 23-11-2008 at 01:21.
Kat1170 is offline  
Advertisement
23-11-2008, 01:56   #10
gsxr1
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskak View Post
Solid fuel fires can be just as likely as gas fires to cause carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning if they are poorly installed, faulty or incorrectly used. Inadequate insulation of a chimney causes condensation, which combines with the fumes to produce tar and sulphuric acid. This attacks the brickwork, eating into the mortar resulting in dangerous joint leakage and carries with it combustible tars which settle deep into the brickwork. At best this will eventually show as tar staining on the outer walls of the chimney and at worst it will eventually ignite and could also lead to the total collapse of the chimneystack.
check these guys out, they seem to really know they're stuff.
http://csai.ie/
may cost more but remember about paying peanuts and getting monkeys...
......

Last edited by gsxr1; 23-11-2008 at 12:02. Reason: drink
gsxr1 is offline  
24-11-2008, 12:51   #11
fmcc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North West
Posts: 225
I.m gonna tread carefully here but just to highlight how many members are in the chimney sweeps association? to my knowledge at present is one could be wrong but no members are highlighted in the members section.

Stoves can be installed by a competent diy person as long as they have a good understanding of whats required.
I dont agree with all the guys says on his webpage but he is a also not saying anything incorrect. Is a liner the best option yes is it absoloutly nesesary no imho.
Should you use 90 degree bends and horizontal flue runs no not in an ideal world but if needs must you can.
Ideals are great and if you are building a house then you may be able to make decisions for the future of your heating applainces but if you are adapting your chimney for a stove then you will end up using some of the above.
fmcc is offline  
24-11-2008, 15:19   #12
jack of all
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Midlands
Posts: 1,234
fmcc offers some of the best advice on this subject, imho. When I purchased my stove I found a lot of contradictory information and advice out there on their installation (flue liner/ no flue liner, register plate/ no register plate etc.). I took advice from three sources in the end: the merchant that supplied the stove, a fireplace manufacturer/ stove installer and here! In my situation I was happy that the existing chimney was very sound, had an excellent draw etc so I didn't line it with the flexible liner. I think the safe installation of a small stove is well within the capabilities of a competent DIYer, with proper planning and design beforehand.
jack of all is online now  
31-10-2010, 11:44   #13
millb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 20
Any advice /recommendations on a small dimension multi-fuel - heat only stove (5-8 kW rating) that can use an 8 inch diameter clay chimney without having to get a liner.
millb is offline  
14-12-2010, 22:31   #14
jimmi jaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1
new stove problems

i have a stove 1 year it only just heats 3 radiators.Its a herculese and is supposed to heat up to 20 ,any suggestions?
jimmi jaz is offline  
15-12-2010, 12:27   #15
cabledude
Registered User
 
cabledude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabsey View Post
I have been quoted €500 for the installation of a multifuel stove. This doesn't include the price of two extra lengths of flue pipe (which I've already bought). It seems too high, the guy who quoted me that price didn't mention anything about it being a particularly difficult install, and to me it seems quite straightforward.

The stove, hearth and extra pipes are already paid for, €500 just seems far too high for the installation.

Has anyone got any recommendations for someone to install one of these stoves?
I had a stove installed recently and the installer ( who is a plumber ) charged €500. This included install of stove, sorting flue, plumbing it to central heating system, checking it, etc etc. He spend 22 hours on the job. A very fair price in my opinion. €500 just to install that does not include plumbing is a complete rip off. As eddie hobbs would say ' Rip off ireland is alive and well '
cabledude is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet