Is lucozade bad for you? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-11-2005, 23:35   #1
^CwAzY^

Is lucozade bad for you?

Ever since I gave up smoking (about 2 weeks ago) I've been hooked on the stuff (lucozade original), drink about 2 litres of it a day, just wondering what effect this could have on my health.. suppose it can't be worse than tobacco.. also why is lucozade so much more expensive than other soft drinks (Like €3 for 2 litres, compared to about €1.70 for coke/7up/etc) Thanks!
Advertisement
18-11-2005, 23:47   #2
johnnyrotten

Yep!
18-11-2005, 23:51   #3
leeroybrown

Well nothing that contains large quantities of both sugar and caffeine is particularly good for you.
18-11-2005, 23:56   #4
Wertz

I used get an insanely bad headache as a child if I drank lucozade...never happened with any other soft drink.
Personally I'd go for a sugary option over the artificial sweetener option every time...I trust sugar over synthesised chemicals especially in something I tend to ingest a lot of...
18-11-2005, 23:57   #5
Ag marbh

Which lucozade are we talking about? Lucozade sport or the red one with glucose.

PS - Remember the lucozade chalkey sweets.
Advertisement
19-11-2005, 00:28   #6
Shabadu

I suppose the thing to focus on is that it is helping you off the smokes, which are far worse for you. My grandmother used tea to give up smoking, every time she wanted a cigarette she'd pop on the kettle.

If you look up the ingredients/additives/colourings* on the web it'll detail any information about them. It's not great to be having something so sugar loaded frequently, but if you feel it is a temporary measure that you'll cut back on once the major symptoms of addiction pass, I'd say keep it up! Bear in mind that most health professionals maintain that a high sugar diet can lead to developing Type II diabetes.

* E102 (tartrazine) + E110 (sunset yellow)= bad. Lead to hyperactivity.

E number guide here: http://www.ukfoodguide.net/enumeric.htm

However, I must state that we are not in a position to give professional advice. If you have health related queries, you should visit your doctor.
19-11-2005, 08:18   #7
xzanti

I dont think they should be allowed advertise that it "rehydrates" you faster than water??? How tf can it do that?? Water is the best thing you can possibly drink
19-11-2005, 09:53   #8
Sarky
Closed Account

I recall my doctor saying there was something very dodgy about Lucosade in large amounts. Two litres of any soft drink a day is far from healthy, anyway.
19-11-2005, 10:36   #9
TerrorFirmer

2 Litres of Lucozade a day is very bad for you.

Its an energy drink first of all, so not only designed for sporting, 2 litres is really gonna start showing if you don't cut down.....!

Unless of course, you are a really intensive athlete
Advertisement
19-11-2005, 11:49   #10
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzanti
I dont think they should be allowed advertise that it "rehydrates" you faster than water??? How tf can it do that?? Water is the best thing you can possibly drink
that's the iso tonic bit , gatorade , procari etc but they all contain sugar / glucose / destrose. Cola too gives you a boost and increases your blood sugar lever for a while, but when the caffine wears off and you fall further than if you hadn't taken the caffine/sugar.

how about a diet / caffine free lucozade type drink ?
19-11-2005, 14:30   #11
Shabadu

Quote:
Actually, it contains electrolytes the body loses during excercise such as Potassium. It does rehydrate you faster.
20-11-2005, 20:17   #12
xzanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabadu
Actually, it contains electrolytes the body loses during excercise such as Potassium. It does rehydrate you faster.
Yeah? Still tastes like fizzy p*ss though.. Think ill stick with the oul H2O tbh
20-11-2005, 20:26   #13
Shrimp

Send a message via MSN to Shrimp
Too much of anything will have a negative effect in someway. Some more than others of course. 2 liters is excessive
20-11-2005, 20:45   #14
Wertz

Quote:
Yeah? Still tastes like fizzy p*ss though.. Think ill stick with the oul H2O tbh
Isotonic sports drinks like Lucozade Sport bear little or no resemblance to the orange fizzy piss that is Lucozade...

In intense activty, you loose more electrolytes through perspiration than you loose actual water....if you only replace it with water, then you're still down in electrolytes which the body has to synthsise itself in order to replace them.
20-11-2005, 22:28   #15
The Sweeper
Patience, grasshoppa

Send a message via MSN to The Sweeper
Lucozade original... kept me going for three months in 2004...

Followed up by one month of multibionta to get me insides to work again...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion